Programming BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

articthunder

Premium Subscriber
I am a new scanner user and I am having some difficulty in programming the Uniden BCT15X. I would like to listen to Sno-Com dispatch. They are located in Snohomish County Washington State, part of SERS. I programmed the system frequencies and then I tried to put in the TGID for the specific channels. My Uniden said it was a bad TGID. I tried several other TGID without success. My scanner is working and scanning some of the channels I want, I would think if I can figure out how to connect the TGID's it would make it so I could set some priority scanning. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. These new scanners are nothing like the ones in the 1980's.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If you have the system programmed properly, in search mode you should be receiving all the talk groups and it should display these numbers.

Make sure you are programming the DEC numbers and not the HEX.

Also make sure you only have 1 site programmed.

RBMTS

Here is another suggestion. If you are programming by hand/keyboard - dump that plan and go download a program called "Freescan". It's free and will allow you to pick and choose what sites and departments (TG's) you want to have programmed into the scanner. It will make the job of programming much easier. Plus if you still have a problem with receiving something, you can send some of us a copy of your file and we can look at it for you and hopefully make any necessary corrections you'd need.

Good luck and have fun with the new scanner ! And welcome to Radio Reference.

Last edited:

articthunder

Premium Subscriber
First of all, thanks for all the responses. Lowboy654 I have looked (still looking) at a lot of different material regarding scanner programming, it is a lot to absorb. W8RMH, a question about the "one site", I programmed one site with all of its Freqs, is that the correct way? Or one site with one Freq?
I am new and I appreciate everyone's patience. RBMTS, I have on order one of the Uniden USB connection cords. I have signed up for the ARC XT programming software, that seems pretty easy to operate and should make it easier to set up the scanner. thanks for everyone's help.

FFSOD7189

Retired Fire Lieutenant
Premium Subscriber
Under SERS you have about 7 sites to choose from depending on where you live. If you live West of Highway 9 choose the West Simulcast, if you live East of Highway 9 pick the East Simulcast. In your radio you have the choise of picking and entering just the Control Channels or all the Freq. I choose all the Freq. For that Site just in case they switch. Now you run your scanner in search mode or manually enter the talk groups you want to listen to.

articthunder

Premium Subscriber
I think I have it working, there is a learning curve to getting the channels you want. What I am still confused about is the TGID's. The TGID's listed on the RadioReference page don't match up to what the scanner shows when searching for TGID's. Here are the TGID's listed below and the ones the scanner shows are like 000-1 or 002-3.

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag

4816 12d A 1 SC-POLICE 1 SC-POLICE 1 - Snocom PD dispatch - All cities Law Dispatch
4848 12f A TAC 1 SC-TAC TAC 1 SC-TAC 1 - Snocom PD car-car Law Talk
4880 131 A 2 SC-POLICE 2 SC-POLICE 2 - Snocom PD - Lynnwood Law Talk
4912 133 A TAC 2 SC-TAC TAC 2 SC-TAC 2 - Snocom PD car-car Law Tac
4944 135 A 3 SC-POLICE 3 SC-POLICE 3 - Snocom PD (future) Law Talk
46192 b47 A ERT SC-ERT - ERT SC-ERT - Snocom emergency response team Law Tac
46256 b4b A CID SC-CID - CID SC-CID - Snocom criminal investigations Law Talk
46320 b4f A NARC SC-NARC NARC SC-NARC - Snocom narcotics Law Talk

RBMTS

the scanner shows are like 000-1 or 002-3

What you see is TGID's for a Type I system. You have the system type setup wrong. Make sure that you set up the system you want to listen to as a Type II system. Not a Type I or a Hybrid. If the system were correct you'd be seeing the decimal TGID's in your post above.

You should be able to correct that in the ARC software (as I remember) and then reload it into your scanner. If not, post or PM me a copy of your data file and I will be happy to fix it for you.

articthunder

Premium Subscriber
For some reason, my pc doesn't like Freescan. It pops up with a warning about installing it. Anyone know why Freescan software is blocked from installing?

RBMTS

Just how is it being "blocked" ? Not sure what you mean by that so you'll need to provide more information. Perhaps you are running some sort of firewall or AV software that is not allowing a program to install, in which case you'd need to temporarily disable them. Are you logged into your PC with administrator rights? If so you might want to lower the Windows security so that you can be prompted for program installs.

Beyond that there isn't much to recommend since there is not much information to go by. The program usually installs quite easily for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.