Pro97 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobjhunn

Here is my problem, when I'm in trunking mode (EDAC system) it will scan the banks but will not pick up any signals. If I select manual mode and move up and down the frequency you can pick up the signals with no problem. This problem seems to come and go, the scanner will work properly for say one or two days and than will stop working. I have it in OPEN mode so it should pick up everything in our system. I use WIN97 software to upload my saved file but sometimes I will have to reset the scanner for it to upload into the scanner. I've taken the scanner to Radio Shack and had it looked at by there service center which said there is nothing wrong with the scanner. The scanner is now out of warranty and I am wondering if its worth having it fixed. The conventional frequencies pick up fine with no problems. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Highpockets

Here is my problem, when I'm in trunking mode (EDAC system) it will scan the banks but will not pick up any signals. If I select manual mode and move up and down the frequency you can pick up the signals with no problem. This problem seems to come and go, the scanner will work properly for say one or two days and than will stop working. I have it in OPEN mode so it should pick up everything in our system. I use WIN97 software to upload my saved file but sometimes I will have to reset the scanner for it to upload into the scanner. I've taken the scanner to Radio Shack and had it looked at by there service center which said there is nothing wrong with the scanner. The scanner is now out of warranty and I am wondering if its worth having it fixed. The conventional frequencies pick up fine with no problems. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Are you using system 1 and starting with the frequencies in ch 01 not ch00?

N8IAA

Are you using system 1 and starting with the frequencies in ch 01 not ch00?

Also, you have three tower sites for the county. Put in the Control Channels for each of the tower sites and see which is strongest for your area. If you travel around the county, you may need to enter all three sites in different banks to follow the traffic on the system. Even though it's not neccessary, enter in all of the frequencies in the channel #'s that corespond to the number that precedes the frequency. You are not going to put anything else in the bank. Make up a brand new file for your county. The file could have been corrupted somehow. I have yet to have a problem with my 97. Been using it daily since 12/2005. Same with my 96. I have found that my 96, for a trunktracker, is much better than my 97. I just wish it had LTR for a couple of places I travel. Won't put out the higher bucks for a PSR500 until there is a reason for me to get another digital scanner. Check your batteries too. I have found that if they are low, the scanner doesn't work as well.
Hope this helps,
Larry

Highpockets

Also, you have three tower sites for the county. Put in the Control Channels for each of the tower sites and see which is strongest for your area. If you travel around the county, you may need to enter all three sites in different banks to follow the traffic on the system. Even though it's not neccessary, enter in all of the frequencies in the channel #'s that corespond to the number that precedes the frequency. You are not going to put anything else in the bank. Make up a brand new file for your county. The file could have been corrupted somehow. I have yet to have a problem with my 97. Been using it daily since 12/2005. Same with my 96. I have found that my 96, for a trunktracker, is much better than my 97. I just wish it had LTR for a couple of places I travel. Won't put out the higher bucks for a PSR500 until there is a reason for me to get another digital scanner. Check your batteries too. I have found that if they are low, the scanner doesn't work as well.
Hope this helps,
Larry

I only told him to go with system 1, because it looks like he is from Ormond Beach, and the database says Ormond Beach only comes through on system 1.

N8IAA

I only told him to go with system 1, because it looks like he is from Ormond Beach, and the database says Ormond Beach only comes through on system 1.

I guess that I didn't read where I needed to. Thanks. Hope he has the bank and the three CC's programmed as EDACS in the correct channel #'s of 01, 02, 03. Also, another problem with multisite, is that you may not hear everything on the system unless they are close to where you are. You may want to program in the other tower sites for additional monitoring.
Larry

Last edited:

N8IAA

You gave allot more info than I did, I took baby steps, while you jumped. :)
I figured that he was familiar with the software and the radio. Hopefully what info we have given helps. I have a VX2R that had a gigundous amount of frequencies programmed in. Had the memory banks set up, frequencies started jumping from bank to bank using the Commander software. Finally reset the radio and wrote a new file to replace the one that was messing up. No more problems.
Larry

n2mdk

Even though it's not neccessary, enter in all of the frequencies in the channel #'s that corespond to the number that precedes the frequency. You are not going to put anything else in the bank.
Larry

It is necessary with an EDACS system to enter all the frequencies and not just the control channels, the only systems that can use Control Channel Only are Motorola and P-25 systems. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Control_Channel_Only

N8IAA

It is necessary with an EDACS system to enter all the frequencies and not just the control channels, the only systems that can use Control Channel Only are Motorola and P-25 systems. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Control_Channel_Only

No where in the link does it talk about EDACS. My 97 and 96 have control channels in for a system that I monitor when going home to Cleveland,OH. It is the Parma EDACS. It has one main and three alternate CC's. I don't have all the frequencies in the bank. Not neccessary.
Larry

bobjhunn

Pro97 Help

I live in Ormond Beach and I have the scanner program for Volusia County Public Service Systems. I have all the control channels entered along with the proper order for the frequency. I have each of the system's entered on there own banks so I know everything I am doing is right. Plus I have never had problems before even when I entered in the talkgroup ID's that I wanted to listen to in the close bank mode. I'm not new to this so I do know how to setup the scanner for picking up the trunk systems. The fellow at Radio Shack thinks it is with the software that I am using to program the scanner which is WIN97. He wants me to reset the scanner and bring it in so he can clone it with the store scanner. Has anyone had any problems with the Win97 software messing up the scanner when programing?

Thanks

Highpockets

I live in Ormond Beach and I have the scanner program for Volusia County Public Service Systems. I have all the control channels entered along with the proper order for the frequency. I have each of the system's entered on there own banks so I know everything I am doing is right. Plus I have never had problems before even when I entered in the talkgroup ID's that I wanted to listen to in the close bank mode. I'm not new to this so I do know how to setup the scanner for picking up the trunk systems. The fellow at Radio Shack thinks it is with the software that I am using to program the scanner which is WIN97. He wants me to reset the scanner and bring it in so he can clone it with the store scanner. Has anyone had any problems with the Win97 software messing up the scanner when programing?

Thanks

You have just the frequencies marked as control frequencies entered or all the frequencies?

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=199

Last edited:

n2mdk

If you mean this system http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=564 all the frequencies are necessary, your radios aren't special, to trunk track an EDACS system all frequencies must be programmed in. No if ands or buts about it. You might think it's working but I assure you it isn't.
That link doesn't mention EDACS because it has nothing to do with EDACS, they aren't Control Channel Only systems.

N8IAA

If you mean this system http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=564 all the frequencies are necessary, your radios aren't special, to trunk track an EDACS system all frequencies must be programmed in. No if ands or buts about it. You might think it's working but I assure you it isn't.
That link doesn't mention EDACS because it has nothing to do with EDACS, they aren't Control Channel Only systems.
Jerri, I monitored that system with a 95, 96, and 97. I lived there until 9 yrs ago. Every time I visit, the 96 goes with me because of all the digital systems now in place. Trust me, I had scanners that needed all the frequencies programmed in. the Pro-95 through 96 do control channel EDACS tracking. I never missed anything other than if one of the cities on the system were busier than another. Then locked out the offending TG list. That is all that will be said.
Larry

N8IAA

Thanks
Do the reset. Rewrite the files for the 97. I have used Win97 since buying the scanner in 12/06. Never had that problem. Be careful, he may be using ScanCat Lite. That is what a majority of RS's use to program their customers scanners. Have any of the CC's changed? That could cause a problem. Check and let us know.
Larry

SAR923

Trust me, I had scanners that needed all the frequencies programmed in. the Pro-95 through 96 do control channel EDACS tracking.
Larry

Trust me, Larry, you are 100% wrong. Please read page 34 of the PRO-96 manual. You must enter ALL the EDACS frequencies listed in the correct LCN order, starting at channel 001 of the bank and then following the LCN of the EDACS system. The PRO 95 or PRO-96 does not do CC only tracking of an EDACS system. Actually, no RS trunktracker that I know of does that. If you think you're correct, apparently Radio Shack and the tens of thousands of us who use the PRO-96 are wrong. All I can say is that you aren't really trunk tracking by entering EDACS control channels, you are just receiveing voice traffic by dumb luck.

bobjhunn

Guys, it been a while since I last checked back and I must say thank you for all the suggestions. Right now the scanner is working so I'm happy. I tried a new program that I found on the internet for programming the Pro97 scanners (it isn't Scancat lite) and the scanner is working fine. I uploaded the info into Win97 being the other software is a 30 day trial so we will see. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.