Possible Pirate? 11170kHz AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I may have rolled in late. Nothing heard at 1757z. I'll dial it up tomorrow.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Yes I noticed it for the last three weeks. Just thought it was a regular shortwave station.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Just thought it was a regular shortwave station.
11175 kHz is often used by the U.S. Air Force to send Emergency Action Messages (EAM). To hear music on there would be extremely unusual. Well, I have never heard music on there. Here's a link to a quick read about 11175 kHz and a recording of what one would typically hear for anyone that would like to know more.

I have a dedicated receiver on there now, should it pop up earlier than tomorrow AM.

ridgescan

11175 kHz is often used by the U.S. Air Force to send Emergency Action Messages (EAM). To hear music on there would be extremely unusual. Well, I have never heard music on there. Here's a link to a quick read about 11175 kHz and a recording of what one would typically hear for anyone that would like to know more.

I have a dedicated receiver on there now, should it pop up earlier than tomorrow AM.
It was actually on 11170kHz, but was so strong it was bleeding over to 11175. I couldn't find a listing on any BC on 11170, and I couldn't imagine anyone allowing a strong BC that close to 11175, much less anywhere within that band area.

Token

ridgescan, this is either Sound of Hope (has been using this freq for a while) or the Chinese using CNR1 or Firedrake to jam SoH. I have heard both CNR1 and Firedrake as jammers on this freq, but most common is CNR1.

T!

ridgescan

Thanks nmelfi for the affirmation, vagrant for the links and Token for the solid ID. I regularly monitor 11175 and at the time, the 2.4kHz filter was activated but this thing was still bleeding over enough to draw me to it. Never seen it before-propagation across the Pacific must have been really good. It wasn't the usual maniacal music of Firedrake but rather some pretty nice stuff they were playing, followed by a pleasant-voiced announcer. I think it was VoH.

Status
Not open for further replies.