PRO-197 display trick!

KB9AA

Premium Subscriber
Can your PRO-197 do this upside down display? Walked into the ham shack to this. Recycling power yielded better results.PRO197.jpg

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
And the GRE versions...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
My answer is yes. I've seen the display in several "formats" including reversed (look at it in a mirror), upside down and both.

ecps92

Can your PRO-197 do this upside down display? Walked into the ham shack to this. Recycling power yielded better results.View attachment 154849
Not the upside down, but REVERSE display, when I've not resent the scanner in 30-45 days, as indicated in some prior threads.
This happens not only with the PRO but also the PSR

Simple power off, power on, then spend the next 45 min's Temp Lock out the Cable TV interference :)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Can your PRO-197 do this upside down display? Walked into the ham shack to this. Recycling power yielded better results.

Yep, reports of backwards and/or upside down displays on those scanners go back many years to shortly after they were first released.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Everybody KNOWS this you can do this with some Uniden scanners too

You're thinking of the "Set Upside-Down" setting in the Uniden menu to purposely invert the display. The scanner the OP is showing did not have a selectable setting for that, it was a random fluke of the firmware in those scanners at the time.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
There was a firmware revision for the PRO-197 that addressed this issue. See here: #21
Out of curiosity, what version firmware do you have?

CPU firmware version 1.8 provides the following enhancements to your Pro-106/Pro-197 trunked scanning receiver:
-Adds patch support for P25, Motorola and EDACS trunking
-Changes CCDump type string to "EDn" if "narrow invert" is turned on
-Corrects LCD “mirror image” issue