Preprogrammed SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSnake

Hello, all. I'm looking hard at buying an SDS100; many options to choose from exist that I never knew about until recently. Can anyone tell me, from practical experience, if getting a preprogrammed SD card with the radio purchase is worthwhile? If it is, why? What will I gain? Any information is appreciated.

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
I personally don't think it is worth it. If you buy it pre-programmed you will still end up customizing & tweaking it to fit your needs. I would just get the scanner and program it yourself using the Sentinal software. You'll want to learn how to anyway, right?!? Besides you can use the extra $$$ for a better antenna or other accessories.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
On a technical level too, your scanner is already "pre-programmed" (albeit, it will need an update that takes mere seconds to do). The SDS and BCD series come with an SD card with the full radioreference database - you can punch in your area, select items of interest (fire, law, airplanes, whatever) and it can program itself. So paying for something that's basically a feature, isn't worthwhile.

And as others said - better to learn yourself and tweak it to the way YOU want it. It can be lots of fun to narrow down and build your favourites as you please.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me, from practical experience, if getting a preprogrammed SD card with the radio purchase is worthwhile?
-
The programming that the dealers do only takes a couple of minutes with the free Sentinel Software, and is definitely not worth the high prices that they charge for that service. As mentioned above, if you want to tweak the dealer's programming so that it's more suited to what you want to listen to... or as the systems change, you're going to want to learn programming yourself. You can't hurt the scanner by making programming mistakes, and you will learn much more about your scanner that way, and get much more out of it.

nosig55

You can download Sentinel before you purchase the scanner and play around with it and be all ready when you do get it. It's not hard to figure out. I just got a SDS100 and had it going in 15 minutes after it hit the front porch.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
No and Yes:

No for the reasons listed above. Dealers create a Favorites List for you home county. However you may want something from a nearby county that isn't included. Or there may be something in your home county that you don't want to monitor. It is tough for the programmer at your dealer to read your mind on what your specifically desire, or take the time to consult with you on the phone and talk through everything.

Yes because it is a lesson on how one person thinks a Favorites List to be laid out. You can then add/delete as desired. So if money isn't tight, you might buy some education.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, all. I'm looking hard at buying an SDS100; many options to choose from exist that I never knew about until recently. Can anyone tell me, from practical experience, if getting a preprogrammed SD card with the radio purchase is worthwhile? If it is, why? What will I gain? Any information is appreciated.
As already mentioned by several others, the 'dealer programming', when you order online, is something you can easily do yourself, so save that additional cost.

Besides multiple threads here on RadioReference, as well as information in the Wiki, there are a large number of "how to" videos on YouTube. Here's a few I pulled up with a quick search:

In addition, there is an "Easier to Read" manual for your scanner online, as well as another for the Sentinel software.

As nosig has noted, you can download & install Sentinel before your scanner arrives. When you first install Sentinel, the database may be well out of date, by several years, so be sure & update it.

You might also request that your thread be moved to the regional forum for your state. Asking there, you may find someone relatively close to you that will share a file, both giving you a "jump start" in using the scanner, as well as an example of how someone else programs the scanner.

While. in the long term you may find that one or more Favorites lists that cover what you are interest in is the best way to go, you can at least start listening by updating the main database in Sentinel and scan using your location and range. Regardless of whether you use Favorites lists, or your location & range via the main database, be sure to enable the Service types for what you want to hear. When shipped, only the Dispatch service types are enabled for public safety agencies, i.e. Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi Dispatch. You should also enable the Tac & Talk types for these (Fire Tac, Law Talk, for example, plus the same categories for the others).

Also, if you are interested in the paid upgrades that are available for DMR, NXDN, & ProVoice, do not pay the dealer to add them. They'll charge you $75 or more, whereas you can get them direct from Uniden for $50 each for NXDN & ProVoice, and $60 for DMR. ProVoice is pretty much a waste for almost everyone. That type system is no longer supported by the manufacturer. There's only a few active systems still using ProVoice. The others have migrated to a different type system (often P25), and just about all of the few still active systems will be making the move as well. I would advise that you do not purchase any upgrades until you've had your scanner long enough to make sure that there are no issues that might prompt you to return it to the dealer. Once you are comfortable with the scanner, and have verified that everything works as intended, only then would I purchase one or more of the upgrades, if you have found that certain agencies of interest to you use one of those system types.
[

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
In addition, the SDS series of scanners utilizes filters for some reception needs, and that would require you understanding the programming structure to dive into it. It's possible you could become very frustrated with the reception "out of the box" without them. YouTube is very helpful for learning the programming of the SDS scanners.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Put the money you save by NOT paying for pre-programming towards purchasing ProScan, that will help you customize your favorites with ease. ProScan will be with you forever, the pre-programming will eventually be overwritten and long forgotten.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Put the money you save by NOT paying for pre-programming towards purchasing ProScan, that will help you customize your favorites with ease. ProScan will be with you forever, the pre-programming will eventually be overwritten and long forgotten.

Actually...Sentinel is quite easy once it's mastered to use. As with anything it takes time to learn, and it allows Firmware updates (when issued), Clear User Data (needed to reformat new SD cards) and others. Learn how to use and get comfortable with Sentinel first, then venture out to the others once you understand the programming structures and features. If you jump too fast (as many have here), you become frustrated. As I mentioned, YouTube has many helpful videos that you can watch at your own pace. Stop the video, catch up if needed etc. Type in the YouTube search box SDS100 programming/Uniden Sentinel Programming, and you'll see many videos that can start you in the right direction.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I'm not against pre-programming once. It gives you an example to look at before you have to learn how to program yourself.

If you are well versed in and understand how to program, then then having it done when you order the radio is kinda useless.
There are how to videos online and many posts in the forums to read and look at to help you along.
If you download directly from RadioReference or use the database, you will most likely will need to tweak the programming.

TheSnake

Thanks so much for the detailed reply! I'm going to order the unit tomorrow, and will post about my experiences! Mike

TheSnake

That's kinda what I was thinking. Not gonna get the programming option - at least, not now, I'll try it myself. Thanks.

GregOH

I got mine preprogrammed because it was no extra charge and it wasn't long afterwards that I got a new SD card and programmed it with Sentinel myself.

I downloaded Sentinel and made my favorites lists and had it ready to write to the SD card before the radio arrived. If you're waiting for it to show up, now would be a great time to start working with Sentinel IMO.

shansmi

No real need for pre-programming from my experience. I just went through this buying the SDS100 first then a SDS200 a week later. Travel vs home unit... I am new to scanning and started with an Ailunce 100 which is not really a "scanner" plus it did not do p25. It was complicated to program and it took a buddy that had one giving me his file to use as an example to get mine up and running. For the SDS, series these things are easy cheesy to program in comparison. I had mine running at the sales counter by simply putting in my zip code. I picked up a bunch of stuff I was not interested in but it was still working. Once home and Sentinel installed, it was a matter of drilling down in the database to my country, county, city and selecting what I wanted to monitor. Select one and right click on it. Add to favorites (create a new fav on the first one)... done. rinse and repeat for the other stuff you want to monitor. Go through the options a bit to turn off all the national stuff and the other service types I was not interested in then save the changes. Last thing was to hook the scanner up to the PC then write to scanner. Once the cable was unplugged and the scanner rebooted, I was getting what I wanted which is basically all the local stuff.

Hell on this series even loosing a few cool point by reading the manual will get you a long way but I don't think you will need to do so. This platform with Sentinel is a bit more intuitive than other scanner models and you have help here in the forums. The manual will be an absolute last resort.

Did I mention it is a tad addicting? Next you will be getting a case, extra cables, a wall wart, desk stand, an extra battery with charger, maybe a few antennas and a GPS. ROFLMAO!!

Last edited:

TheSnake

What is your city, county, and state so we can look up what is available in your area.? Are there any specific agencies you would like to monitor?

Hi. I live in York County, VA. I like to listen to pretty much everything, but in particular enjoy following EMS and aircraft traffic. Thanks, Mike

TheSnake

No real need for pre-programming from my experience. I just went through this buying the SDS100 first then a SDS200 a week later. Travel vs home unit... I am new to scanning and started with an Ailunce 100 which is not really a "scanner" plus it did not do p25. It was complicated to program and it took a buddy that had one giving me his file to use as an example to get mine up and running. For the SDS, series these things are easy cheesy to program in comparison. I had mine running at the sales counter by simply putting in my zip code. I picked up a bunch of stuff I was not interested in but it was still working. Once home and Sentinel installed, it was a matter of drilling down in the database to my country, county, city and selecting what I wanted to monitor. Select one and right click on it. Add to favorites (create a new fav on the first one)... done. rinse and repeat for the other stuff you want to monitor. Go through the options a bit to turn off all the national stuff and the other service types I was not interested in then save the changes. Last thing was to hook the scanner up to the PC then write to scanner. Once the cable was unplugged and the scanner rebooted, I was getting what I wanted which is basically all the local stuff.

Hell on this series even loosing a few cool point by reading the manual will get you a long way but I don't think you will need to do so. This platform with Sentinel is a bit more intuitive than other scanner models and you have help here in the forums. The manual will be an absolute last resort.

Did I mention it is a tad addicting? Next you will be getting a case, extra cables, a wall wart, desk stand, an extra battery with charger, maybe a few antennas and a GPS. ROFLMAO!!

Stop! I am overwhelmed with anticipation! :) Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.