Pro-97 Audio Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcoN

I turned on my Pro-97 this morning and it worked fine for the first hour, I put the volume all the way down because of a phone call, after the call I turn it back up again and the volume does not go up at all. I move the volume nob all the way to the full setting and still I get no output from the the speaker, except some static and VERY low volume of the incoming scanning frequency. In order to hear I literally have to place the speaker at full volume to my ear. Turning it off and on, still no change in the volume

I have had the scanner for months now and its been performing perfectly fine untill today.

The weird thing is that the "beep" sound that occurs when you press a button on the scanner is normally played and is loud and normal. And I can see on the display that it is scanning normally.

Any one have any ideas? Please help.

Bucko

I had the simular thing happen on my old Pro 51 and it was a bad contact in the external speaker/ ear phone jack. You may try plugging a external speaker in and back out to see if that helps. I hope it is that simple for you..

EcoN

I plugged in my headphones and at the fullest volume still the same result, VERY low output, I can barely hear anything. =/

Would this be covered under warranty if I went to radio shack?

Last edited:

Astrak

If you can take it back to RS, I had the same problem with mine luckily mine was still under 30 day warranty otherwise it needs to go in for repairs. Sorry but there is nothing else you can really do.

EcoN

Thanks for the info Astrak, just an update:

Went to my local radio shack, its been a couple of months since my date of purchase, but not even a year, and explained my problem and they said they had a couple of people come in with similar problems. They took in my scanner for repair for free under warranty. Going to be about a 1-2 week wait.

EcoN

Got my Pro-97 back today, as Astrak said and the RS manager said it was the Volume Pot. They replaced it and its working fine now. I noticed the volume control is much more "stiff" and tightened as it was before.

Any one have any tips on how to prevent the Pot from going bad again? Maybe not turning it off all the way and leaving it on low volume at night when not really in use to prevent it from the click to the off position?

polygonskull

Hi.

I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday with my PRO 97. The audio just went away. I slowly turned the volume pot up and down and i got it to kick in once, but then went away for good.

I purchased the PRO 97 just 2 weeks ago! Took it back to Radio Shack today, and the exchanged it for a brand new one. It even came in new packaging, a nice cardboard box instead of the blister pack. The volume pot seems nice and tight now. Maybe they realized this problem and made them tighter.

Best part is, they gave me $50 back because they are on Sale. The *day* after i bought it about 2 weeks ago the PRO 97 went on sale... So i got lucky.

medic8023

Same problem

I just purchased my Pro-97 off ebay for $50.00(I know, STUPID!!!), and it sounds like the Volume POT has gone out on mine. I was just wondering what the cost to have it repaired is, or is it even worth my time and money to get it fixed??? Thanks in advance.

amusement

medic8023 said:
I just purchased my Pro-97 off ebay for $50.00(I know, STUPID!!!), and it sounds like the Volume POT has gone out on mine. I was just wondering what the cost to have it repaired is, or is it even worth my time and money to get it fixed??? Thanks in advance.

Probably going to cost you $55 (US) for Radio Shack to send it off to have it repaired.

trunker0205

medic8023 said:

Cant you just order the pot and change it yourself,if your good with a solder iron..

Status
Not open for further replies.