Programing help with 898t PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick706

Premium Subscriber
What is the easiest way to program the 898t ? I can't for the life of me figure it out and I've had this scanner for two years now ... every year about the same time I pick it up again and try .... it really shouldn't be this hard. I'm a scanner nut who lost interest when everything went to trunk in the early 90's. I thought maybe by the time I purchased this, that technology for buffs would have gotten a little more user friendly.
Do I have to programin frequencies and talk groups ? Is there a way to just program in that DEC # or AFS # only, and the scanner knows what to scan ? It's extremely confusing and not worth a headache, even if its once a year for a day or so. But I'd really like to listen to what I know I can hear .... if only I could program the damn thing ...
I live in Ulster County NY and my primary listening interest is an EDAC system run by NYCOMCO off Illinois Mt.
at 9600 baud.
Can anyone help ??

SCPD

QRT
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=841, you will need to program the site closet to you ( different sites in different banks.. Program AS SHOWN in the link given here. must be in LCN order if they skip a channel in the DB you do the same ex: only channel # 1 4, 5 & 8 may be used etc // the smal # before the frequency is the channel it should br programmed DO NOT START in CH 0 (Zero) in any bank. also make sure each Frequency is programmed in EDACS mode0 As well as the Back programmed in EDACS mode

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Hold down "trunk" buttom for two beeps, banks flash-pick a bank ex:"A" and press "E"...Turn scroll knob to-EDACS WIDE" press "E".....Turn scroll knob to"" PROf and put in freqys skipping the necessary channels , press enter after each entry...When finished press "SEARCH"...You should see the TGID's pop up....

billybobears

Hello fellow scanner:
Got the same scanner and the same problems - and I'm not even trying to go trunking off on anything. Never could get somebody to guide me, step-by-step to program this BC898T - and the manual is even so vague and figures you already know "how to do it"...I got what I got I guess by foolish accident - to get a frequency scan I just turn the knob until it's okay to punch in a frequency, dial in the freq #, and push "E" for enter. Then I push the "scan" button and "let er rip." seems to work. {I get local signals within about a 10-15 mile range. Even threw up a bearcat scanner antenna on the side of my house runs about 24 feet up. Grounding rod and all that good stuff.} But as far as programming - I never figured out (yet) how to get any further - I guess the scaner is just throwing the frequency I want to hear into whatever available bank and channel it wants to, or is available. I don't even know how to address the assignment of banks and channels to this gadget. Seems like a fine device and I for sure do wish I knew how to do more with it. Maybe before I get really old and feeble somebody, someday..... will tell me how to do what this scanner can really do. If somebody who knows what this thing is all about looked at it they would probably be shocked at the mess I've made of programming this baby!

Please anybody - help us out - I know there's got to be a BC 898T "wizard" out there in this audience.

Any help...super appreciated,

Your fellow scanner bud,

Bill

patrick706

Premium Subscriber
Hold down "trunk" buttom for two beeps, banks flash-pick a bank ex:"A" and press "E"...Turn scroll knob to-EDACS WIDE" press "E".....Turn scroll knob to"" PROf and put in freqys skipping the necessary channels , press enter after each entry...When finished press "SEARCH"...You should see the TGID's pop up....

OK, so you don't have to program in the TGID's, the radio picks them up on its own depending on which sites you punch in the freq's for ?

patrick706

Premium Subscriber
hey Bill, read the two answers I got from our senior members here, I think I have it with some minor queries, but the radio IS now scanning my town police dept, as well as surrounding area police agencies .....

billybobears

Hi Patrick706, Thanks for your advice - now I'm looking into programming trucked systems but really only applies to the New Jersey State Police where I am located - all area towns are in un-trunked systems. Still I have not reasoned out the channel assignment for these individual frequencies. As I wrote in my reply post to your initial inquiry I'm just turning the knob on the BC898T until I can punch in a frequency number, then I'm pressing "E" and the scanner apparantly is assigning the frequency to whatever channel it wants to. I never get to enter the channel number (do not know how to). If you can help me out or anyone else can, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!!!!!

screenersam

I hate motrbro
as I understand it, the system automatically assigns the freqs to the first channels in the selected bank. e.g., if you select bank A (or 1) the first freq goes into channel 1 in that bank; select bank B and the freq goes to the first chan in that bank, whick would be chan 51, etc. this of course will erase the existing freqs so pls reassign.
I've found the software works great on the regular stuff but useless on the trunked.
good luck.

BIG THANKS to RONINJ0LIET for the advice; that's how I got my 898t to work after two weeks of head scratching!!!

Last edited:

billybobears

Hey thanx

Yeah...that's sort of what I figured was going on with this scanner - it automatically files away the frequency you want into the next available slot.....figured that because I'm always pickig up on them after I dial them in! ....So ....must work...still kind of a mystery, Sort of felt I was missing something and probably am.....thanks for your input though. Solves some questions.

...Bill

screenersam

I hate motrbro
got mine workng by selecting 'Ed-hi' and turning the dial after entering the freq. the butel software does NOT work; I've tried every combination.

SCPD

QRT
706... Search thru this forum and find some of the post I have left about the 898T. It shows how to set the radio to Control Channel only and which plan to use for your area. Plus the EIGHT options you can use to make the radio work better. Alot of the info I posted was from try and error, and ALOT of research. The radio has alot of hidden option's that are not in the manual. Some of the info I found in the BCT-8 manual on page 46 & 47.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.