Pro 652 cuts out

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky144

I have a pro 652 after being on for 5 min the audio goes quit. If I turn it off then on it comes back for a couple of minutes. Is that a sign a capacitor is going out and if so any guess as to which one?
The audio fades out .

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well maybe you can indicate the systems that you are listening to and include your hometown, County and State. This is quite an old radio made by GRE and could be suffering from simulcast issues as it is not simulcast capable. It could also be one of the issues you mentioned, this is an old obsolete radio, depending on your area, it is sold today as the Whistler 1065.

sparky144

I’m sure it’s an audio issue because I loose the weather frequency’s audio as well. It’s like it just fades away. When I turn it off and back on I regain the audio but the longer it’s on the quicker the audio fades out.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Actually, the Pro-652 was made for Radio Shack by Whistler, using the GRE design. The Pro-197 was the same scanner made for Radio Shack by GRE. The model number changed when the manufacturer changed. Semantics!
Pure semantics Jim, I always considered the radios exactly the same and interchangeable. LOL. I bought four 652s when RatShack went belly-up and had those fire sales. Local store manager charged me $125 a piece LOL. They were already obsolete in my area but I turned them around very quickly for a profit, I still sold them for less than a 1065 is today. Between GRE and RS they were my go-to radios 15 years ago when my area was still type II smartzone systems.

ecps92

To rule out this being a simulcast issue, let it sit on your Local Weather channel and confirm it cuts out
I have a pro 652 after being on for 5 min the audio goes quit. If I turn it off then on it comes back for a couple of minutes. Is that a sign a capacitor is going out and if so any guess as to which one?
The audio fades out .

tvengr

Well Known Member
I’m sure it’s an audio issue because I loose the weather frequency’s audio as well. It’s like it just fades away.
To rule out this being a simulcast issue, let it sit on your Local Weather channel and confirm it cuts out
Already said that weather fades out also. Not a simulcast issue at this time.

ecps92

Missed that...

Then yes, likely a faulty component, that is heating up

IS this the internal speaker ? and have you duplicated it with an External Speaker ?
Already said that weather fades out also. Not a simulcast issue at this time.

sparky144

That’s exactly what I did I turned it on and had it on the weather when it’s cold it works for about 15 minutes. And just fades out quickly. I turn it off then back on and it works but the time is shorter before it fades. Could I have a capacitor going out in the audio? Problem is I have no clue where to look. Or does anyone know of a good radio repair in west Michigan?

tvengr

Well Known Member
That is why I suggested the hair dryer. If the scanner fails quicker or doesn't work at all when heated, that is a good indication it is a temperature related problem. If that is the case, you may be able to locate the defective component using a can of refrigerant spray. When you chill the problem part, the scanner will start working again. Leave the scanner on a weather frequency so you have an immediate indication of when it is working. Look for large discolored resistors around the audio output IC. I have had to replace a couple of shorted output IC's. The IC will be extremely hot if bad.

Last edited:

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
Most any electronic componet is replaceable. Are you near an electronics shop ? Do you know of anyone that has the equipment to repair electronics ? If you have the ability to remove an IC go for it.

sparky144

Most any electronic componet is replaceable. Are you near an electronics shop ? Do you know of anyone that has the equipment to repair electronics ? If you have the ability to remove an IC go for it.
Yea I’m sure going to try. I appreciate all the help. Thanks again

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
The amp is obsolete I did not spend alot of time looking for replacement but did find :

Status
Not open for further replies.