pro-162 programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
771
Reaction score
2
Location
Fremont NE
hello, ive owned my pro 162 for a few days now and have figured out a couple things, but theres alot i cant figure out. this is the first trunking scanner ive ever used without a programming cable and software, which leads me to my question.
even with the help of the instruction manual, i can not for the life of me figure out how to program in a trunked system by hand. ive got banks 1-7 with all my conventional frequencies and woudl like to dedicate banks 11-17 to a nearby trunking system. it is the public safety one in sarpy county nebraska. if someone could give me some guidance on how i could get started at least i would greatly appreciate it. all i can figure out at this point is how to listen to is the noise the control channel constantly makes. thanks in advance
 

KC5EIB

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Mar 24, 2002
Messages
1,484
Reaction score
2
Location
Flower Mound, TX
Dont have time for a detailed answer but here is a short answer. One Trunk system per bank, one bank per trunk system.
 

SquierStrat

Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
771
Reaction score
2
Location
Fremont NE
those restrictions do not interfere with my plan... but im still completely clueless in regards to my question
 

win2000

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Davis, Ca. USA
Last Monday I bought my first trunker, a Pro-160 which is supposed to be the same inside as the Pro-162. Post the link to a service which you want to enter in and I''ll do a 'step by step' for you.

Mark S.
 

GrayJeep

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
968
Reaction score
22
Location
N. Colo.
Frequencies to the correct mode (MOT, ED, whatever) AND the talkgroups to the correct mode as well (MOT, ED, whatever)
And set the bank for OPEN if that scanner will do that so you can hear other talkgroups.

(I don't know that model but the above two settings are a simple set of things that get overlooked.)
 

ERICMYERS

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
Location
Plainfield, IL
hello, ive owned my pro 162 for a few days now and have figured out a couple things, but theres alot i cant figure out. this is the first trunking scanner ive ever used without a programming cable and software, which leads me to my question.
even with the help of the instruction manual, i can not for the life of me figure out how to program in a trunked system by hand. ive got banks 1-7 with all my conventional frequencies and woudl like to dedicate banks 11-17 to a nearby trunking system. it is the public safety one in sarpy county nebraska. if someone could give me some guidance on how i could get started at least i would greatly appreciate it. all i can figure out at this point is how to listen to is the noise the control channel constantly makes. thanks in advance


Those buttons and small screen are NO FUN to program manually. Why not get the cable at Radioshack (assuming you don't have one already) and download ARC160? It CAN be programmed by software.

Not sure which trunked system you're trying to do, but that scanner won't do Digital (P25) so the AFB and ORION are out of the question. You should be able to get the Sarpy County Motorola TII system programmed in, again, hard manually, easier w/ software.

System Name Type City
Heimes Construction LTR Standard Gretna

Metropolitan Utilities District (MUD) Motorola Type II Smartnet Omaha

Offutt Air Force Base (Project 25) Project 25 Standard Bellevue

Omaha Regional Interoperability Network (ORION) Project 25 Standard Omaha

Sarpy County Public Safety Motorola Type II SmartZone Papillion
 

ERICMYERS

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
Location
Plainfield, IL
Frequencies to the correct mode (MOT, ED, whatever) AND the talkgroups to the correct mode as well (MOT, ED, whatever)
And set the bank for OPEN if that scanner will do that so you can hear other talkgroups.

(I don't know that model but the above two settings are a simple set of things that get overlooked.)

Yes, easy to forget to set correctly on this scanner, and very important unless you just like listening to the CC noise for some reason ;-)
 

SquierStrat

Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
771
Reaction score
2
Location
Fremont NE
i do have the frequency set on motorola, and the bank set on open, yet all i hear is the constant control channel noise. how do you program talkgroups? at this point it only lets me enter in frequencies (xxx.xxx) i am definetely missing something here......

the reason i dont buy a cable is cuz its not THAT important to me, everything in my county is still analog conventional, i just thought it would be neat to listen to this system since my scanner is capable of it, and the control channel noise comes in perfectly clear.

win2000 this is the system.....
Scanner Frequencies: Sarpy County Public Safety Trunking System, Papillion, Nebraska
that step by step will be freaking awesome!
 

NWtoSFO

Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
312
Reaction score
1
Location
Pollock Pines, CA
I preferred to program my 162 by hand as well. I've done 3 other scanners by software, but I didn't like the ARC160, so I went it alone. I think one learns alot by doing at least one scanner by hand, anyway. Once you are in a trunked bank, hit "ENT/PGM" and then "TRUNK". You should then be in the sub-bank mode. And it should say, "MOT mode". Simply enter in a talk ID number, like 48, which is LE -East on the system you are looking to scan. Hit "TEXT" after you enter the ID and assign a tag. When that's done, hit the up arrow and enter another talk-ID. Then go scanning.

I've entered the same control channels for several different banks, with different sets of talkgroups, so I can listen to fire on one bank, and different regions of law on another. If you are going to listen to everything on that trunked system at one time, don't do more than one bank; it becomes very sketchy and you'll miss stuff. But, if you want to listen to sheriff separate from fire, then why not run several banks. If you've got them, why not use them! That's why I love the 162.

Matthew
 

win2000

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Davis, Ca. USA
Hello SquierStrat,

I started writing up a 'S by S' and I came across the same problem as you seem to be having, which is also what I experienced when I first bought the scanner about a week ago. It seems to me that you have done everything correct except for just one thing. I think you need to turn "Data Skip" ON. This is described on pge 35 of the Pro-160 user's manual. A couple of other notes: You only need to enter the 2 control frequencies to receive all channels.if "SET C-CH ONLY" is ON And if you DON'T enter any talkgroups then you will hear everything. When I bought mine, I wanted the simplest way to scan an analog trunker as I could and then slowly get into more advanced features.

Hope this helps AND if still needed the offer for a how-to is still open.

Mark S
 

win2000

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Davis, Ca. USA
HOW 2 Pro160/162 step by step.

HOW 2 Pro160/162 step by step.

This little procedure is designed to get a scanner user with a Pro-160/162 up and scanning an analog Motorola trunking system with as little effort as possible.
Although any bank/channel can be used, for this purpose we will use BANK 0/CHANNEL 0 to keep things simple.
In addition to your scanner you will also need the CONTROL frequencies for the trunking system you wish to monitor. These are the red and blue frequencies found throughout the RR database. For this lesson ALL the other frequencies listed in black are unneeded and unwanted.

If scanner users find this procedure helpful then I might find the time for another on "entering talk group ID numbers".

-----------------
WARNING: All data will be lost!
FULL RESET
Hold down: "2, 9 and PSE" WHILE turning on scanner.
MSG appears: "All Channels locked out!" (Just Ignore)
-----------------
press "Man"
select bank/channel (00-00) with "UP/DOWN" arrow keys
press "FUNC"
press "Man"
The following options appear:
Scan List >
Trunk Option >
Signal Stalker >
Freq Lockouts >
Data Skip >
Key Tone >
LCD Contrast >

select "Trunk Option" with "UP/DOWN" arrow keys.
press "ENT"
The following options appear:
Bank 19 >
Bank 00 >
Bank 01 >
....... >
Bank 18 >

select "Bank 00" with "UP/DOWN" arrow keys.
press "ENT"
The following options appear:
EDCS SCT >
NON TRUNK >
MOT >
EDCS >
LT >

select "MOT" with "UP/DOWN" arrow keys.
press "ENT"
The following options appear:
Set C-Ch Only >
ID Lockouts >
Edit Fleet Map >
Custom Range >
800MHZ CH Plan >
Set Status Bit >
Set End Code >

select "Set C-Ch Only" with "UP/DOWN" arrow keys.
press "ENT"
select "ON"
press "ENT"
press "SCAN" NOTE: Ignore "All Channels locked out!" message.
press "ENT"
select desired bank/channel (00-00) with UP/DOWN arrow keys
"868.600, ENT" (LEAVE set to FM)
(enter just like this 8 6 8 . 6 0 0 "ENT") or whatever your frequency is.
No other key press required.
press "UP arrow" to goto next channel.
REPEAT above two lines for as many frequencies as needed. (enter frequency, press up arrow)

At this point you will hear EVERYTHING on this trunking system by just pressing the scan key.
press "SCAN"
NOTE: IF scanner locks on control signal (probably will!) >>> press "FNC" then "TRUNK"

Since NO talk group id numbers have been entered, all services/users will be heard.

EOF
---
 
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Location
GLENVILLE,NY.
Edac and LTR also?

Wanted to know if Edac and LTR can be heard with entering no talkgroups using the directions on previous post . I have the control frequencies but there is no c-ch available for Edac and LTR like for Motorola, only id lockouts & Edcs id format appears. When I tried Motorola could hear everything and c-ch was used after selecting Motorola when on open mode. If this is also posible for these two types please let me know. Thanks
 

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
Wanted to know if Edac and LTR can be heard with entering no talkgroups using the directions on previous post . I have the control frequencies but there is no c-ch available for Edac and LTR like for Motorola, only id lockouts & Edcs id format appears. When I tried Motorola could hear everything and c-ch was used after selecting Motorola when on open mode. If this is also posible for these two types please let me know. Thanks

ALL frequencies must be programmed when doing LTR or EDACS. also must be in LCN order or it just will NOT work. also set bank to EDACS or MOT as well as each frequency. and yes you can use OPEN mode
 
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Location
GLENVILLE,NY.
Edac and LTR also?

All freguencies are in and in order, but the question was can I scan Edac and LTR without entering any talkgroups like one can using Motorola????? They don't offer c-ch in the menu, just id lockouts & EDCS id format .
 

spooney

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
All freguencies are in and in order, but the question was can I scan Edac and LTR without entering any talkgroups like one can using Motorola????? They don't offer c-ch in the menu, just id lockouts & EDCS id format .

Motorola is the only system where you can use Control Channel Only. Edacs & LTR you have to enter all the freq's and in the correct LCN order. You can scan in OPEN mode and hear everything on the system without entering any TGID's.
 
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Location
GLENVILLE,NY.
Motorola is the only system where you can use Control Channel Only. Edacs & LTR you have to enter all the freq's and in the correct LCN order. You can scan in OPEN mode and hear everything on the system without entering any TGID's.

Got it! Everything come's in fine now. Also I had them in numerical order , not LCN order. Thanks
 

justjack

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Location
Foothills
Programming Question 162

In doing my homework I ran across Marks directions for getting the truck function up and running. Thanks, Mark! On my journey I wound up with (for now) two quick questions: When I try to put in a bank #, say 7, and get to the last step, the unit kicks back to my previously entered banks, say 1-6, and starts scanning on them. Do I have to dump everything every time to load a new trunked system? And secondly, I could use a head slap on control channel #'s; I'm trying to put in Sacramento SO,PD and Fire. I looked on our database, found the red and blue #'s, but got confused when trying to guess which ones to put in. All of 'em? One to a bank?
I know it's a simple dumb newbie ?, but I'm lookin' for the "AHAA!" moment to jump up..
Thanks, Jack
 

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
17,236
Reaction score
16,955
Location
BEE00
In doing my homework I ran across Marks directions for getting the truck function up and running. Thanks, Mark! On my journey I wound up with (for now) two quick questions: When I try to put in a bank #, say 7, and get to the last step, the unit kicks back to my previously entered banks, say 1-6, and starts scanning on them. Do I have to dump everything every time to load a new trunked system? And secondly, I could use a head slap on control channel #'s; I'm trying to put in Sacramento SO,PD and Fire. I looked on our database, found the red and blue #'s, but got confused when trying to guess which ones to put in. All of 'em? One to a bank?
I know it's a simple dumb newbie ?, but I'm lookin' for the "AHAA!" moment to jump up..
Thanks, Jack

I'm not quite sure I understand your first question, but the answer to your second question is as follows:

Red colored frequencies are the primary control channels (most often used), blue ones are the secondary/backup ones (rarely used). Enter all the red and blue frequencies you come across, red ones first then blue ones is the best practice, although with CC-Only trunking, it really doesn't matter what order you enter them in. Just be sure to keep the two systems in separate banks if you're going to listen to both the county and city.

Using banks 7 & 8 as an example, it would look like this:

Bank 7 = City System
07-00 - 868.6375
07-01 - 868.8250
07-02 - 868.6625
07-03 - 868.9000

Bank 8 = County System
08-00 - 868.9375
08-01 - 868.9625
08-02 - 868.5375
08-03 - 868.7375

Also make sure in the trunking options for each bank you set the options as follows for optimum performance:

Set C-Ch Only > ON
Set Status Bit > YES
Set End Code > YES
 

justjack

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Location
Foothills
Good Stuff! As for ? no. 1, the first 5 banks now have all the pre-programmed stuff that came installed (Norad, Thunderbirds, generic pd, fire etc) and I put some local stuff on bank 6. When I go to bank #7 and follow the path to load trunking #s, I get to the move to enter the CC frequencies, it kicks back and scans all the pre-programmed stuff. Make any sense? Maybe I should clear it all, put in my trunking starting with bank 7, then reboot the pre-programmed in and then put my locals in. Beats me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top