PRO-95

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelsun2000

Curious if anyone has ever encountered this, and what might be causing it to happen.
I have an old PRO-95 scanner, which I hadn't used in a while. Since the last time I used it, the County I live in made some major changes in their 800 mhz EDACS system, including new frequencies, in a new LCN.
I was able to get the new Simulcast LCN channel format, and enter them into my scanner. I got NOTHING!
I spoke to people who confirmed the new frequencies, and the LCN, so I began to suspect a problem with my old scanner.
One day I was searching frequencies, and came across communications on 800 mhz frequencies, which I recognized as being from the County Sheriff, Fire Rescue, as well as various City Police and Fire Departments.
I wrote down the frequencies I was receiving, and after getting a dozen or more of them, I did some math, and low and behold, they were all +.3800 mhz higher than the correct listed EDACS frequencies. So I took all 20 of the South Simulcast frequencies, added the .3800 to each and every one, and added the frequencies to my scanner. As an example, 851.15000 + .3800=851.1880; 851.53750 + .3800= 851.57500; etc. for all the remaining frequencies. It worked flawlessly, and followed the EDACS trunking. This was in May, 2016, and continues to work flawlessly to this day.

My question is.......
What happened to my scanner while it was in storage? It worked flawlessly prior to being put in a box in my closet, but when taken out of the closet storage, two years or so later, it won't operate on the actual frequencies, but on a mathematical equation of the actual frequencies.

I've asked a couple of local scanner buffs, who said they've never heard of this before, and couldn't answer my question.
Does anyone here know what this could be?

BushDoctor

Add .3800 to LCNs

851.1500+.3800=851.530 You have 851.1880 so I tried .03800 and it came out okay

then you have 851.5375 + me using .03800= you have 851.5755 not matching weither way is just the second 5 digit an error and use .03800 added to LCNs

Thanks

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
It sounds like your scanner became out-of-tune, maybe do to it's age or a storage condition, which affected one of it's components possibly changing the IF. Just a hunch as I am no engineer but anything is possible. Good recovery though, glad it works for you.

gus426

Premium Subscriber
I've had 2 RS Pro-95 scanners in the past that went completely deaf, it wouldn't even pick up NOAA weather. I was able to get the first one replaced because it was fairly new...The other one took a few years before the same problem happened again. The scanner really didn't see that much use..It stopped working and it wasn't even in use like you stated...I stayed away from the RS Pro-95 after that. I replaced it with a Pro-97 that worked till the day I sold it..

Status
Not open for further replies.