PPB encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMT760

I'm new to Portland scanning. My understanding is that most of the channels are encrypted now?(PPB) I read the previous thread where I believe main dispatch channels are not? That's always been a fear 100% encryption. Yikes..

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
Internet streaming is, or at least should be irrelevant. The ability for the general public to listen to routine police dispatch traffic in their community is a vital component of police transparency and police/public relations. This is about more than scanning as a "hobby", there are political implications for this, and as the constituency, we need to be lobbying for this in the name of law enforcement transparency, not as hobbyists.

JATO757

Internet streaming is, or at least should be irrelevant. The ability for the general public to listen to routine police dispatch traffic in their community is a vital component of police transparency and police/public relations. This is about more than scanning as a "hobby", there are political implications for this, and as the constituency, we need to be lobbying for this in the name of law enforcement transparency, not as hobbyists.

Absolutely! Spot on.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
In addition, unencrypted channels can allow people to be extra eyes and ears for police when they hear about something on the scanner (say a vehicle description or a place they know about) and call in with info they have. Or to know that an incident is already known about and there's no need for another 911 call. Or to know to stay away from an area where an incident is or has just happened.

Archives of feeds also allow people to get an idea of what happened without bothering and paying police records personnel and then waiting for the reply. I run https://twitter.com/rosecitytransit/lists/pdx911logs and have the script behind it e-mail me when there's an incident in the areas I'm interested in, and use the archives to find out what happened.

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
While these benefits are all true, you have to think about the best strategic way to make it happen. While "hobbyists", "extra eyes", reduction of duplicate 911 calls", etc are all definitely valid, you have to think about which argument is actually the most likely to exert real pressure and actually get this idea to work. And in this city, and in this climate, that answer is "police transparency".

A single, unified effort into making the simple argument of "PPB, you want to improve your agency's relationship with the public, therefore let them listen to your routine dispatch traffic in the name of police transparency" has got to be the best shot at actual success.

PaulNDaOC

I am a former LEO dispatcher and now am news media and was a kid with a radio way in the distant past so my current opinion drawers from all those experiences.

I think this trend is very bad, bad, bad, because you put the police in the position of deciding for the first time since about World War II what is and is not news and what the public is entitled to know.

I can't for the life of me find any benefit to come from this as far as regular dispatch channels are concerned. It's very easy to relay confidential information (Mdt/cell phone) and I have absolutely no issue with sensitive operations being conducted on a designated encrypted radio channel.

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
I am rather intrigued. I wanted to see how open the communications were in the Portland area. Is this the radio system with all of the encryption on it? If so, has it been updated. The saturation of encryption for some cities in Texas disallows dispatch talk groups being in the clear (Fort Worth). Portland Trunking System, Portland, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies

This is indeed the main public safety radio system in Portland. For PPB, the normal dispatch talkgroups have not actually become encrypted, but rather they are now going unused, and the already-encrypted/previously-rarely-used "TAC 1" talkgroups are now being used for all routine dispatch traffic.

Baker845

The biggest reason, PPB is on encrypted Tac 1 talkgroups, is to keep the trash that is ruining the city from hearing what they are doing. Sad as it may be i understand there reason. If those people that are trashing the city heard PPB calls they be there trying to hurt officers.

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
The biggest reason, PPB is on encrypted Tac 1 talkgroups, is to keep the trash that is ruining the city from hearing what they are doing. Sad as it may be i understand there reason. If those people that are trashing the city heard PPB calls they be there trying to hurt officers.

The PPB's "Rapid Response Team" or RRT (aka "riot police") have talkgroup 473 allocated to their activities, which is already encrypted, and was actually already in use for protest-response purposes before the switch to Tac 1 occurred. The use of encryption during specific incidents is one thing, but what we've observed is the transition of ALL routine dispatch traffic in all 3 precincts being moved to an encrypted TG in the wake of the protests... I'd find it hard to justify why a routine call in deep SE portland would need to be encrypted because of what's going on downtown.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber

Sorry, encryption was planned a long time ago and has been delayed due to BTS staffing but for all intent it’s here to stay.

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
As I've stated before, if there were ever a place and time for public pressure to have any chance of putting a stop to police encryption of routine dispatch traffic, it's now, and it's in Portland.

Baker845

With all the stuff going on with police, makes more sense why they moved over to encryption. Like i said its very sad they did, but command staff want there officers safe and to go home at end of there shifts. If you can't understand that, then maybe a new hobby is in order.

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
With all the stuff going on with police, makes more sense why they moved over to encryption. Like i said its very sad they did, but command staff want there officers safe and to go home at end of there shifts. If you can't understand that, then maybe a new hobby is in order.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that you have paid attention to the nuance of my statements.

Baker845

I seen everything you posted. Not sure you pay attention to what happens every night in the city of Portland.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
As stated before, there is no case law to stop encryption. If the latest response from PPB is silence or “ we’ll get back to you” then you have the satisfaction that you were heard.

No attorney will take up a challenge without a previous case being won.

If you want transparency, then lobby the city council but talking about it here is just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.