Program Kenwood HT via USB

BeeRich

Premium Subscriber
I'm a developer. Got the USB cable to my Kenwood TH-K20A. Outside of programs that are ancient, I'd like to send signals to the unit, but I have no clue about the comm requirements or any protocols that might be standard. I'm guessing there's a way to roll my own.

Any insight appreciated as to how I can achieve this, and any control I can have using my computer.

Cheers

krokus

Premium Subscriber
They have released info on newer handheld protocols. Most likely, they have not changed much, for the same/similar functions.

BeeRich

Premium Subscriber
Ya it's not about any change of functions. I contacted them and they said "we don't publish anything about protocols over USB." Can you provide a link?

a417

I'm a developer. Got the USB cable to my Kenwood TH-K20A. Outside of programs that are ancient, I'd like to send signals to the unit, but I have no clue about the comm requirements or any protocols that might be standard. I'm guessing there's a way to roll my own.

Any insight appreciated as to how I can achieve this, and any control I can have using my computer.

Cheers
Got an oscillosope? I'll bet it's likely some sort of serial protocol for programming...give it a look-see and find out. If the device presents a USB interface to the computer, it might be a little harder. If the cable has a converter in it to provide serial to the radio, you might be in luck. If you're a dev, this is a piece of cake.

Last edited:

BeeRich

Premium Subscriber
Nope. I'm not sure why they just don't publish any of this. It would make everything better to control it with protocols.