Programming CLMRN on 996P2 using FreeSCAN, not working, Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
Just thought if I go over the steps I’m taking, maybe someone can tell me what I’m doing wrong.
After logging on to FreeSCAN, I choose and click import trucked system, I cick CT then Fairfield County, click CLMRN.
I then see Sites and Groups.
I click “None “ then click “Troop G Simulcast” there is an asterisk after the word Simulcast, I don’t know why.
I then go over to groups, click “none” then click “State Police“ then Import.
Once it’s imported, I assign a quick key, click on (GRP) State Police.
On the next screen, I go down the list and lock out everything but CSP Trp G Disp 1 TGID 301 and CSP Troop G CarToC TGID 303.
Next I upload to scanner
While scanning the site, I’m getting 2-3 bars but no calls. I switch from ID scan to search and still nothing.
I then go to the scanner app on my phone and listen to all the stuff I should be hearing on my BCD996P2.
So, anyone have any ideas?
I do the same procedure with the troop I simulcast, I’m getting 3-4 bars but not hearing the calls.
I live in the southern part of Trumbul, CT with RT-15 to the north, RT-8 to the east and RT-25 to the west. I have never had a problem getting Troop G before.
Thank you for any input and for taking the time to read this!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 996 doesn't do simulcast, unless you're in a fairly confined sweet spot where the signal from one transmitter dominates the frequency. Getting a good signal but no traffic is a classic symptom of simulcast decode trouble, and the only real solution is to get a radio designed for it.

cg

Premium Subscriber
When you say you have never had a problem getting Troop G before, when are you saying you had reception of it? Last week, month, year? If you haven't been monitoring since the change to phase 2 (a year ago I think), that killed reception for many people. The P25 phase 1 simulcast was very good with those scanners but the phase 2 made reception more difficult.
You can go back through the CLMRN thread for the last year and read some of the solutions/workarounds. Some folks had better luck with just a single control channel, some use directional antennas, some can't get it to work no matter what. Since the radios described above are at least $600, it is worth investing some time and see what might work for you.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
When you say you have never had a problem getting Troop G before, when are you saying you had reception of it? Last week, month, year? If you haven't been monitoring since the change to phase 2 (a year ago I think), that killed reception for many people. The P25 phase 1 simulcast was very good with those scanners but the phase 2 made reception more difficult.
You can go back through the CLMRN thread for the last year and read some of the solutions/workarounds. Some folks had better luck with just a single control channel, some use directional antennas, some can't get it to work no matter what. Since the radios described above are at least $600, it is worth investing some time and see what might work for you.
I believe 3-4 months ago I began to notice I wasn’t getting much on the state channels, I deleted the system and downloaded again from Radioreference via freescan and i seemed to be getting calls for a while and then nothing.
This was so much easier when all you had to do was enter 42.04 mhz for G
Do the SDS scanners do a better job?
Thanks for the reply

i seemed to be getting calls for a while and then nothing.
As cg says, lots of people had a hard time after the system switched over.

The SDS scanner will give you comparable results.

You'll probably need an external antenna. To confirm the programming, I'd take the scanner for a ride in the car closer to one of the troops.

I use a 325P2, 996P2 and SDS200 and I receive them fine in Middletown, though the signals got weaker after the switch a couple of months ago.

You can read some older posts from when the system switched over starting here:
https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/clmrn-was-csern.389614/post-3363536

Last edited:

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
So the SDS scanners help with simulcast issues, which usually sound like garbled or "fringe" decode, but can also present as loss of signal.
You got the signal better 3-4 months ago when the leaves were on the trees and it was warmer out. Landscape and temperature changes are more noticeable at 800 MHz. As Dr. Dialtone above said, you may need to get a better antenna, likely an external one to help. The SDS would definitely be a better improvement over the current scanner, as they tend to just be better performers in the 800 range anyways. However if your reception is poor or fringe, no scanner will help that situation.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The SDS would definitely be a better improvement over the current scanner, as they tend to just be better performers in the 800 range anyways. However if your reception is poor or fringe, no scanner will help that situation.
That's obviously not the problem if he's getting 3-4 bars of signal. It's definitely a simulcast issue.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
As cg says, lots of people had a hard time after the system switched over.

The SDS scanner will give you comparable results.

You'll probably need an external antenna. To confirm the programming, I'd take the scanner for a ride in the car closer to one of the troops.

I use a 325P2, 996P2 and SDS200 and I receive them fine in Middletown, though the signals got weaker after the switch a couple of months ago.

You can read some older posts from when the system switched over starting here:
https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/clmrn-was-csern.389614/post-3363536
The “park near a tower” is a good idea, ill try that and maybe have better luck. What gets me is that your 996P2 works in Middletown and I’m getting great signal here in Trumbull but no voice! I wonder if I can reboot my 996P2. I’m afraid to spend all that $$$ on a SDS model and find out it doesn’t work.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The SDS models are specifically designed for simulcast. There are literally thousands of posts here on the subject showing they work great for simulcast.

cg

Premium Subscriber
There is no doubt they work good for simulcast... if that is the problem. I think it is important that people realize that there can be reasons other than "it is a simulcast system" before they spend over $600 for a scanner. Also, having a simulcast system doesn't mean that it cannot be heard by some with a non SDS scanner. There are things to try if they have a 996P2 or 325P2 first before they spend the money.
The state was running a P25 simulcast P1 system and the non SDS radios were doing well. It is the Phase 2 change that created the big issues.

chris

APX7500X2

The “park near a tower” is a good idea, ill try that and maybe have better luck. What gets me is that your 996P2 works in Middletown and I’m getting great signal here in Trumbull but no voice! I wonder if I can reboot my 996P2. I’m afraid to spend all that $$$ on a SDS model and find out it doesn’t work.
If your in Trumbull just drive to Cricket La & Coral Dr intersection. you will be 100 yards from a site

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is no doubt they work good for simulcast... if that is the problem. I think it is important that people realize that there can be reasons other than "it is a simulcast system" before they spend over $600 for a scanner. Also, having a simulcast system doesn't mean that it cannot be heard by some with a non SDS scanner. There are things to try if they have a 996P2 or 325P2 first before they spend the money.
The state was running a P25 simulcast P1 system and the non SDS radios were doing well. It is the Phase 2 change that created the big issues.

chris
It's obviously a simulcast issue if you're getting 4-5 signal bars but no traffic. Changing a simulcast system's configuration (transmitter configuration, power output levels, phasing, antenna setup, etc) will change the location of "sweet spots" where conventional scanners will work. And that had to happen when converting the system to Phase II. So unless the OP suddenly and completely lost all ability to competently program his scanner, the odds the issue is simulcast are overwhelming.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Before you spend $600 I would suggest you look through the other CLMRN threads and see what worked for others. You may get it working well enough for your satisfaction.

chris

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
Got the SDS 200 today, I’m very happy with it. Had to wait for Uniden to come back online so I could update the data base and the firmware.
CSP G is coming in loud and clear!
Thank you all for the input!
Also, it would be good if no one mentions to my wife that I could’ve listened to CSP for free on my iPhone, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.