BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Priority scanning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
I have the local PD dispatch channel (VHF conventional P25) setup as the only priority channel.

I have Priority Scan (not Priority DND) turned on, and it works as I want it to - no matter what, even if the scanner has stopped on another channel, if there is traffic on the PD dispatch channel, it will switch to my priority channel.

What's happening is that when the PD dispatch has a transmission, every 2 seconds (which is my set interval), the audio drops, and the P25 icon goes away. Then, after a brief second, the audio returns, but 2 seconds later, the process repeats.

It's like it keeps trying to scan the priority channel, even when it's currently listening to the priority channel. This causes parts of the conversations to be lost during.

Am I not setting something up correctly, or is this a limitation of having a P25 channel as a priority channel?

Ubbe

Also check that there is DND close call, or none, and you haven't set another analog priority channel by mistake.
Open squelch fully and see what channel it stops on.

/Ubbe

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
well, actually none of these were the exact answer - but, they all pointed me in the direction to where I found out what the deal was, so they all helped.

It ended up me being too dependent on Sentinel's database being "correct". I had just simply selected the county, added it a favorite's list, all without checking for duplicates.

The frequency 155.700 is listed twice in RR's database - once for analog, and once for P25 digital. I had been setting the priority on the analog channel, not the P25 digital, which has replaced their old repeater. The analog channel still had a PL tone set for it, so of course it wasn't ever stopping on that channel, and it was correctly stopping on the P25 digital channel, which wasn't set as a priority - thus causing the scanner to check the old analog channel every 2 seconds.

I set priority on the P25 digital channel, and everything is working the way I want now.

Again, thanks for the push I the right direction, and apologize for my ignorance.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
well, actually none of these were the exact answer - but, they all pointed me in the direction to where I found out what the deal was, so they all helped.

It ended up me being too dependent on Sentinel's database being "correct". I had just simply selected the county, added it a favorite's list, all without checking for duplicates.

The frequency 155.700 is listed twice in RR's database - once for analog, and once for P25 digital. I had been setting the priority on the analog channel, not the P25 digital, which has replaced their old repeater. The analog channel still had a PL tone set for it, so of course it wasn't ever stopping on that channel, and it was correctly stopping on the P25 digital channel, which wasn't set as a priority - thus causing the scanner to check the old analog channel every 2 seconds.

I set priority on the P25 digital channel, and everything is working the way I want now.

Again, thanks for the push I the right direction, and apologize for my ignorance.
Using a conventional channel both as analog, as well as digital modes is common in your part of Texas. Many of the counties are set up that way. Some will leave fire dispatch as analog, while the Sheriff's Office, and other law enforcement use digital mode. Fisher County to your east, and Mitchell on your county's southern board, also show their primary S.O. Dispatch channels to be used both in analog as well as digital modes.

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
Using a conventional channel both as analog, as well as digital modes is common in your part of Texas. Many of the counties are set up that way. Some will leave fire dispatch as analog, while the Sheriff's Office, and other law enforcement use digital mode. Fisher County to your east, and Mitchell on your county's southern board, also show their primary S.O. Dispatch channels to be used both in analog as well as digital modes.

I think what they are doing here, is making use of the analog as their "talk around" - I've heard several times the local PD officers discussing things on it rather than the digital channel.

All dispatch has been on the digital channel, though.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think what they are doing here, is making use of the analog as their "talk around" - I've heard several times the local PD officers discussing things on it rather than the digital channel.

All dispatch has been on the digital channel, though.
I was down in Stephens County yesterday. One of the agencies I was listening to was Eastland County S.O.

While the database shows them as analog only, as they were the last time I was down there, they were using digital instead on primary dispatch 155.580 about 50% of the time. Some units were analog, and dispatch answered as such, others were in digital mode, as was dispatch when answering them.

Ubbe

Also check that there is DND close call, or none, and you haven't set another analog priority channel by mistake.

well, actually none of these were the exact answer

I had been setting the priority on the analog channel, not the P25 digital, which has replaced their old repeater.

You're welcome, no problem. I'm glad to be able to assist even if you feel that it wasn't the correct answer.

/Ubbe

marksmith

Opening the squelch to see what sticks was a good suggestion. The best way to determine what is going on in priority problems.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
I probably should've worded that a bit better...
All the suggestions pushed me to discover that I had a duplicate frequency - one analog and one digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marksmith

I probably should've worded that a bit better...
All the suggestions pushed me to discover that I had a duplicate frequency - one analog and one digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw that you got your problem resolved. Just commenting that usually when people have issues with priority that opening the squelch to figure out where the radio is going is a good way to figure it out.

The most common items are having wx or other priority settings on.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Status
Not open for further replies.