Portable MW/FW receiver suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8FNR

My wife and I take ocean cruises at least once a year and I really like to take a portable MW/FM radio to listen to the local radio stations while in port. I also like to use one in hotel rooms when traveling.

However my old Grindig MW/FM/SW radio is starting to fail and I want to replace it.

What I want is a rig that weighs less than 3 pounds, has digital tuning, memories and only receives MW and FM. I do not need SW but if you have a rig to suggest that has decent MW/FM reception please do. If possible would like the price to be $100 USD or so.

It does not have to have stereo speakers, in fact I would prefer a larger mono speaker over stereo

Can anyone a suggest a rig for my uses?

Found these and they do look tempting. Has anyone any experience with them?

Sangean PR-D5
Amazon.com: Sangean PR-D5 AM/FM Portable Radio with Digital Tuning and RDS: Electronics

Sangean PR-D9W
Amazon.com: Sangean PR-D9W AM/FM/Weather and Alert Digital Rechargeable Portable Radio: Electronics

Zack
N8FNR

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Tonight I decided to do some FM dxing on the Kaito 1103. This radio is amazing and will pick it all up in a nice little package.

Sounds good for size and sensitive as can be. I never used on FM before but wow. I think an FM dxer would love this radio. MW great, FM great and HF great. What a steal that I never knew I had.

karldotcom

I just got a Tecsun PL380. Played with a little last night and was surprised at the audio quality for such a small package. And the FM was outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.