Pro2006 Backlight Still Dim

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywarrior

Premium Subscriber
I just installed a replacement backlight from a vendor on eBay. eBay Pro 2006 Backlight The display still seems dim to me. Is there an internal adjustment for this?

My 2006 has the on/off button and not the dimmer.

Thanks.
Engine,
I recently purchase one of the display panels from the seller on Ebay and it is nowhere as bright as the original. It is better than none but lacks brightness. I will need to find another supplier that has them that come close to the original brightness.

Swipesy

The El Panel I purchased from the company in England that I referred Engine 104 is as bright as it was when the scanner was new. Even in the "dim" mode it is very readable. I will post a photo here on Thursday.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Engine,
I recently purchase one of the display panels from the seller on Ebay and it is nowhere as bright as the original. It is better than none but lacks brightness. I will need to find another supplier that has them that come close to the original brightness.

Was it the vendor here in the US or one of the suppliers from Hong Kong/China? I bought one from the US vendor and that is the one that is dim, as yours was also.

Like your handle. We used to have Skywarriors flying for Raytheon out of Van Nuys Airport, also at NAS Pt Mugu.

skywarrior

Premium Subscriber
Was it the vendor here in the US or one of the suppliers from Hong Kong/China? I bought one from the US vendor and that is the one that is dim, as yours was also.

Like your handle. We used to have Skywarriors flying for Raytheon out of Van Nuys Airport, also at NAS Pt Mugu.
Hi Engine,
I purchased mine from a seller in the US and it cost me close to $20! Not very happy with it. Hopefully we can all find a good substitute for the original panel.
The A-3 Skywarrior is my favorite aircraft, I used to love seeing them fly and the sound of the engines when they powered up!

Swipesy

Attached is a photo of my Pro-2005 after the replacement EL Panel purchased from Elpaneland Tape in England. $10 + 3.94 shipping and tax. The photo shows the panel as blue but it is actually green. The camera converted the color. As you can see the display is nice and bright and clear. The verticle line in the upper left of the display is the panel connector that was a bit long. I could take the scanner apart and slide the panel but it doesn't bother me. Elpanelandtape said in later production runs they would reduce the size of the connector on the panel.

Attachments

• Photo - 15.jpg
    Photo - 15.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 56

Ubbe

I recently purchase one of the display panels from the seller on Ebay and it is nowhere as bright as the original.
There are different EL panels with different voltages and did you check that the voltage converter in the scanner are outputting a high enough voltage with that EL panel load? Perhaps that specific EL needs more current that the converter can supply and it runs at a lower voltage. Service manual says it should be 70 volt RMS @300Hz.

/Ubbe

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I just replaced the EL panel in my 2006. The display was still dim. After some looking at the schematics and the circuit board, I realized/remembered that I had "modified" the unit way back when I first got it. I had removed R504 and replaced R505 with a 90 ohm resistor. I just put a 47 ohm in place of R504. Display is now readable. Still a great scanner after all these decades.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
I replaced a white EL panel on both a 2006 and 2004 and didn't look bad at all, specially on the 2004.
I Do have an extra 2006 front face that had the same issue as the OP with not turning on even with new EL Panel. Never did get a chance to look more into it to fix it.

Here is the link for the 2004 with white EL Panel

Last edited:

Engine104

Member since 2005
Outstanding Engine 104. Do I detect on the left edge a line like mine has from the connectors or just camera angle?

Thanks! It's the connector line. I slid the backlight over as far as I could, but it is still there a bit. It is nice and bright, though.

Swipesy

I don't notice mine and I would not have noticed yours if it wasn't for the fact I was looking to see if they changed production yet, A none issue to me.

Engine104

Member since 2005
I don't notice mine and I would not have noticed yours if it wasn't for the fact I was looking to see if they changed production yet, A none issue to me.
It's almost not visible. It is the connector pad inside the EL panel. I would tell people who are installing the EL panel from the UK to solder the leads and then slide the panel in the direction of the leads as far as you can. I probably could have slid mine over just a tad more, but being I had to take the radio apart twice because the first time, I failed to remember to slide the panel over, resulting in about 1/4" of the connector pad showing, I left well enough alone :)

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Good job!! did you try to contact that ebay seller about selling you a bad panel? I would never buy from him and no one should now that we all know where to buy from hehe. I've been doing this for years.

Swipesy

Paco-Jerte your comments are uncalled for and flat out incorrect. The EBay seller that Engine104 purchase our ElPanels from is an excellent seller and and manufactures a high quality product. Additionally the seller is an excellent communicator and worked closely with me on my purchase and subsequent installation.

Go peddle your hidden agenda character assination elsewhere.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Paco-Jerte your comments are uncalled for and flat out incorrect. The EBay seller that Engine104 purchase our ElPanels from is an excellent seller and and manufactures a high quality product. Additionally the seller is an excellent communicator and worked closely with me on my purchase and subsequent installation.

Go peddle your hidden agenda character assination elsewhere.
I don't believe Paco-Jerte is talking about the EBay seller that you and Engine104 purchased your ElPanels from. He seems to be talking about the seller that Engine104 originally purchased the dim panel from that he referred to in his post #1.

Engine104

Member since 2005
The UK ones and I suspect the EL panels from Hong Kong are really good. I would have no hesitation suggesting someone buy the one from the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.