Pottstown PART

Status
Not open for further replies.

philacop

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what type of radio system Pottstown is using for there public transportation system known as PART?
Pottstown Area Regional Trsnsportation

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Have you confirmed they are using radios? I'm not seeing a license by that name nor related to transit in Pottstown. I did some research and determined they are owned by the borough of Pottstown, doubtful they'd be on any of their licenses. Other possibilities would be the Part 90-35A leasing services (Sunshine, Triangle, Commpaths, etc) but I think I have most of those talkgroups figured out, don't ever remember hearing transit comms in Pottstown. Not sure...

Last edited:

royldean

TakePART (I used to live on Wilson Street.... never rode the bus, though). Maybe when the whole CV thing blows over I'll take a quick trip down there and turn on close call.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
I have heard them infrequently. Its an analog system with a repeater and I have it programmed in my BC365CRS. I think the frequency is 501.1375, which is assigned to Pottstown borough. Since that radio does not have alpha tags, I am going off of memory, so if I am wrong, pardon me.

I have only heard them at night around 10 pm as they seem to make their last runs, and they check in with base. I don’t monitor much during the daytime, so I don’t know how active they may be.

jwco16

It was the T-Band frequency, the last time I was there. The VHF is the old PD channel and now used by public works, codes, etc.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
And the 155.835 freq used by boro PW is now DMR (MotoTRBO). Although the PW crew seems to use their phones more than the radio, I have heard them plowing during snow storms.

I did hear a transmission on PART’s freq yesterday since I was around to monitor for a bit, so it is 501.1375 and analog.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I did some research and determined they are owned by the borough of Pottstown, doubtful they'd be on any of their licenses.

I think the frequency is 501.1375, which is assigned to Pottstown borough.
Wow, OK. Guess I shouldn't have doubted my initial thoughts. I'll plug that freq into one of my radios here and see if I get any hits...

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
4 hours went by, no hits. If the repeater is putting out all 65W they're authorized for I should be able to pick it up from where I am with an external antenna above my roof line

I did hear a transmission on PART’s freq yesterday since I was around to monitor for a bit, so it is 501.1375 and analog.
Were you able to determine a tone or is it CSQ?

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
I don’t know of any tone as I have it programmed into an older Bearcat 210XLT and a BC365CRS, so I can’t tell.
What I did hear yesterday as I had some time to sit on the frequency was only a short exchange of someone asking if they were clear, and an acknowledgment. In the past, I have heard short exchanges as drivers finish up their run for the night and say good night to the dispatcher ??? or whoever is on the other end.

As for Pottstown boro PW using DMR when not licensed for it...??? That is what they have been using for the past few years. I have heard them plowing on my DMR-enabled scanners. Just TS1 CC1 IIRC. Again, I don’t typically monitor the scanner during normal business hours, but I have not heard much on 155.835 and have been told they just use their cell phones for most of their needed communications.

I well remember when Pottstown PD (94 PD) was on 155.835, as I was a police officer in a neighboring municipality, and we had 94PD in our VHF township radios, to monitor for the more “interesting” calls that 94 would get. Back then, I might be dispatched for a loose cow or sheep in the roadway, where 94 might actually have a shooting. That’s what we called an “away game”.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I find it interesting that 155.835 does not show licensed for DMR.
I've seen DMR in use more often than not where the frequencies don't include DMR emissions on the license. WQRF657 is another example. All DMR, though you'd never know it just by looking at the license. License is also "terminated" but the frequencies are still in use & no, there's isn't a more up-to-date active license at this site, I've searched

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
yep, it happens all the time..

East Nottingham Twp
NextLevel.gif

FrequencyInput
LicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
159.18000151.01000WPVJ485RM71.9 PLE Notting PWPublic WorksFMNPublic Works

They still use the above.. But..
They have also started using P25 NAC 293 as a flagger ch this year.. no updates to license though..

Pottstown may be simplex only.. and much lower pwr than authorized, despite a potential repeater..
anything on 504.1375 ?

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
Ok, since I am able to sit and monitor PART during this confiscation of my civil liberties, I heard “base” call all the buses this morning around 8:00 AM. Base called to make contact with all buses, calling them by their route names, such as “Base to Yellow Line“, “Base to Green Line”, etc. (you can see the routes/schedules at their website
PART
I guess we can confirm that frequency.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
And as a follow up to u2brent’s link above, the address of 902 Farmington Ave listed as a tower site, is the location of CMD Transportation Services (CMD Services on the FCC license search site WRCE916), that provides school bus transportation services to Pottstown and Pottsgrove school districts. They are the operator of PART on behalf of Pottstown borough, and the location of the repeater.

jwco16

I don’t know of any tone as I have it programmed into an older Bearcat 210XLT and a BC365CRS, so I can’t tell.
What I did hear yesterday as I had some time to sit on the frequency was only a short exchange of someone asking if they were clear, and an acknowledgment. In the past, I have heard short exchanges as drivers finish up their run for the night and say good night to the dispatcher ??? or whoever is on the other end.

As for Pottstown boro PW using DMR when not licensed for it...??? That is what they have been using for the past few years. I have heard them plowing on my DMR-enabled scanners. Just TS1 CC1 IIRC. Again, I don’t typically monitor the scanner during normal business hours, but I have not heard much on 155.835 and have been told they just use their cell phones for most of their needed communications.

I well remember when Pottstown PD (94 PD) was on 155.835, as I was a police officer in a neighboring municipality, and we had 94PD in our VHF township radios, to monitor for the more “interesting” calls that 94 would get. Back then, I might be dispatched for a loose cow or sheep in the roadway, where 94 might actually have a shooting. That’s what we called an “away game”.
The AWAY GAME! Yeah, a drive by shooting in Pottstown used to bring about 10 other police agencies in, needed or not!!

Status
Not open for further replies.