TRX-1: Possibly defective TRX-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunnerFL

So yesterday I got a new TRX-1 thinking I may retire my PSR-800. I setup the TRX-1 and start scanning, it picks up nothing. I fire up my PSR-800 and sit it next to the TRX-1. The PSR-800 starts picking up transmissions without an issue. I've programmed the TRX-1 to have the identical library, scan set and scanlist that my PSR-800 has and the TRX-1 picks up maybe 1 in 10 transmissions that the PSR-800 picks up. The TRX-1 does occasionally pick up what the PSR-800 does but that's not very often at all. I've made sure the squelch level is the same on both. I've gone so far as swap the SD cards between the scanners and the TRX-1 still only picks up 1 in 10 of the transmissions that the PSR-800 does. I've also swapped antennas, batteries (yeah I know, crazy) same end result.

I have made sure the TRX-1 has all the updates available for it (CPU, DSP, Library, etc).

I'm thinking the TRX-1 needs to go back to Amazon for swap but wanted to post here first to see if any of you have had this issue and resolved it somehow.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Palm Beach Countywide site is a 6-tower simulcast site. You are probably suffering from simulcast distortion. All of the towers transmit on the same frequency at the same time. The signals arrive at your scanner at slightly different times which degrades the scanner's ability to properly decode the control channel. From the reports I have seen, the TRX-1 and TRX-2 are the worst scanners for simulcast reception. Apparently, your PSR-800 handles it better. The Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile are the only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast systems. Try turning on the attenuator. You can also try removing the antenna and replacing it with a paperclip. Your scanner may even be able to receive the site with no antenna. Receiving fewer towers will improve control channel decoding. When dealing with simulcast, less signal is often better.

RunnerFL

Hmmm, so maybe I'll just send the TRX-1 back and not retire my PSR-800. I've tried different ATT settings, still not picking up anything. Same results with no antenna but I'll try the paperclip just out of curiosity. Maybe I'll try removing a couple of the towers from my config.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I ave the 800. With the Whistler factory upgrade, it does a very good job in my simulcast situation (each system can have varying results). I also have the Radio Shack version of the 800, and with the same upgrade also improved greatly. If the new radio doesn't receive anything, I doubt if simulcast is the problem. Did you try switching the USB card?

RunnerFL

I ave the 800. With the Whistler factory upgrade, it does a very good job in my simulcast situation (each system can have varying results). I also have the Radio Shack version of the 800, and with the same upgrade also improved greatly. If the new radio doesn't receive anything, I doubt if simulcast is the problem. Did you try switching the USB card?

As I mentioned in my original post I swapped SD cards between the TRX-1 and PSR-800. The TRX-1 only occasionally receives the trunk channels I'm searching for. When it comes to conventional it doesn't seem to have an issue.

tvengr

Well Known Member
the TRX-1 picks up maybe 1 in 10 transmissions that the PSR-800 picks up.
I've gone so far as swap the SD cards between the scanners and the TRX-1 still only picks up 1 in 10 of the transmissions that the PSR-800 does. I've also swapped antennas,
If the new radio doesn't receive anything, I doubt if simulcast is the problem. Did you try switching the USB card?
The OP's TRX-1 scanner receives some of the transmissions that the PSR-800 does. It is not deaf. The OP also swapped SD cards. Also says conventional is OK. That is why I suspect simulcast distortion. Jaspence, do you have a TRX-1 or TRX-2 to compare to your PSR-800?

The countywide site is a single site with 6 towers. There is no way to remove certain towers from that site. Your scanner looks for the site with the best signal and uses only that one, no matter how many sites are programmed. You can setup 5 systems with all of the talkgroups with each system using a different single site. By assigning each system to a different scan list, you can easily select which site or sites you want to scan.

Last edited:

RunnerFL

The countywide site is a single site with 6 towers. There is no way to remove certain towers from that site.

There are 5 sites for the talk group, with anywhere from 5 to 21 frequencies for each. You can easily remove sites by selecting it and clicking on delete.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 113558.png

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
2 different scanners, start tweaking the settings in the trx-1 advanced tab in ezscan. plus the site thresholds

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can easily remove sites by selecting it and clicking on delete.
It is easier to click on L/O to lockout the site. One thing to check: The Government Center Complex site uses 700 MHz frequencies. Under Site Options, Trunking Tables for that site must be set to Auto Fill.

RunnerFL

It is easier to click on L/O to lockout the site. One thing to check: The Government Center Complex site uses 700 MHz frequencies. Under Site Options, Trunking Tables for that site must be set to Auto Fill.

Ahh, didn't think of L/O. I setup a new V-Scanner and removed all except the "countywide" site and so far so good.

RunnerFL

Locking out every site except "countywide" and locking out some extra frequencies for the countywide site seems to have resolved my problem. Thanks for the help!

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
And just what settings would you suggest? lol
I don't live in your home, so whatever works for your location...sorry I can't be more specific but if the default settings under the advance tab do not work for you, One has to dial the scanner in for your exact location for P25...that is why there are so many adjustments.

RunnerFL

I don't live in your home, so whatever works for your location...sorry I can't be more specific but if the default settings under the advance tab do not work for you, One has to dial the scanner in for your exact location for P25...that is why there are so many adjustments.

Has nothing to do with my home. Telling someone to just play with the settings without suggesting a setting, especially when most in advanced settings don't even apply to reception, is silly. Oh, and btw, I made no changes in there and everything is fine now.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Has nothing to do with my home. Telling someone to just play with the settings without suggesting a setting, especially when most in advanced settings don't even apply to reception, is silly. Oh, and btw, I made no changes in there and everything is fine now.
I did suggest settings...the factory DEFAULT ones......With some systems location is EVERYTHING, move the scanner one inch and it picks up...that is a unarguable fact with the whistler trx for some people. Glad you figured it out without having to chase the advanced setting such as DSP. DAC, adc and then the site thresholds.

Status
Not open for further replies.