Pro106 CC??'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

mroptimo

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I've been out of the loop for about 12 years and boy have things changed. I'm picking up all the new stuff pretty quick however the downloading and software applications are a big help these days I see! The question I have is in particular with the RR Database downloads for the pro106. I see when I go to download from the TxWarn P25 system I find frequencies listed for counties and or agencies however there are no corresponding CC/control channels for those frequencies listed. For instance Grimes Co Tx shows listed frequencies but no Grimes Co CC listed for them to work on. Also federal frequencies and others in different counties show up but again no corresponding CC to make them work. can someone enlighten me?
Thanks in advance!!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That just means that none of the frequencies has been positively identified as primary or alternate. However, one of the frequencies is certainly being used as a control channel on the site at any particular time. The scanner itself does not use the control channel designation to find the control channel. It checks each programmed frequency and attempts to detect reception of the control channel, regardless of its designation in the database.

mroptimo

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I'm saying what I mean wrong. Example, If I go to the win500 software and download from RR, go to trunked systems, and look in the TxWarn section, You will not find any sites (control channel) listed for Grimes Co. and some of the other Talkgroups listed for them to work, if you put them in a scanner with just the talkgroup the scanner will respond with nothing enabled as the talkgroup has no site/control channel to use.So I can't figure out why there are talkgroups yet no corresponding site or control channels for them to work!

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Elaboration

Ok, I've been out of the loop for about 12 years and boy have things changed. I'm picking up all the new stuff pretty quick however the downloading and software applications are a big help these days I see! The question I have is in particular with the RR Database downloads for the pro106. I see when I go to download from the TxWarn P25 system I find frequencies listed for counties and or agencies however there are no corresponding CC/control channels for those frequencies listed. For instance Grimes Co Tx shows listed frequencies but no Grimes Co CC listed for them to work on. Also federal frequencies and others in different counties show up but again no corresponding CC to make them work. can someone enlighten me?
Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to RR Forums.

First of all, I own the same radio you own, but with a different brand on it. The guts of the radio are identical. I've programmed TxWarn MOT and TxWarn P25. Yes, there are two systems for TxWarn.

I don't know if you know this or not, but you picked one of the more complicated programming efforts in the state of Texas. LOL.

I don't know which programming software you are using. But, I would like for you to review the following information to help you understand how things work.

To me, the WIn500 software is best because you can see the Trunking Systems (TxWarn being on of them) in the top with the corresponding talk groiups (channels) in the bottom half.

Similarly, you will find a list of numerous frequencies on the following page. If you wish to find the various sites within the TxWarn P25 system with the associated frequencies, you might put "Grimes" in the "find" function of your browser. When you do, it will take you to the talk groups for Grimes county.

Please look at the attached map. You can find the various locations of sites (towers) that intersect your listening area. Since I don't know what you are wanting to hear, I am going to attempt to explain how to find these towers.

First of all, I would like to direct your attention to the two sections of this page. Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

You will see several sets of frequencies in the top section followed by talk groups in the bottom section. On the line below "System Frequencies" you will see something called "RR Locations." If you click on this & zoom in on the area around College Station, you will see several orange-colored icons. These are the locations you need to pay attention to for Grimes County. From what I'm seeing, there are no towers within Grimes county since it is right next to Brazos.

The blue numbers represent alternate control frequencies while the red numbers represent the control frequencies.

So, in order to program your radio, you will need to determine exactly where you want to monitor & then find corresponding towers. You can click on "name in the third column from the left to see the transmitting range of the site.

Once you identify which sites you are going to program, then you will click on these in the importing process. Please, remember. The box labeled "CC only" needs to be checked if you are importing a large number of sites.

You need to make sure Also, you will need to click on the associated talk groups for the area you are wanting to monitor. It is best to keep the talk groups specific to the towers. In other words, if you were to put Houston talk groups with the towers in Brazos County, you might not hear anything unless someone from Houston were traveling through Brazos county and keyed up.

When you do select the various sites, the total of control and alternate channels cannot exceed 32 frequencies.

I am also including the following links to help you better understand your radio. In case you are using Win500, my preferred programming software, it will better explain how importing information to your computer/scanner works.

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

WIN500 - UtahRadio

If you let me know what area you're attempting to monitor, I might already have this programmed. I would be happy to share this file provided you're using Win500 and can provide me with an email address to my PM.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Transmitting Power/Distance

Maybe I'm saying what I mean wrong. Example, If I go to the win500 software and download from RR, go to trunked systems, and look in the TxWarn section, You will not find any sites (control channel) listed for Grimes Co. and some of the other Talkgroups listed for them to work, if you put them in a scanner with just the talkgroup the scanner will respond with nothing enabled as the talkgroup has no site/control channel to use.So I can't figure out why there are talkgroups yet no corresponding site or control channels for them to work!

The closest sites associated with the Brazos talk groups are in Brazos & Walker counties. On rare occasions, you might find one like this where the county of interest is not contained in the various sites.

If you are only wanting to hear Grimes county & you happen to live near there, I would certainly consider unchecking the "CC only" box and load all of the system frequencies. For Grimes county, I would go on and load everything listed for those in Brazos County. I might be wrong about the Hensel sight. It might be specific to the A&M groups. There are four sites listed in Brazos county. The bottom two sites for Brazos County (Hensel Park & Millican have no identified alternate or control channels listed. Hence, you can go on and use all of the frequencies.

If you are near the Walker County side of Grimes county, you might want to load the West Walker County site.

Note: There are Brazos Valley Talk Groups you might want to review as well.

However, if you are wanting to program a trip or a very large area in TxWarn, you will need to pay attention to the number of system frequencies you use. You cannot exceed 32 frequencies for each trunking system load. Yes, it is possible to download another TxWarn trunking system if the number exceeds 32.

Again, I would be happy to share my Win500 file with you if you want to use it as an example.

Last edited:

mroptimo

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Ensnared a lot of great information! I used some of the information you provided and the closet tower to me is in College Station. If you look at a map of Grimes Co I'm in the country near the small town of Iola in the north part of the Co. I was able to load brazos county TxWarn with no problem with the Win500 and pick it up very well considering I'm at the fringe of any of the towers. The conventional frequencies all around me come in very well from surrounding counties also. I just was trying to figure out why Grimes Co would have P25 frequencies assigned to it with no means of being able to transmit and use them unless it is some kind of projected usage. As you noticed there are no P25 towers in Grimes Co. that's why I was thrown aback, I have tried several other CC/sites from brazos county and so far no good I'll try the other counties close by also and maybe I'll find one that works thank you again you increased my learning curve!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Highway 30

Thank you Ensnared a lot of great information! I used some of the information you provided and the closet tower to me is in College Station. If you look at a map of Grimes Co I'm in the country near the small town of Iola in the north part of the Co. I was able to load brazos county TxWarn with no problem with the Win500 and pick it up very well considering I'm at the fringe of any of the towers. The conventional frequencies all around me come in very well from surrounding counties also. I just was trying to figure out why Grimes Co would have P25 frequencies assigned to it with no means of being able to transmit and use them unless it is some kind of projected usage. As you noticed there are no P25 towers in Grimes Co. that's why I was thrown aback, I have tried several other CC/sites from brazos county and so far no good I'll try the other counties close by also and maybe I'll find one that works thank you again you increased my learning curve!

I used to drive that route, highway 30 from Brazos to Walker County on Highway 30. I had no trouble hearing them, but it was on conventional frequencies, not TxWarn. If you notice the writing above the Grimes County talk groups, you will see that the various talk groups are for future use. Like I said, I've not heard much of Grimes county on TxWarn P25. However, I have heard Navasota, but it was closer to highway 6 and/or highway 30. You are indeed up there a bit.

I don't know if you are using any outside antenna to increase your range. I would certainly consider buying an outside antenna with healthy elevation. You might see a change.

I do know that Grimes county uses conventional analog & P25 transmissions. Also, if you were to program other counties around your county, you might be surprised to learn how far some P25 signals can travel.

Finally, there are some people who use Directional Antennas so that they can point it at the most powerful site. Again, you might not be able to hear Grimes on TxWarn at present.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.