Pro-164: PRO-164 programming advice?

cwilliamsws6

I am trying to program my PRO-164 in ARC300 using RadioReference import and I am confused. Can I put conventional and trunked frequencies in the same bank? This is complicated and confusing for me. I feel like I'm not doing it right. After programming the scanner I'm not hearing anything on it.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. As stated by the members above me, please state your location so we can get eyes on the database to see who operates where, determine if the Pro 164 is the right tool for the job & to identify potential pitfalls which may hinder your scanning efforts (encryption, simulcast distortion, among others)
This is complicated and confusing for me. I feel like I'm not doing it right.
If a digital trunking scanner is what you need to bring in who you're after, then you ain't seen nothing yet on the Pro-164 with regards to "confusion" ;) Scanners on the market today have a much steeper learning curve for a novice user

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The PRO-164, Radio Shack's model for the PSR-300, uses an older scheme called "bank technology" to organize channels, frequencies and talk groups. Generally speaking, you dedicate one bank to one trunked system. You certainly can mix the control channel frequencies with conventional frequencies, but it gets complicated. Talk groups, if you chose to use them, are programmed separately and there are places to program them for each bank.

However, there are a lot of cautions with using this radio, as some have mentioned. If the system you want to monitor is analog voice, supported by the radio (MOT, LTR, EDACS) and not subject to re-banding, great. The one last system that fit this mold I was monitoring just switched to P25, which is digital, and can't be monitored by this radio.

So before figuring out whether you can mix conventional and trunked, it's important to know what you specifically want to monitor and if this radio can even do the job. Welcome to Radio Reference!

wtp

turn the squelch down ?
from the manual that was mentioned beforehand,
1. Turn SQ fully counter-clockwise to min.
2. Turn VOLUME/OFF clockwise until it clicks and you hear a hissing sound.
3. Turn SQ clockwise until the hissing stops and then just a little more.