PRO-97 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveb3312

Hello.

I need some help. Last week-end I purchased a new PRO-97 scanner. The problem: I cannot seem to receive any low band transmissions. Of particular concern, are frequencies 33.78, 33.86 & 46.18 which are are local fire dispatch channels. I had no problems wiht my previous scnnaer (a PRO-91).

Can anyone offer any suggestion as to the problem?

Thanks for your help.

jeffrey420

What area?

Low band. Make sure you are in the right mode (am-fm).

I have even found freqs in the 450mhz range in am mode. Some survey outfit mapping new projects.

Location information?

Last edited:

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Yes, check the mode and make sure that it is in FM- that'll throw the reception off on any band if you select the incorrect mode per band.

The antenna supplied with the scanner does not receive low-band all that well, so it also really depends how strong the transmission is and how close you are to the transmitter.

You can also get a telescoping antena from radio shack that works well and really improves lo-band reception. It isn't all that good for a portable mode, though. Hope this helps

Also, just curious- what area are you in?

daveb3312

I have all the bands in FM.

I live in Newark, DE. New Castle County DE Fire dispatch is 33.78, Cecil County MD Fire dispatch is 46.18 and Chester County, PA Fire dispatch is 33.86. All of which I can get fine on my old PRO-91.

cristisphoto

Pro 97 help...

Out here in California
CHP uses mostly Lo band..
I recieve just fine with my stock antenna..
But yes Antennas Defeintly can make or break your reciveing,,,,
Alos usually even if the frewuncy is FM
you should hear albiet not as clear with AM
and Vice Versa...

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
daveb3312 said:

I live in Newark, DE. New Castle County DE Fire dispatch is 33.78, Cecil County MD Fire dispatch is 46.18 and Chester County, PA Fire dispatch is 33.86. All of which I can get fine on my old PRO-91.

Swap antennas between the PRO-97 and PRO-91 and try it again. If the PRO-91 still receives when the PRO-97 does not, take the PRO-97 back to the store for a replacement. Test the replacement in the store so you are satisfied with the reception before you leave.

cristisphoto

THe 97 is pretty sensivtive though.....

pro92b said:
Swap antennas between the PRO-97 and PRO-91 and try it again. If the PRO-91 still receives when the PRO-97 does not, take the PRO-97 back to the store for a replacement. Test the replacement in the store so you are satisfied with the reception before you leave.

I second that!
Though I personally am pleased with the sensitivity of My Pro 97
I also own the BCD 396T
and it a col scanner but the 97 is a tad more sensitive:cool:

Crista

Also make doggone sure they haven't changed frequencies either.
I would say 9 out of 10 errors are the human's fault....

jeffrey420

daveb3312 said:

Have you tried the 97 & 91 side by side?

I see a note for New Castle County in ref. to fire fighters getting new pagers. Says the 33.78 is going to be retired. They have a trunk system that should work on the 97. They also do make ref. of going to digital. Not many details though.

The 33.78 is just a simulcast of Talk Group 3184 of the trunked system for pagers.

Chester County, PA is listed as a LTR trunked analog system. There is also listed a 800mhz conventional system. Both which should work on the 97. I do see the old freqs. I would just use the capabilities of your new scanner.

P.S. Trunked systems are much easier to program using win97 and the data cable. Save wear and tear on the scanner buttons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.