Programming Cable for Pro-106 -Pro-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfmargetis

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

It's been several years since I've programmed either of these scanners. I've always used Win500 V02.08. Using Radio Shack cable 20-546. Have never had any problems in the past connecting, however, now nothing happens when I connect to my computer. Tried a different computer and still it's not seeing the scanner and the scanner just keeps broadcasting like it's not connected. In the past, as soon as I plug the cable in to my computer it just sees it and I can easily upload and download from my Pro-106 & Pro-197. Made sure I have the latest Win 500 version and drivers. Cable lights up like it's working, but nothing! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

tvengr

Well Known Member
Make sure that you are plugged into the PC/IF jack, not the headphone jack. If the cable has a mono adapter on the end, remove it. The PRO-106 and PRO-197 require a TRS stereo plug. My 20-546 cables work with both Windows 10 and Windows 11 using Win500 and ARC500.

Last edited:

mfmargetis

Premium Subscriber
What was the error? It can help someone else experiencing the same problem.
I thought the computer would "see" the scanner as soon as I connected it, but alas, I remembered that nothing happens until I initiate an upload or download. It had been a while since I needed to program my scanner(s) and I simply forgot that! 😅🙄

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
I was away from Win500 and my Pro-106 for about six years, but when I returned last month I downloaded a new copy of Win 500 in order to pick up any changes. Had a new PC, new version of Windows and the same old cable. So only the scanner and the cable were part of my old system. Many freqs and TGs had changed, of course, while I was away.

I figured that the easiest way to repopulate the data bases in the new Win500 was to download what was in the scanner from years ago. Much to my surprise, that worked just fine. So now I'm editing the old database to add the new entries and remove the old. That seems to be going well.

It is surprising how much I forgot about Win500 over the recent years. Luckily, the software does a pretty good job of flagging errors.

caquino

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same boat... my Pro-106 has been mothballed in a closet for almost 10 years... have decided to reserect it to get into railfanning, I've got a lot of catching up to do, and don't remember much, so I'm starting out all over again.. ugh.

wisebid

Hi all,

It's been several years since I've programmed either of these scanners. I've always used Win500 V02.08. Using Radio Shack cable 20-546. Have never had any problems in the past connecting, however, now nothing happens when I connect to my computer. Tried a different computer and still it's not seeing the scanner and the scanner just keeps broadcasting like it's not connected. In the past, as soon as I plug the cable in to my computer it just sees it and I can easily upload and download from my Pro-106 & Pro-197. Made sure I have the latest Win 500 version and drivers. Cable lights up like it's working, but nothing! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

caquino

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I ran into the same thing and thought what the heck? Unlike Win97 on a Pro-97, where the radio stops scanning and connects to the computer when plugged in, Win500 does not affect radio operation until you initiate a download of upload to the radio.

When the upload/download operation completes, the radio goes back into normal operation.

I noticed the Win500 displays a "waiting for scanner" message whenever you initiate an download/upload operation, while it waits for the scanner to go into the programming mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.