Pro-651 with issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregOH

I've been searching locally for someone to repair a Pro-651 and I'm coming up empty. I noticed while searching a business named G & G Communications specializes in repairs with this radio and I'm wondering if I should reach out to them.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

GregOH

What is the problem with the radio?
It was dropped and hit the sidewalk.

I asked about what it's doing/not doing and this is what I gathered...

It does power on and has signal bars, backlight works, has issues scanning and LED indicator lights not working. I had him push function and then scan and was told frequency ranges 1, 2, 5, 7 an 8 were activated and it was stuck on some 100.xxxxxx frequency and the 2 was flashing and did not proceed to 5. also had him switch it to WX and no audio. When on scan it shows that it's scanning but it don't look to be scanning talklist's

The radio is in a very active area, and it was hardly ever silent, but it is now. I hate to give up on it and wondering if it's worth saving?

rentacop

I've been searching locally for someone to repair a Pro-651 and I'm coming up empty. I noticed while searching a business named G & G Communications specializes in repairs with this radio and I'm wondering if I should reach out to them.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks.
yes they are a good scanner repair shop to go though

tvengr

Well Known Member
The common problem with that scanner when dropped is that the solder connection from the antenna connector to the circuit board breaks, resulting in a loss of signal. Since you are showing bars, that may not be the case. The other common occurrence when a scanner is dropped is that it cracks the circuit board. If you have no experience with soldering, i suggest that you send it in for repair.

GregOH

The common problem with that scanner when dropped is that the solder connection from the antenna connector to the circuit board breaks, resulting in a loss of signal. Since you are showing bars, that may not be the case. The other common occurrence when a scanner is dropped is that it cracks the circuit board. If you have no experience with soldering, i suggest that you send it in for repair.
I was doing checks over the phone (tough to get the whole story without seeing it). I'll probably have it at my place sometime next week and get to see for myself what it's doing.

I figured if it has some internal damage, there would be errors crop up.

DJ11DLN

I have a 651 that I bought very cheap because it was non-working. Original owner had dropped it. The connector between the two boards had come unseated, took it apart, squeezed everything together, reassembled and it's been fine ever since. Not saying that will definitely be your problem but it's something you might consider exploring.

GregOH

We are now thinking if the Pro-651 can't be fixed, we'll gift my WS1040 to him and since we both have birthdays coming soon, my wife will get me a scanner to replace my WS1040.

But what should I get? I mean I live in Tuscarawas CO Ohio and LE is encrypted so I'm listening to OSP, Smith Ambulance, Fire and EMS of Tuscarawas and surrounding counties. I'm thinking if most of what I'm listening to is not P25, I can ask for something that costs far less money than a P25 phase 1 capable digital scanner.

So with that, can anyone recommend something that's a handheld that would work for my area, or do I have to have a P25 phase 1 capable radio?

I'm listening to Coshocton, Guersnsey, Stark, and Tuscarawas.

Nasby

Without a digital scanner you're not going to hear much of anything in any of the counties you've listed. All of them are on MARCS.

The WS1040 is a solid choice and is affordable.

GregOH

Without a digital scanner you're not going to hear much of anything in any of the counties you've listed. All of them are on MARCS.

The WS1040 is a solid choice and is affordable.
Thanks.

I've decided to gift my WS1040 to my father in law and purchase another one for myself. I figured it would be the best deal for me and I'll clone it to program it easily.

Kinda a tough decision for me since I'm in the middle of simulcast and local law enforcement is encrypted to justify buying another one, when I was actually planning on selling the one I have to someone in a location it would work out better for. However I'm still able to enjoy it because I listen to alot of traffic from surrounding counties and local Ambulance, Fire, EMS Med Flight and OSP and reception is still not too bad considering being in this simulcast area.

So there is still alot of good listening but the biggest issue I have is when I do a Tune Search and listen to frequencies 853.425 and 854.4625 the garbled encrypted transmissions are included with everything else and if those agencies weren't present, listening would be even better.

tvengr

Well Known Member
So there is still alot of good listening but the biggest issue I have is when I do a Tune Search and listen to frequencies 853.425 and 854.4625 the garbled encrypted transmissions are included with everything else and if those agencies weren't present, listening would be even better.
Just lockout or delete what you don't want to hear. If you lockout a frequency or talkgroup, you will not hear it while scanning but it will be available while you scroll through frequencies or talkgroups on hold.

u2brent

OAMPT

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

Uniden may repair the unit

tvengr

Well Known Member
Check with Whistler. The Pro-651 was manufactured by Whistler for Radio Shack. It is identical to the Whistler WS1040. There are slight differences in firmware.

Last edited:

GregOH

Just lockout or delete what you don't want to hear. If you lockout a frequency or talkgroup, you will not hear it while scanning but it will be available while you scroll through frequencies or talkgroups on hold.
I don't think I'm able to lockout an agency when hearing them on a Tune Search and locked onto one frequency, because even though many other agencies that are "in the clear" are using the frequency, encrypted law enforcement is as well. I'm locked onto the frequency and hearing every agency that transmits to it. I've tried to use lockout within these frequencies and it doesn't work.

I'm probably wasting my time with locking onto those two frequencies anyway, because I have everything programmed into Talk Groups anyway.

Last edited:

Nasby

I don't think I'm able to lockout an agency when hearing them on a Tune Search and locked onto one frequency, because even though many other agencies that are "in the clear" are using the frequency, encrypted law enforcement is as well. I'm locked onto the frequency and hearing every agency that transmits to it. I've tried to use lockout within these frequencies and it doesn't work.

I'm probably wasting my time with locking onto those two frequencies anyway, because I have everything programmed into Talk Groups anyway.

If you are searching for unknown talkgroups, a better method is to program the MARCS sites/towers with a Wildcard Talkgroup.
This way you can very easily lockout the encrypted TGs as they appear.

GregOH

If you are searching for unknown talkgroups, a better method is to program the MARCS sites/towers with a Wildcard Talkgroup.
This way you can very easily lockout the encrypted TGs as they appear.
I'll try doing that with the next 1040 I get.

I haven't tried to program anything more into this one that what's already programed into it because I really don't know what I'm doing.

FallenAnjel

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

I've bought my last two scanners on ebay.

Including the 651. Been using it for over six years now.

Reconrider

What problems do you have? Are you able to receive weather?
You already know the problems. You replied to this thread a few times before.
Go and reread post number 3 and you have all the info you'll need

Status
Not open for further replies.