Pro 106 Won't Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinoboy

I have a Radio Shack PRO-106 digital scanner and as of today will not work. It turns on fine, but beeps indicating low battery (which it isn't, I've put several different sets of batteries in). Also, it will not scan but shows the text tag of only one channel, like it is hung on that one channel. When I press scan it just moves to the next individual channel. I've tried operating in manual mode on a frequency I knew was currently active (by listening to another scanner) and it does not even pick up the voice activity from that channel, so it is completely silent. I turned the squelch all the way on and it won't transmit that sound either. Does anyone know what is wrong or how it could be fixed, or is this scanner fried?

marksmith

I would say it's time to try a reset to factory defaults. I think you hold down the 1 button while you turn it on if I remember correctly. You will lose all programming.

Mark
---------
BCD536HP/HP1/HP2/BCD996XT/BCD396XT(2)/BCD996T/PSR-800 and others.

R

retiredmich

In order to rest to default you have to turn off radio, then turn it on & as soon as you turn it on
push 0-1-enter & 0-2-enter, turn off radio & turn it back on & reprogram it.

marksmith

In order to rest to default you have to turn off radio, then turn it on & as soon as you turn it on
push 0-1-enter & 0-2-enter, turn off radio & turn it back on & reprogram it.
Thats it mich. Thanks. Been a little while since I had to use the key combination.
I think you get an on screen question akin to "are you sure?" as part of it.

I hope a reset works in this case. Those are scary sounding symptoms. Usually you get more of an error message coming at you.

Mark
---------
BCD536HP/HP1/HP2/BCD996XT/BCD396XT(2)/BCD996T/PSR-800 and others.

dustinoboy

Scanner

Hey guys, thank you for the help. I reset the entire scanner with no luck. Still won't scan, and it's still beeping with the low battery indicator. It started this high pitch tone sound as well. I think it has seen it's better days.

R

retiredmich

dustinoboy, have you tried reset to default, then push WX button to see if it does talk be for you pitch it ?

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the radio might have taken a fall. I have found that the internal connectors can unplug form each other. If you carefully open the unit up, separating the two major boards and carefully put it back together, you might 'fix' it yourself. As parts have gotten smaller, I no longer use a soldering iron, but have often found that the inter board connections just need to be reseated-I can still see those:)

Remember static discharge procedures and pull the batteries as the first step. then use a small screwdriver and take your time.

Hope this helps

bobmp26

Sounds like the radio might have taken a fall. I have found that the internal connectors can unplug form each other. If you carefully open the unit up, separating the two major boards and carefully put it back together, you might 'fix' it yourself. As parts have gotten smaller, I no longer use a soldering iron, but have often found that the inter board connections just need to be reseated-I can still see those:)

Remember static discharge procedures and pull the batteries as the first step. then use a small screwdriver and take your time.

Hope this helps

Do you know if this same problem happens the the gre psr-500?
and might it be fixed with this solution?

srschacher

Premium Subscriber
This exact same thing just happened to me two days ago, except for the low battery.

The radio is scanning very slowly (maybe 5 seconds or more before moving to the next entry or frequency). WX is doing the same thing. Manually stepping through the channels brings up no audio.

I tried the factory reset and re-installed the 2.1 firmware upgrade, but the radio is still doing the same thing.

Let me add that the radio did not have a drop, but it did fall over face-front on the night table. I would hope that it isn't that sensitive to abuse, that a simple knock-over would unseat a circuit board. But I guess that now, I have to check it out.

Steve

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
re: gre psr-500

Not sure about the GRE PSR-500. I only have the PRO-106. took mine apart when I found 'tapping' on the case would 'fix' it for a time. My understanding is they are basically the same unit so worth a try.

grumpy_hermit

This exact same thing just happened to me two days ago, except for the low battery.

The radio is scanning very slowly (maybe 5 seconds or more before moving to the next entry or frequency). WX is doing the same thing. Manually stepping through the channels brings up no audio.

I tried the factory reset and re-installed the 2.1 firmware upgrade, but the radio is still doing the same thing.

Let me add that the radio did not have a drop, but it did fall over face-front on the night table. I would hope that it isn't that sensitive to abuse, that a simple knock-over would unseat a circuit board. But I guess that now, I have to check it out.

Steve

Not sure about the GRE PSR-500. I only have the PRO-106. took mine apart when I found 'tapping' on the case would 'fix' it for a time. My understanding is they are basically the same unit so worth a try.

Sometimes the antenna connection goes bad (inside) and wiggling the antenna at the base will restore service (for a while). If it does help then it needs to be repaired.

srschacher

Premium Subscriber
wyShack, you fixed my problem. I finally opened up the unit and the circuit boards came loose. I pressed them back together and now the scanner is working again.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.