Pro Tip -- check the tightness of those antenna connectors

KB2GOM

My setup for running the Commuter Assistance Network on 2 meters, 70 cm and GMRS -- Commuter Assistance Net -- consists of two Motorola 1250s (one VHF for two meters, one UHF for 70 cm and GMRS), running into a diplexer and then, via LN400, to a Comet GP1 about 10 feet in the air.

On Wednesday, lots of received signals sounded "fuzzy." On Thursday, incoming signals were generally much worse, but I was told that my transmitted signal was 100 percent. Then I tried handitalkies on the same frequencies and could hear everyone just fine. Had water gotten into the antenna? Had the feedline gone south?

After the net was over, I remembered a pro tip from my radio guru -- K2RHI -- he had told me that an antenna connector that is not fully snug (hand tight) can cause problems. I checked all the connections and found that the pl259 connector at the back of the diplexer was 1/3-1/2 of a turn loose. I tightened it, and the problems went away.

Bottom line: if you're having problems with your rig, a good place to start would be to make sure your antenna connectors are tight.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I cant tell you how many police cars and fire trucks I have fixed over the years simply by tightening the antenna connector on the deck. Other pro tip: hand tight only, dont wrench the crap out of them thinking it will make them last longer.

Motorola used to include a little tool you could use to properly tighten the mini-pl connectors on the radios.

PACNWDude

I cant tell you how many police cars and fire trucks I have fixed over the years simply by tightening the antenna connector on the deck. Other pro tip: hand tight only, dont wrench the crap out of them thinking it will make them last longer.

Motorola used to include a little tool you could use to properly tighten the mini-pl connectors on the radios.
After many years of working with Motorola radios, I still have my HLN6695A mini UHF tool, still in its bag on my desk.

Never did use it, just finger tight, and never use pliers (it does not help that Crescent sells a very small set of pliers that works well to remove stuck antennas though, then they get used on the mini-UHF connector at some point too). Slippery slope.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have an old pair of Sears, not Craftsman, slip-joint pliers that have curved jaws and the jaws are bent at about a 40 degree angle. They work well for removing RF connectors in tight places that someone else over-tightened. I just took a look at the Harbor Freight pliers listing and this hose removal pliers is about as close as I could find the old Sears pliers I have. 8 in. Hose Grip Pliers

k6cpo

I have a pair of soft-jawed adjustable pliers I got when working in the aircraft industry. They are specifically designed for installing cannon plugs on aircraft but work just fine on coax connectors. I use these to snug down my antenna connectors. I haven't had issues with a loose one yet.

Like these...