PRO-2052 Data Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain_Nojaa

Does anyone know where I can obtain a cable to program my 2052 scanner? I checked at the local Radio Shack but they couldn't provide anything. I asked about an RS-232 to a USB, but apparently there is no such cable in existence.

The scanner has a 9-pin RS-232 on the back, and my HP laptop has a 15-pin RS-232 (I assume) on the side. I don't know if anything would be compatible.

What say you, O sages of the scanner world?

Paul, NØJAA

RickS31

Just for further clarification of rexgame's completely correct statement, 99 chances out of 100 the 15 pin port on your laptop is the external monitor (VGA) port. Most laptops, unless you have a very old one, stopped having RS-232 ports a long time ago. The reason was the wide acceptance and use of the USB port. Much faster and more diverse than the serial port. Chances are if you have a (or many) USB port, there is no RS232 port on the laptop.

As he mentioned, you would need a null modem RS232 cable to go from the scanner to an RS232 to USB adapter which would of course then plug in to the lappy's USB port. Or try one of his shown direct connect DB9 to USB cable adapters. Both would probably work.

Wasn't out to steal his thunder, just add a bit more explanation to what you have and what he recommended.

Rick

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm unsure about this, so don't take this as gospel, but I don't believe you need a null modem cable to connect to this scanner. A standard USB-serial cable should do the job.

There is an Easier to Read manual for this radio, and while there are a few software packages floating around for this radio, AFAIK none connect up to the RR web service for downloading. The closest you would come would be Scan Control; however that software hasn't been actively supported in well over a year now. Whether it's still available is open to question.

There are a few Yahoo groups devoted to this radio, also listed on the wiki page here...

Pro-2052 - The RadioReference Wiki

73 Mike

[edit] By the way we have an extensive article on installing USB converters and using Device Manager to see what COM port has been allocated (very important issue) here...

Connecting Scanners via USB - the RR Wiki

Last edited:

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
I'm unsure about this, so don't take this as gospel, but I don't believe you need a null modem cable to connect to this scanner. A standard USB-serial cable should do the job.

There is an Easier to Read manual for this radio, and while there are a few software packages floating around for this radio, AFAIK none connect up to the RR web service for downloading. The closest you would come would be Scan Control; however that software hasn't been actively supported in well over a year now. Whether it's still available is open to question.

There are a few Yahoo groups devoted to this radio, also listed on the wiki page here...

Pro-2052 - The RadioReference Wiki

73 Mike

[edit] By the way we have an extensive article on installing USB converters and using Device Manager to see what COM port has been allocated (very important issue) here...

Connecting Scanners via USB - the RR Wiki

i really enjoy scancontrol, and 7.1 supports win7 so it has been updated this year, earlier but without any bugs that i've seen and all radios covered i don't think they need any other updates right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.