Pro-668 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 668 with the whistler upgrade, I got it from the RR classifieds recently. My question is this, is there anyway to clear the working memory so that I can program it for my area in NE La and for travel through Ms. to SE La. If so could someone please post step by step on how to do this.

Thank you and God bless

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Why did you buy that? Did you look in to how it gets programmed? My friend had one years ago it was the same as Pro-668 only PSR-800 from GRE. I never learned how to work with it. There was issues with SD cards and crashing. Good luck it will be hard to find help without computer programming. Not sure if I have ever seen it done from keypad?

wtp

the 'easy to read manual, good luck, most read it and have more questions...

Default Vals/Restore Factory Defaults Resets all settings to their default values except the welcome message.
Scanner Press SEL or ► to reset.
Software General Settings - Restore Factory Defaults (button). Or File menu > Restore Factory Defaults.
that is what is says, and i have no idea what to do, you might since you have the radio.

jonsmth

If you're able to successfully communicate with your scanner (via the mini-USB cable) or directly to the "microSD card" with the EZ Scan Software, then I would think the easiest thing to do would be to copy the current configuration of the scanner from the scanner to EZ Scan. Once copied to EZ Scan, you can see what has been programmed into the scanner. From that point it is quite simple to delete what you don't want via the EZ Scan software and program into the EZ Scan software whatever you desire. Once you have the EZ scan software programmed the way you want it, then copy the newly updated EZ scan configuration back to the microSD card/scanner.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
If you're able to successfully communicate with your scanner (via the mini-USB cable) or directly to the "microSD card" with the EZ Scan Software, then I would think the easiest thing to do would be to copy the current configuration of the scanner from the scanner to EZ Scan. Once copied to EZ Scan, you can see what has been programmed into the scanner. From that point it is quite simple to delete what you don't want via the EZ Scan software and program into the EZ Scan software whatever you desire. Once you have the EZ scan software programmed the way you want it, then copy the newly updated EZ scan configuration back to the microSD card/scanner.

The poster has previously made it clear they don't own a computer.

Although I think with this particular model, they will at the very least want to find someone who has one and can help them upload programming - I think it would be incredibly tedious and long to do on this model otherwise.

baybum

Unless I'm missing something, the OP does not state he doesn't have a computer, or the means to program it.
His question is: "is there anyway to clear the working memory".
And also states: "so that I can program it".

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
Main menu
Program menu
Global settings
LocationSelect on
Main Menu
Set location
clear channels is last option under this setting

bharvey2

A working laptop with a Windows operating system (Win 7 or newer) should be fine for programming. That would be the preferred way to program so that you can ensure that you have the latest frequency databases available for your areas of interest.

Thank you very much for the replies. I got in touch with one of the VOLs and we went to the fire station in the next town north of us . It took him a little while but he figured it out. He updated the scanner and put in one of the zip codes and now I can pick up outer space. LOL

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't know about the charging issue, but yes, the upgrade does include DMR MOTOTRBO....altho this trunking isn't as good as the Uniden's, from the reports I've seen....Mike

tvengr

Well Known Member
The WS1080 receives DMR, but does not trunk track it. I did see one report where the upgrade woke up a member's Pro-668. It worked far better after the upgrade. You will be able to use the WS1080/WS1088 EZ Scan for firmware, library, and application updates and it also makes the scanner eligible to be serviced by Whistler.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, the TRBO trunking doesn't work very well, but the upgrade DOES cover it, according to this announcement

Mike

From what I understand the pro-106 has had a charging circuit problem, so I don't use the yellow battery holder. I use the energizer slow charger with 2300 mah batteries.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The upgrade made noticeable improvements in both of my radios. The Pro 106 is an older and completely different scanner. It has no yellow cell holder. DMR reception is good and unless a system is busy tracking is not an issue. Both of my radios also handle simulcast in my situation quite well. It is better to not charge AA batteries in any radio. An external charger that charges each cell individually gives maximum cell life and performance.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The upgrade made noticeable improvements in both of my radios. The Pro 106 is an older and completely different scanner. It has no yellow cell holder. DMR reception is good and unless a system is busy tracking is not an issue. Both of my radios also handle simulcast in my situation quite well. It is better to not charge AA batteries in any radio. An external charger that charges each cell individually gives maximum cell life and performance.
That's odd, the owners manual for the Pro-106 says they came with both, the yellow and black battery holders as has been the standard for several of the GRE designs sold by RadioShack. I have the GRE made version, the PSR500 and it came with both battery holders also.
Possibly misplaced yours if you are using an external charger. And yes, I fully agree about charging outside of the scanner!
I've always done that and also use per cell chargers like the good Maha model or similar.

As far as a Pro-106 charging circuit problem, I don't think there was a specific problem specific to the Pro-106. If anything, it's probably the same problem that can happen with charging batteries inside any scanner due to the way individual cells cannot be charged or monitored correctly. That can lead to meltdown of your radio if a single cell shorts. But, it can happen to GRE designs just as easily as it can happen to Uniden designs.

I did read the post about someone not being able to charge in the scanner (a Pro-106) even with the proper yellow holder but I'd say that was an isolated incident with that users particular radio and not any widespread Pro-106 only "charging problem".
As popular as the 106 was back in it's day, a charging problem would have been posted all over the place.

Always good advice though about trying to steer users away from charging regular Ni-Cd or NiMH cells in groups inside their radios!
I have a bin of yellow holders here. On some of my older models I used to isolate the charge voltage supply contact inside the battery compartment so I wouldn't accidentally charge in the radio in the event I only had yellow holders to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.