Programming PD on Motorola APX6000

Nierardi

I am a firefighter and would like to put PD on my Motorola APX6000. From what I read it’s a Phase 2 and has TDMA enabled in flash. I would like to have 3rd precinct added. Would anyone know where I could get that done or how? I would be willing to pay.

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
Suffolk County PD controls all 7/800 programming for the county system.

A. They will only program radios that have never been programmed before.
B. Radios will need to be accompanied by FD letter head authorizing radios to be programmed. Depts can bring their radios to FRES, and FRES will get them to SCPD for programming.
C. Moving forward, any radios found to be cloned, and not granted permission to be on the county system, will be disabled aka killed.

So I don't recommend trying to circumvent the system. SCPD just put out a letter stressing this. They know there are unauthorized radios on the system, and this was their fair warning. They are going to start cleaning things up, and disabling unauthorized radios.

If you have a new radio, and your FD authorizes it - they need to send it to FRES along with a letter.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If you have a new radio, and your FD authorizes it - they need to send it to FRES along with a letter.
From the OP's post, it appears they are looking to get PD in their radio, not FD.
Thinking the chances of that happening legitimately are somewhere under 0%.

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
There is no legitimate way for you to get your personally owned apx programmed onto the county system. The letter the suffolk county police just put out recently states fire and ems agency radios only. Radios must have agency asset tags and be accompanied with the purchase invoice among other requirements.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Oh wow I'm always curious of agencies handling of these issues and first page of googling and there is this letter and posted on their communications page. Radio Authentication coming soon! no more unauthorized radios. The door is closing.

Edit: BEAT by mere seconds haha

Nierardi

Suffolk County PD controls all 7/800 programming for the county system.

A. They will only program radios that have never been programmed before.
B. Radios will need to be accompanied by FD letter head authorizing radios to be programmed. Depts can bring their radios to FRES, and FRES will get them to SCPD for programming.
C. Moving forward, any radios found to be cloned, and not granted permission to be on the county system, will be disabled aka killed.

So I don't recommend trying to circumvent the system. SCPD just put out a letter stressing this. They know there are unauthorized radios on the system, and this was their fair warning. They are going to start cleaning things up, and disabling unauthorized radios.

So SCPD can see who is listening and if they are unauthorized or not. And if you are unauthorized they will just shut your radio down?

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
And someone is sad about no more unauthorised radios on the system?
Tell us, why would one be sad?
Do you leave your car unlocked?
Do you leave your home front door unlocked?
smh

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Premium Subscriber
So SCPD can see who is listening and if they are unauthorized or not. And if you are unauthorized they will just shut your radio down?
1) If you have a personally owned radio on the Suffolk trunked system, and it affiliates with the system, that is illegal. The system will kill the radio.
2) If you have a department owned and issued radio, which the County has already programmed, then your department needs to make a formal request to reprogram the radio.
3) Are you seeking to monitor the PD's channel, through non-affiliated monitoring? If you want to non-affiliate monitor, that you can do, but as soon as you affiliate, you are violating the law.
4) If your radio affiliates with the system, yes, the SCPD can see who is listening and kill the radio. If your radio is not affiliated with the system and is just "scanning" then they can't see you listening and can't kill the radio.

Can you please clarify?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Im shocked they allow police dispatch into fire and ems radios. In my area they are like no way but can use a scanner to listen.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Im shocked they allow police dispatch into fire and ems radios. In my area they are like no way but can use a scanner to listen.
It's pretty common in parts of NY (especially downstate/NYC metro area) to have PD channels scanning in FD/EMS radios. Been that way forever going back to conventional days, carried forward with trunking. Of course if PD is secure chances of FD/EMS getting access is slim to none aside from maybe a high ranking official.

Nierardi

1) If you have a personally owned radio on the Suffolk trunked system, and it affiliates with the system, that is illegal. The system will kill the radio.
2) If you have a department owned and issued radio, which the County has already programmed, then your department needs to make a formal request to reprogram the radio.
3) Are you seeking to monitor the PD's channel, through non-affiliated monitoring? If you want to non-affiliate monitor, that you can do, but as soon as you affiliate, you are violating the law.
4) If your radio affiliates with the system, yes, the SCPD can see who is listening and kill the radio. If your radio is not affiliated with the system and is just "scanning" then they can't see you listening and can't kill the radio.

Can you please clarify?
It is a personal radio I want to leave in my truck. It is not affiliated. I will not be transmitting through pd obviously. What’s the difference between afflicted and non afflicted?

Nierardi

The FRES RESPONDER codeplug incudes pd but its setup as tg/ag disabled aka receive only
That’s perfectly fine with me hsve no intention to transmit. It just nice having the call come through a minute or two before it comes over Fd dispatch.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
In Beaver County we had PD in our radios with transmit enabled. It wasn't common but it would happen that you would hear fire on PD or PD on fire if they needed something quickly.