POTUS Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterbwuk

Feed Provider
POTUS is going to be in NC next week, I know specifically in the western areas. Anyone have any suggestions on stuff to watch out for to monitor? I imagine all of secret service communications are encrypted so no point in trying that unless someone needs NAC's verified or anything?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
According to WXII 12, he will be visiting Flavor First Growers & Packers in Mills River, Henderson County. Think the closest airport would be Ashville Regional. Be interesting to see if any new (temporary) trunking sites appear during the visit.

sloop

Back when President Obama visited NC all Secret Service was encrypted. Communications was little to none with everything planned out in advance. With that being said, communications with local agencies was done on a secure NIFOG channel with the Highway Patrol in charge of the local agencies. I doubt that anything will be on Viper since they tend to want to keep things 'local' (e.g. simplex). Less chance of interference. Still have my copy of 'instructions' that we were given.

waterbwuk

Feed Provider
Back when President Obama visited NC all Secret Service was encrypted. Communications was little to none with everything planned out in advance. With that being said, communications with local agencies was done on a secure NIFOG channel with the Highway Patrol in charge of the local agencies. I doubt that anything will be on Viper since they tend to want to keep things 'local' (e.g. simplex). Less chance of interference. Still have my copy of 'instructions' that we were given.

About what I was thinking. I was wondering about VIPER as I very rarely listen to that system. Maybe once every few months I'll switch over and see what's going on. I don't even have it programmed into anything right now. I suppose I may check it out during the visit just to see, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for federal frequencies and new/temporary trunking systems popping up.

I found this online also: https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...operability Field Operations Guide v1 6 1.pdf

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
SHP is usually on an event channel and the SHP Motor Viper TG, also you should listen to airport units (non-aerial).

According to media reports, Marine One will be at the Ashville Regional Airport a little after 2pm Monday. He will be at the Flavor 1st Growers & Packers in Mills River around 3:30pm. Actual schedule will not be released until Monday morning.

waterbwuk

Feed Provider
SHP is usually on an event channel and the SHP Motor Viper TG, also you should listen to airport units (non-aerial).

According to media reports, Marine One will be at the Ashville Regional Airport a little after 2pm Monday. He will be at the Flavor 1st Growers & Packers in Mills River around 3:30pm. Actual schedule will not be released until Monday morning.

The only "airport units" I know of would be a couple of officers with Asheville PD unless you mean something else? I imagine Asheville PD will be involved, but I know they have several encrypted talkgroups so I wouldn't be surprised if they switch over to those, but you never know.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
According to media reports, Marine One will be at the Ashville Regional Airport a little after 2pm Monday.
Happened to see Marine One (or similar) being towed to a hangar earlier today at KAVL. Three Marine Ospreys were also parked on the ramp, but that may or may not be related to the POTUS visit as we see them there from time to time.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Happened to see Marine One (or similar) being towed to a hangar earlier today at KAVL. Three Marine Ospreys were also parked on the ramp, but that may or may not be related to the POTUS visit as we see them there from time to time.

Don't know why they'd be there now, Marine 1 will be delivering POTUS to AVL from somewhere else on Monday afternoon, seldomly do they stage aircraft at the destination rather than the starting point. But anything is possible.

waterbwuk

Feed Provider
FYI, looks like he’ll be flying into KGSP. There are two TFR’s for Monday around KAVL and KGSP. Those are the only two in NC right now.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Arrival schedules here...

Mills River here...

waterbwuk

Feed Provider
I figured KCLT would be the best place to land. Apparently I missed the TFR for Charlotte last night (was only looking at VIP, it's listed under Security): 0/5687 NOTAM Details

spacellamaman

if you check the times etc on the TFRs that usually a safe bet with only rare deviations i imagine. i was going to copy and paste them all, but their obviously huge. so if interested just hit up google for the following:

FDC 0/6217 - NC..AIRSPACE CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA..TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS.

FDC 0/6076 - NC..AIRSPACE ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA..TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS.

FDC 0/5687 - NC..AIRSPACE CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA..TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS.

good visual rep of the TFRs on

the mil a/c at avl could also just be incidental and unrelated too, though its interesting timing.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
USSS Ch Baker 165.7875, NAC 001, TG 65535, active near Charlotte airport (encrypted of course)

spacellamaman

Well dunno what thread to post this in, so i choose this one. Spent bout an hour at a prominent high point in central nc searching the fed bands, having been prompted due to rx'ing:

USSS Ch Baker 165.7875, NAC 001, TG 65535, active near Charlotte airport (encrypted of course)

which i have only caught one previous time, 3 or 4 years back. interestingly it was in the clear " Victor, Hotel, Foxtrot, radio check", on that occasion. Anyway this time i noted a RID of 1111111, which i thought interesting.

None of the following is particularly special or unknown but I submit it for the record.

165.375 $001 TG4095, RID 11321

all comms i have noted over the past few days using $167 have been TG 1 RID 0 aside from:

168.9875 $167 TG 1 RID 3099021 (which should familiar to most locals)

also rx'd:
169.6625 $167
170.1250 $167

and it appears that some form of simulcasting is being done, (as when one was active so were the other two) on the following:

167.2125 $167
170.8625 $167
171.6875 $167

i also noted on my PRO668 one rx of 172.6375 $1F1, but i suspect that was some sort of VIPER bleed over as this has happened in the past from this location.

and a side note, for the second time in the past couple of days Ft Bragg BSTRS Site 2 is using 386.25 as it's CC instead of 386.1.

Well thats all I got. Cue the Sublime.

Baddad

Premium Subscriber
I saw this outside the Convention Center yesterday. I assume that it's a mobile repeater of some kind. Anybody have a better idea?
RNC Radio.jpg

Also NC National Guard has been very active with radio checks on VIPER the last couple of days. Haven't seen any presence on the streets though.

Did see a couple V22 Ospreys flying around yesterday and today.

CLT Airport is now shutdown for "VIP Movement". CFD just announced that AF 2 has landed safely on their Juliet Ops channel. Trump in around 11:45.

CMPD Central District dispatch switched to CEU encrypted channels Saturday night during the protest and has stayed there so not hearing much from them.

Haven't heard any federal traffic in the clear

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.