Pro 197 Reception Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandf

I just purchased the Pro 197 scanner and am having a problem that I do not understand. It comes in fine at the Radio Shack store where I made the purchase. They are about 5 miles from where Central Dispatch transmits from .When I bring it home I get choppy reception at best. I am about 4 miles from Central Dispatch. I am not near any cell towers or radio/TV stations. Any ideas? Thank you for your help

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Hi briandf,welcome to RadioReference :)

If you are using the back of the set antenna, try collapsing the sections to match the band you are listening to.

Usually fully extended for VHF LO , one section down for VHF HI , two for UHF and fully collapsed for 800 and 900 MHz.

briandf

I took it to work today (about a half mile from Central Dispatch) and it came it beautifully> At my house it won't pick up much of anything no matter what I do with the antenna. Also the T doesn't flash on and off when it scans. I am stumped. I also tried an outdoor antenna and got no better reception than with the back of the set antenna. HELP!!! Thank you

jonwoock

Premium Subscriber
having similar problems in dec 2010. did u find any solutions for the reception problems in Sag twp?

k7aab

Premium Subscriber
Hi briandf,welcome to RadioReference :)

If you are using the back of the set antenna, try collapsing the sections to match the band you are listening to.

Usually fully extended for VHF LO , one section down for VHF HI , two for UHF and fully collapsed for 800 and 900 MHz.

Generally 4.5 inces or 9cm per quarter wavelength at 850 Mhz, I get better reception at 3/4 wavelength or 13.5 inches extended for 850 trunking.

Status
Not open for further replies.