PRO-96 Setup using win96

Status
Not open for further replies.

memillsap

Premium Subscriber
My first post, could not find another thread that addressed this:
Dusted off my Pro-96 after few years since we moved to a new location. Downloaded Pro96u12, and upgraded to a premium membership. Purchased a new compatable with the pro96. From File, new template, WEB import, radio reference, trunked systems- I logged in and set up from START: Country, state, county.
Then selected State of CO DTRS. Selected the sites and talk groups i wanted.
Checked 800 mhz rebanded under 3600 CC. Saved template, attached scanner cable, turned on scanner when goes into Clone mode. Then select Scanner, and upload to scanner. It goes thru writing data.
The scanner channel 0 blinks, and the unit does not scan. All the channels seem to go into bank 0. When i push the scan button on the scanner, it just beeps. If i hit manual it will go to specific channels/sites.
I assume that there are some settings (everything i used was default) that are incorrect.
I apologize for my lack of knowledge, and hope that this makes sense.
Can anyone offer any guidance to get set up?
Thanks Much!

Swipesy

Make sure that you have enable Scan Bank 0. If a Bank is not enabled then it will flash. If that is not the issue then report back and we will assist you further.

memillsap

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate you help Swipesy:).
On the Settings page, all scan banks are checked. Under priority channel: AM mode, ct/dc is 0.0, delay and attenuation, weather channel all NOT checked. Alpha tag empty, freq.=0.00.
Tune mode: delay checked
DSP AGC on CHECKED. Scan down NOT checked.
Attenuation mode: normal
NWR SAME codes: no alpha codes listed, all locked out, codes are all 0000
I dont know if any of that helps.
Again: thanks hope your Sunday is great.

memillsap

Premium Subscriber
Update: I just reset to factory default, and now it says: all channels are locked out!
I am beginning to suspect the unit is damaged....

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro96 Setup using Win96

YOU could always try turning it on and push "pgm" "func" "pgm" and use another V-scanner setting to get you started. You could then press 2 and use the number buttons see various STATES to LOAD from there. It should be set up for different states if you have the default Original V-scanner folder from Starrsoft Scroll down to where it says "The Official RadioShack V-Scanner folder contents" Those sites and systems are outdated but it will at least get you started again.

PRO-96 Software - Win96 - Data Management Software for the RadioShack PRO-96 and PRO-2096 Digital Trunking Scanners

Win96 - The RadioReference Wiki

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc71/71778.pdf

The most up to date firmware was 1.4 and WAS online still until recently. ALL links in Radio Reference and other Scanner/Ham boards are sending us back to the new Radio shack front pages only. I checked my old link posts for the 1.4 firmware and it's been changed. If you could find another Pro96 with 1.4 firmware to CLONE the radio to, that would work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swipesy

I have Firmware 1.4 and if you need it just PM me an e-mail address and I can setup a link where you can D/L it from me.

talkpair

My first post, could not find another thread that addressed this:

Then selected State of CO DTRS. Selected the sites and talk groups i wanted.
Checked 800 mhz rebanded under 3600 CC. Saved template, attached scanner cable, turned on scanner when goes into Clone mode. Then select Scanner, and upload to scanner. It goes thru writing data.

I think you want 9600 CC for P25..........Colorado DTRS right?

Here's how the table should be populated;

Code:
        Colorado DTRS Custom Table
 For Radio Shack Pro96 and Pro2096 radios
-------------------------------------------
  Low    High             Base            
 Chan    Chan  Offset   Frequency      Step    
-------------------------------------------
    0    4095       0   851.00625      6.25

Last edited:

memillsap

Premium Subscriber
Pro 96 set up using win

You guys are great- thanks so much for your help.

I tried to V scanner steps, and when i hit "2", it just locked up (Johnny Dollar2).
Next I hit the sequence to put it back to factory defaults. At that point, it said "All channels locked out", and i could not seem to unlock them.
The scanner is not with me now but will look at the table for CO DTRS (Talkpair), and am planning to go by radio shack to talk to a "guru" there.
I may yet get back to you Swipsey (if the unity is not damaged) and take you up on your download of 1.4.

I will let you know what happens... you guys have sure been kind- thanks!
Mike

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro-96 Setup using Win96

That stinks. Hope you get it to work. Last time I had "All channels locked out" if simply punched in any number 049 or 101 manually and entered a frequency, that gave me an open bank number and I hit SCAN, Bank 1 showed up and I then just punched all the rest of the numbers to open up the banks. I'm looking at WIN 96 on my computer right now, There IS a line up on WIN96's first page where you can turn all banks on/off. Making sure those are checked for ON and then trying to upload whatever set up you have to the scanner from Win96 may help.

memillsap

Premium Subscriber
Pro 96 set up using win

Well, I took the pro 96 to the radio shack guru, and he re-programmed it to El Paso county from an old copy of win 96....and it is working...which is awesome.
He said maybe the frequencies i was trying to download to the Pro 96 for Fremont County, CO are of a type or frequency that does not work in the Pro 96.
I guess the other possibility is that when i used the RR web tool, something went wrong.
In any case when i get back home in the next few days i will save a copy of what is on the radio now, and try once again to do a web import for the county i live in NOW.
Again, thanks to all....great support!
Mike

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro96 Setup using Win96

That's good. It's amazing there's still a Radio Shack "guru" in the stores remaining that even knows how to turn a scanner on. The last two stores open near me have mostly high school looking kids wearing dirty jeans and t-shirts. Couldn't figure out what I wanted when asking for a SMA to BNC connector for a scanner antenna. I saw ONE guy over the age of 30 out of the two stores. They're mostly gurus on cell phones, batteries and ear buds now.

Status
Not open for further replies.