pro-106 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I left my information in our car, which my wife took to work. I was wondering if someone could post Step by step to change from rechargeable to alkaline batteries.

bb911

Only one change necessary. The Pro 106 has two batt trays, as does my Pro 97, one yellow for rechargeables and one black for alkalines, (as posted above). The yellow tray can also be used with alkalines, as long as you DON'T use the external power/charging jack when doing so. Best to use the black tray only if you might make that mistake.

BTW, many, including myself, use rechargeables in both trays, and charge the individual batts, removed from the trays, with a separate (external) batt charger, allowing us to have an extra battery pack of rechargeables ready to use when one is low. Also, the internal charging circuitry in the radio (at least the Pro 97) is very inferior to that of an external charger. One can also alter the yellow tray to behave like a black tray, so you won't have to worry about any confusion, but you will lose the ability to charge the yellow pack when in the radio. Confused? Just stick to using the black tray with alkalines and the yellow tray with rechargeables.

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
Never charge the batteries in the scanner, as it's only a timed charger and doesn't shut off when the batteries are properly charged. With every model of scanner there been reports of the batteries getting very hot and destroying the scanner.

Going forward you wouldn't want to lose the scanner with battery charging. Get a good quality charger and two or three sets of batteries. This way will always have a charged set ready to go.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Never charge the batteries in the scanner, as it's only a timed charger and doesn't shut off when the batteries are properly charged. With every model of scanner there been reports of the batteries getting very hot and destroying the scanner.

Going forward you wouldn't want to lose the scanner with battery charging. Get a good quality charger and two or three sets of batteries. This way will always have a charged set ready to go.
Yes, please take this suggestion seriously! This is especially true for the Pro-106 and related family of scanners. The charging circuit for this scanner and its siblings is extremely poorly designed and can fail catastrophically to where your scanner would be finished within a matter of minutes. I have personally experienced this after plugging in my scanner for only several minutes one day for what I thought was a quick top off charge as I have it set to only charge for 1 hour at a time. I was lucky enough to have been around so it only melted my yellow battery holder and slightly warp my battery compartment to where the battery door barely stays in. I am not sure of my memory is correct on the details, but it is possible that the scanner was even turned off at the time when I had it plugged into power.

I know of someone else where this happened to them while driving. They had to pullover quickly and pretty much tossed the scanner out of the car as it was smoking. They had either a Pro-106 or a sibling PSR-500.

Kscan

Premium Subscriber
To change battery type: Press PGM. Press F3. Press the down key until the middle line of the display shows "Battery Alkaline". Press left or right keys until you select the type of battery you have installed (Alkaline, Ni-Cd, Ni-MH). Press F1 to save your battery settings.

djeplett

To change battery type: Press PGM. Press F3. Press the down key until the middle line of the display shows "Battery Alkaline". Press left or right keys until you select the type of battery you have installed (Alkaline, Ni-Cd, Ni-MH). Press F1 to save your battery settings.
Just an FYI doing that only affects when the low battery warning icon is shown or flashes. It does not shut off the internal battery charge circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.