Can't just leave it alone...

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have realized that I really prefer my radios to be right in front of me when I am working on the computer. That has been pretty impractical however as the cabinets then make the monitors too high to be comfortable. With the current SecretLabs Magnus Pro XL that I now have that should not be as much a problem as before since the desktop lowers more than my prior desks. This will also make it more comfortable for me to use the mouse and keyboard without a tray.

I also have a new computer coming later this week. I am headed out to MicroCenter in L.A. to pick up the parts so I can build it over the weekend assuming they have all the parts I want. The plan is for either the new 14th Gen i7 or (if the price is right) the 13th Gen. Matching that with a good motherboard, a couple SSD's, 64GB of DDR5, Fractal North case, decent mid-range graphics card and PSU. If all goes well that will be completed over this coming weekend to replace my 7 year old Intel Nuc. I am not a gamer so I don't need a high-end graphics card and the i7 should work well with multiple instances of ProScan, ARC, Pro96Com etc. The current NUC (8th gen i7 with 32GB of RAM) bogs down with 8 or 9 instance of these applications running. As it is now my primary desktop that has been an issue. I used to run a MacBook Pro as my desktop but am streamlining the shack. I am switching to all Windows for the desktop while keeping my MacBooks for portable use and radio programming in the car.

As for the desk, the SecretLabs desk is working just great and will remain. I probably will not be using the wire tray however as the cabinet I am going to use is 14 inches deep do would reduce the writing surface space too much. With the extra depth of the cabinet however there will be plenty of room to hide the stuff in the tray. When I removed the MacBook Pro and it's dock the only stuff in there is a power strip and some wires.

As for the cabinet I am going to reuse my 3u/3-bay AudioRax cabinet from earlier this year (see Rich's radio room for 2023). As my desk is 70 inches wide and the cabinet is 60 that leaves me about 10 inches of space. The computer itself is going under the desk on a bracket from SecretLabs that is due to arrive this week and new monitor arms arrive with it. I suspect the 5 inches on either side of the cabinet is where the speakers are going to live.

As for the cabinet itself it has been dinged up quite a bit, both while in use in the shack and in storage in the garage. My son and I sanded and re-stained it this weekend, a third coat will go on tomorrow and then will be poly-coated when that has had a chance to dry for a couple days. I will then use mats on top of the cabinet to help reduce future scratches.

I went out and bought a cheap rotary sander and sanded off the old finish from the top of the cabinet. That took a couple hours with course and fine sanding pads. After that we blew off the dust and stained the top with a couple layers. I did not sand off the front, rear and sides as they were not scratched up too bad. I did apply stain to them but that will act more like paint and should seal in pretty good with the poly later.

I already have the faceplates, all custom made by NovexComm; I will use 3 3u panels, each with 2 DIN slots for Uniden scanners. One plate will have the IC-7300 on the left, the center panel the SDS200 and the right the R8600. Scanners in the DIN slots will be 4 BCD536's, a 996XT and a 996P2. The Astron 25A power supply will go inside the cabinet's center bay. As I leave it on all the time there is no reason to take up desk space for it, I can reach around and turn it off if needed.

Here is the cabinet in the middle of sanding:
IMG_7176.jpg

Same cabinet after a coat of stain:
IMG_7185.jpg

After one or two more coats of stain and final finishing I will start to add the radios.

Next week after I build the computer and install the radios I will of course post more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_7186.jpg
    IMG_7186.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 109

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
That is half of why I do this, to try new ideas and share with others. Of course I steal many of my plans from others like Scott etc.
That is half of why I do this, to copy Rich's ideas and share with others. Of course I steal many of my plans from Rich....wait, I said that.

Mayhap that us retirees have a little more time on our hands now? Wait, I did this stuff when I was working full time. Nevermind...

N9JIG

Sheriff
Progress! Went to MicroCenter in L. A. today and bought all the parts for the new computer: Fractal North case, latest AMD processor [not impressed with the new 14th Gen. Intel...] and the rest. Gonna put all that together over the weekend. Hopefully will get the final coats of stain and poly on the case tomorrow so it might be ready to accept radios next week.

Pictures to come!

N9JIG

Sheriff
More progress!

The computer is built. The kid and I (mostly him...) built it last night. Windows was installed and all went well. The only issue was selecting the proper screws for the motherboard in the case but that was resolved pretty quickly.

Here are the parts waiting to be assembled:
image1.jpeg

Here is the assembled computer in the Fractal North case. The processor is an AMD Ryzen 7 7800, the MoBo an MSI Z790 and the GPU an Asrock Radeon RC6600. There is 64GB of RAM and 2 2-TB SSD's.
image0.jpeg

Later today I will mount the computer to the bracket I got this past week from SecretLabs. This will mount the computer under the desktop. The advantage to mounting it underneath is that it doesn't steal space on the desk that I need for radios. In addition it is better hear than on the floor as the wires (USB, power, network, displays etc.) do not need to be longer or coiled for when I raise the desk. It also keeps it off the floor, avoiding the Roomba, stray feet and the like. I also have a new dual-monitor arm from SecretLabs so that the monitor bottoms will rest directly on the cabinet in order to keep them from being too high to comfortably view.

I really like the Fractal North case, it is gorgeous and matches the black aesthetic in my office. As for the computer in total; there are 12 USB-A ports on the rear I/O so I won't need a hub, just a couple extension cables once I get the radios mounted in the horizontal cabinet.

Speaking of the cabinet, it is getting its final coat of stain today and tomorrow will be poly-coated. I will then let it dry a few days in the garage before building it out.

More pictures as it goes...

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Will be a vast performance boost over the NUC you've been running for sure. Looking forward to following along.

N9JIG

Sheriff
So this weekend the kid finished staining and poly-coating the cabinet, it looks great!

Here is the rear of the cabinet while I was doing the inside wiring out in the garage. It was a gorgeous day here in the Valley so I had the doors open.
in progress.jpeg

After I finished what I could out in the garage I wheeled the cabinet inside and placed it on the desk. I then connected the power, antennas, USB cables etc. and checked for proper operation. Of course there were a couple glitches. One was on the Astron the positive lead worked loose so I had to fix that. Next, the right-angle USB cable for the SDS200 seems to have failed so I had to use a standard cable for now. I actually have on order a second right-angle cable I intended to use for my other SDS200 coming next week but I don't think I will need it for that one for now so it will replace this one when it arrives.

N9JIG

Sheriff
And here is the completed layout:

complete.jpgIMG_7221.jpg

Bay 1: (Left) IC-7300, BCD536HP (2)

Bay 2: (Center) SDS200, BCD536HP (2). The Astron 25A PS and an 8-port Stridsberg is also in this bay behind the radios.
Bay 3: Right) R8600, BCD996P2, BCD996XT
On top: AT-5888UV
On desktop: IC-705

The computer is in a bracket made specifically for the Magnus Desk by SecretLabs, it is remarkably sturdy there. The monitors are on a SecretLabs dual monitor arm. I was worried they would not provide enough forward clearance with the 14-inch cabinet but with the double-jointed swing they clear up nicely. The remaining writing surface on the desktop is limited but in enough for my needs.

I have really cut down on my radio inventory, gone are the days with 30 scanners in a fridge-sized freestanding cabinet. Those days were mostly scoping out the area that I recently moved to and now I have a pretty good read on things around here.

My main listening targets these days are railroads, aircraft, GMRS/FRS/MURS and searching out new stuff. Having retired from the public safety field I am no longer interested in listening to much police & fire these days.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Very nicely done. Sleek and functional, but still so professionally superb as to make us all envious. I especially like the use of your old neckties for your ottoman upholstery…. You don’t see that everyday.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Very nicely done. Sleek and functional, but still so professionally superb as to make us all envious. I especially like the use of your old neckties for your ottoman upholstery…. You don’t see that everyday.
When I retired I didn't need the ties anymore. My wife mad the ottoman cover out of them, she is a great seamstress! She also puts up with my nonsense so I think I will keep her.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Once again, nice setup. Having everything upfront is key. I've said previously that once I get my "mancave" I will go with the 60" (5 Foot) upfront 3 Bay Audio Rax on an "L" Shaped Desk. (y)

N9JIG

Sheriff
A minor update here. I got a second SDS200 and restored a BCT15X to the shack as I needed it to do some research on a project. I realized that it was still a great analog scanner. (I still have another BCT15X in the garage...)

Left Bay: IC-7300, BCT15X, BCD260DN
Center Bay: 4 BCD536HP's
Right Bay: R6800, BCD996P2, BCD996XT
Above: 2 SDS200, AT5888UV, Icom 25A P/w (behind the monitor)

In the cabinet are 2 MCA208M multicouplers, a 10-port USB3 hub, 4-port Ethernet switch, PowerPole strip and a whole mess of wires.

IMG_7256.jpg

Last edited: