Pre amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finto

Do these make a big difference? I was looking into using one with an HP-1. Wanted to get better signal strength for a local P25 system.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do these make a big difference? I was looking into using one with an HP-1. Wanted to get better signal strength for a local P25 system.

If your P25 system is local then you don't need a preamp. You need a better antenna.
A preamp will amplify more noise than signal unless you spend $$$ more.

n9zas

kb2vxa

Banned
The difference they make depends on where you live. In a rural area they work as intended, in an urban environment saturated with RF the difference will be the law of unintended consequences, tons of interference. FYI, P25 is all or nothing so signal strength doesn't mean a thing, as long as you're hearing it that's all that matters.

gewecke

Banned
The difference they make depends on where you live. In a rural area they work as intended, in an urban environment saturated with RF the difference will be the law of unintended consequences, tons of interference. FYI, P25 is all or nothing so signal strength doesn't mean a thing, as long as you're hearing it that's all that matters.

You're right warren, but our local's go digital less than a mile from the sys tower so I think it's more of a multi-path problem in this area.

n9zas

kb2vxa

Banned
A little off topic but I know what you mean, a local PD "goes digital" occasionally and the strong signal never varies so under the circumstances likely it's multipath between the unit and the repeater. Since some are a bit clueless, P25 is digital to begin with and since it came into play dispatchers have gotten in the habit of saying "digital" when they simply said "garbled".

Status
Not open for further replies.