• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 3000 Programming -Instruction

pb3400

For what its worth, the radios you're hoping to use on GMRS are not type accepted for Part 95 operation, and would be illegal to use on GMRS. Between that and the potential inability to properly match the GMRS operating parameters, I would recommend just getting a proper type accepted GMRS radio.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
For what its worth, the radios you're hoping to use on GMRS are not type accepted for Part 95 operation, and would be illegal to use on GMRS. Between that and the potential inability to properly match the GMRS operating parameters, I would recommend just getting a proper type accepted GMRS radio.
part 90 radios excede part 95 radio specs.. Before the glut of cheap-o GMRS radios the only radios able to be used were commercial two way radios.. There are thousands of users using Motorola Kenwood, and other manufactures. I would take a 20 year old Motorola XTS3000 over a Baofeng any day. By the way the repeaters.. Who makes those? Motorola Kenwood vertex....

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
part 90 radios excede part 95 radio specs.. Before the glut of cheap-o GMRS radios the only radios able to be used were commercial two way radios.. There are thousands of users using Motorola Kenwood, and other manufactures. I would take a 20 year old Motorola XTS3000 over a Baofeng any day. By the way the repeaters.. Who makes those? Motorola Kenwood vertex....

That's a wholly inaccurate statement…especially the part about before the glut of cheap GMRS radios as there were plenty of Part 95 certified radios out there…they just all happened to be certified for Part 90 as well.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
part 90 radios excede part 95 radio specs..

While some Part 90 radios may MEET the specs for Part 95, the FCC is quite clear that Part 95 certified radios are required on GMRS.

Just because 'everyone else' ignores those rules does not negate the existing FCC requirements.

Before the glut of cheap-o GMRS radios the only radios able to be used were commercial two way radios.. There are thousands of users using Motorola Kenwood, and other manufactures. I would take a 20 year old Motorola XTS3000 over a Baofeng any day. By the way the repeaters.. Who makes those? Motorola Kenwood vertex....

I'd agree with you.

However, you are missing that back then, companies like Kenwood, Motorola and Icom had UHF radios (portable, mobiles and repeaters) that actually had both FCC Part 95 —AND— FCC Part 90 certifications.

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
While some Part 90 radios may MEET the specs for Part 95, the FCC is quite clear that Part 95 certified radios are required on GMRS.

Just because 'everyone else' ignores those rules does not negate the existing FCC requirements.

I'd agree with you.

However, you are missing that back then, companies like Kenwood, Motorola and Icom had UHF radios (portable, mobiles and repeaters) that actually had both FCC Part 95 —AND— FCC Part 90 certifications.
Really off topic- but has part 90 exclusive stuff ever been allowed on GMRS? Around me there’s a small public safety-ish organization using an ancient GMRS license and their stuff is not part 95.

pb3400

I have nothing else to add, except the rules is the rules, thems the breaks. If you want to legally use Part 90 equipment on Part 95, get the FCC to change the rules. Until then, Part 95 radios is what is required.

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
That said, 99.9% chance you won’t get in trouble. I would advise not doing that but most GMRS users just do it anyway and another local radio shop owner (who I don’t much care for) sells and programs a bunch of new and used part 90 stuff to GMRS users and has yet to get in trouble.

pb3400

Is the only reason you don't run reds and speed on the road the fact that you might get a ticket?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
local radio shop owner (who I don’t much care for) sells and programs a bunch of new and used part 90 stuff to GMRS users and has yet to get in trouble.

That's a shame.
Shops have been busted for doing this kind of stuff, and it happens frequently enough that they should be paying attention.

Doing it as a hobby and getting a hand slapped might be fine for an individual

Doing it as a professional where one might have a GROL ticket, multiple other LMR licenses, the reputation as a good shop, and some level of pride in ones work should flash some warning signs. Taking pride in ones profession is something that many don't have, and all they see is dollar signs.

For some of us, integrity is important and something we value. Some, not so much.

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
Is the only reason you don't run reds and speed on the road the fact that you might get a ticket?
A similar analogy is this. Would you feel safer going 25 MPH in a straight line in a road legal rusty junker or a super car that isn’t road legal?

knockoffham

Premium Subscriber
That's a shame.
Shops have been busted for doing this kind of stuff, and it happens frequently enough that they should be paying attention.

Doing it as a hobby and getting a hand slapped might be fine for an individual

Doing it as a professional where one might have a GROL ticket, multiple other LMR licenses, the reputation as a good shop, and some level of pride in ones work should flash some warning signs. Taking pride in ones profession is something that many don't have, and all they see is dollar signs.

For some of us, integrity is important and something we value. Some, not so much.
Same guy called me a half ass for not owning a 30K service monitor even though I don’t do alignments and then proceeded to cancel a client’s active license and install a 50 watt repeater loose on top of a piece of plywood. He has been in business 30 years. Here I am totally off topic again…