PRO-2005 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I am new to scanning and I was wondering what can I listen to with a PRO-2005...
I know about some mods out there, including the optoscan456 (which seems to be unavailable anyway) but I was thinking, since a lot of stuff is digital nowadays, what would I be able to listen to? I know the police is audible on my $7 little weather radio...I suppose I would be able to listen to them then. But what else?

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, I have been doing some research and all I came up with was some common sense that I am trying to process, and many many doubts. So after a while I found this forum and I figured I could go ahead and ask the people that know best...

Thank you very much for your help.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
What City, County, and State do you live in?
Are you interested in Police, Fire, RailRoads, Airplanes, Storm Spotters, Race Cars, .....?

kcvanover

I use my 2005 to listen to Military Air, County Sheriff, medical calls, County Fire... anything not trunked.
Even if you live in a metro area, there is still plenty to use it for.

Hey guys, thank you for your fast response.
I found out that in my county everything is analog and non trunked.
I would like to use it for anything, from Police, Military...to HAM. I am specially interested in HAM. But anything that comes through a radio fascinates me anyway. I do not really care for as long as it is somebody talking. I just love it. I just wanted to make sure that I would be able to listen to something else besides the Police.
Which scanner you think is better PRO-2004 or PRO-2005? is the PRO-2006 good?

Yes I heard about the optoscan456 but they don't make them any longer...They make the Optoscan Lite, but it is not the same thing....oh well

If you had the option to choose between a PRO-163 and a PRO-2006 with optoscan, which one would you get? I had a guy offering both.

N8IAA

Definitely the 163. Had a 2004, 2005, and a couple of 2006's in a previous scanning life. Would love to have a BC895 on steroids though. But, the 163 comes close to that. I have always loved my GRE made scanners. Only owned two Unidens that really were outstanding: the BC590 (a 760 without 800Mhz) and the 895. A trunking radio is neccessary now a days. But, you really haven't said where you are monitoring from. It would help us give you a better idea of what you might need:)
Larry

Last edited:
Oregon, but most counties use analog and/or trunking analog. Except for 2 or 3 cities that are digital.
Now guys, if I do not get the PRO-2005 (for $130)or PRO-2006 (these ones without optoscan, unless I spend $200 or so on one 2006+optoscan+old computer pack all together) which one is the best : PRO-163, PRO-164 or PSR-300?
This is my first scanner, although I always loved to listen to radios, no matter what is on. I have a couple of CB but I know nothing about scanners except for what I have read on the internet in the past 5 days.

I forgot to add one to the choice, how about the UNIDEN BC 895XLT TRUNKTRACKER? It is computer controllable I believe. Is that a big advantage? Maybe I should post this at a different place, since it is not Radio Shack, but I guess it is fine.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double posting, the conversation ended up in 2 places by accident. Anyways, just letting you guys know I got the PRO-164, for $80. I am still considering getting a PRO-2006 with optoscan if it is cheap.

Thank you for your help guys

freqs

I use my 2005 to listen to Military Air, County Sheriff, medical calls, County Fire... anything not trunked.
Even if you live in a metro area, there is still plenty to use it for.

You can use it for trunking it just dont track trunked systems
I have a 2006 and have been useing it for Oakland Co Mi trunked system for at least 17 years .progarm all the systems freqs in and lock out the control channel freqs. now they change from day to day so you have to unlock clear ones and lock out new Control freqs as they change .

Status
Not open for further replies.