TRX-1: Programming Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacravitae

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I give up. I need help. I have had the scanner for about 12 days, and I have not been able to program any trunking system by hand or by software, upload to the scanner, select "scan", and receive transmissions. The closest I've gotten, has been, to see "T" flash-in at the top of the scanner display, but not hear anything or see it stop on any TGRP or Radio ID object. In other attempts, all I get is "Nothing to scan".

I am able to program via "Set Location" , Zip code, and it seems to scan fine by that means. I can see and hear, as the scanner stops on objects located in the systems uploaded by that means. Of course, that is not the way I want to use the scanner, normally.

I have some past experience programming scanners by hand, my first being the Pro-43, and more recently ( 5-7rs ago ) the PSR-500 and BCD396XT.

I seem to be missing some critical "something", in attempting to program this scanner. I have tried to follow the instructions in the booklet that came with the scanner, and the "Easier to Read Whistler WS 1080 / 1088..." instructions, found online, both of which I found somewhat confusing. Granted, I am not nearly the most tech savvy individual, but have usually been able to eventually gain success. Often through researching this site, or direct assistance from the great group of guys at this site.

I live in the Brevard County, Florida area, and attempted to program the EDACS Standard, Public Services System. I selected "EDACS", entered "site" with frequencies in LCN, I just wanted to test scan, so I programmed a "wildcard" TGRPID as the only object in my Scan List. I don't fully understand the relationship between Scan Lists and Scan Sets, but I think that the Scan Set had an enabled scan list associated with it.

I also tried to program The Kennedy Space Center, Motorola Type 2 system using a wild card. In trying to program this system, I could not determine if and where the Base, Spacing, and offset needed to be entered.

I also tried to program the Patrick Air Force Base, Project 25 Phase 1 system.

After so many days, I am certainly being burdened with the feeling that, "I am never going to get it".
In any case, I just need to verify if it is me, or the scanner is not working as it should, and send it back. I strongly suspect that it is me.

I am hoping that someone, might be able to give me a quick "step by step" to programming one of these systems. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Trx Programming

Ok. I give up. I need help. I have had the scanner for about 12 days, and I have not been able to program any trunking system by hand or by software, upload to the scanner, select "scan", and receive transmissions. The closest I've gotten, has been, to see "T" flash-in at the top of the scanner display, but not hear anything or see it stop on any TGRP or Radio ID object. In other attempts, all I get is "Nothing to scan".

I am able to program via "Set Location" , Zip code, and it seems to scan fine by that means. I can see and hear, as the scanner stops on objects located in the systems uploaded by that means. Of course, that is not the way I want to use the scanner, normally.

I have some past experience programming scanners by hand, my first being the Pro-43, and more recently ( 5-7rs ago ) the PSR-500 and BCD396XT.

I seem to be missing some critical "something", in attempting to program this scanner. I have tried to follow the instructions in the booklet that came with the scanner, and the "Easier to Read Whistler WS 1080 / 1088..." instructions, found online, both of which I found somewhat confusing. Granted, I am not nearly the most tech savvy individual, but have usually been able to eventually gain success. Often through researching this site, or direct assistance from the great group of guys at this site.

I live in the Brevard County, Florida area, and attempted to program the EDACS Standard, Public Services System. I selected "EDACS", entered "site" with frequencies in LCN, I just wanted to test scan, so I programmed a "wildcard" TGRPID as the only object in my Scan List. I don't fully understand the relationship between Scan Lists and Scan Sets, but I think that the Scan Set had an enabled scan list associated with it.

I also tried to program The Kennedy Space Center, Motorola Type 2 system using a wild card. In trying to program this system, I could not determine if and where the Base, Spacing, and offset needed to be entered.

I also tried to program the Patrick Air Force Base, Project 25 Phase 1 system.

After so many days, I am certainly being burdened with the feeling that, "I am never going to get it".
In any case, I just need to verify if it is me, or the scanner is not working as it should, and send it back. I strongly suspect that it is me.

I am hoping that someone, might be able to give me a quick "step by step" to programming one of these systems. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

If you are seeing "nothing to scan", then you do not have the scanlist enabled. I believe the default scanlist is 1 and if that is the location you programmed the systems to, then it should be working. If during programming, you did not set a scanlist, you need to edit the systems to include a scanlist. Then it should work.

sacravitae

Premium Subscriber
I did enable Scanlist-1, with a wildcard object in it , so I thought that I understood that it should scan the entire system and display any talk group and radio id that transmits, and carry the audio. I thought that I understood thatt you also have to have a Scan Set associated with a Scan List that that is enabled, which I also thought that I had set up correctly, though I do not fully understand the Scan List / Scan Set relation.
I just want to see the thing scan a trunking system properly, using a wild card, before time is up and I have to send it back. I do not really think that the scanner is defective. I suspect that I am not doing something right. That is why I was hoping that someone who has programmed an EDACS system into the TRX-1, and seen it work properly, might be willing to to post a step by step that I could follow, which would reveal if and what I am doing wrong. Thanks for reaching out to help.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
EDACS systems are some of the most difficult to program, because you have to have each frequency in the correct order.

The Whistler scanners will not do digital EDACS, so if the system is ProVoice, you will have to have a Uniden with the ProVoice upgrade.

I am not in a position to do a write up guide right now, but I am happy to help you individually.

Can you provide more information about the system you are trying to receive?

sacravitae

Premium Subscriber
Lots of questions here.

Have you tried programing conventional frequencies yet? You're kinda starting off with a big task.

Email your v-scanner config and I will take a look. Justin@DigitalFrequencySearch.com

Thanks for responding. It's not my first time programming a trunking scanner. Just new to this one, and been away from it all for a while. I was looking at the capabilities of some of the scanners now, and it looked like a good time jumpstart the hobby.

sacravitae

Premium Subscriber
EDACS systems are some of the most difficult to program, because you have to have each frequency in the correct order.

The Whistler scanners will not do digital EDACS, so if the system is ProVoice, you will have to have a Uniden with the ProVoice upgrade.

I am not in a position to do a write up guide right now, but I am happy to help you individually.

Can you provide more information about the system you are trying to receive?

The system is Provoice and Analog, LCN is in the database here. The scanner trunks the system W/audio, when I use the "Set Location" feature. Thanks. It's difficult to "ask" for anything, but I was not looking for a major write up . I have seen the sources with program sequences, I just can't, for the life of me, figure out what I'm doing wrong. At this point, also, I have been looking for instructions for restoring the scanner to factory settings., with no success. ( The sequence of buttons to press while turning the scanner on ) Thanks for your response.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
If you were to send me your V-configuration file, I would likely be able to quickly identify what is going wrong.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Well I am not sure anyone is going to try to say that dealing with trunked radio system sin EZ Scan is simple. There's a lot of things it could be. I can look over it quickly to try to identify the problem. Do you know how to export the archives?

sacravitae

Premium Subscriber
Thanks For Helping

Thanks alot, Aggiecon, and all. I discovered that I can at accomplish what I want via "Browse Library". This will work for now, though I have always insisted on being able to program systems in totally by hand. Amazing scanner. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.