• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming problem..or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I received my G5 a while ago & decided to take a stab at programming it. I'm in create a new profile & see the drop down to pick your model number. The model # on the box & on the G5 match & the last 7 are 1400UNI. I found a match for the first 13 letters / digits, but the last 7 are 1401UNI, not 1400UNI. If I choose the close match & click select, a box opens that says "Are you sure you want to use model number G5B64BF-SXVXEN1401UNI for this profile?"

What do I do at this point? Can this be changed if necessary. Why is my model # not in this drop down list? Unit was purchased from Ray's Pager Sales.

Any ideas on where to go from here? Thanks for looking!

Bob
N2OAM

Last edited:

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I don't know off hand, but you might try reading from the radio. It's probably blank, but the correct model number should then be selected. There are several flavors of G5 including VHF, UHF with one range, and UHF with another range. If you select the wrong one, then you may not be able to program it.

Ok, so I received my G5 a while ago & decided to take a stab at programming it. I'm in create a new profile & see the drop down to pick your model number. The model # on the box & on the G5 match & the last 7 are 1400UNI. I found a match for the first 13 letters / digits, but the last 7 are 1401UNI, not 1400UNI. If I choose the close match & click select, a box opens that says "Are you sure you want to use model number G5B64BF-SXVXEN1401UNI for this profile?"

What do I do at this point? Can this be changed if necessary. Why is my model # not in this drop down list? Unit was purchased from Ray's Pager Sales.

Any ideas on where to go from here? Thanks for looking!

Bob
N2OAM

rja1

Premium Subscriber
I don't know off hand, but you might try reading from the radio. It's probably blank, but the correct model number should then be selected. There are several flavors of G5 including VHF, UHF with one range, and UHF with another range. If you select the wrong one, then you may not be able to program it.

When I read Connected Devices > Detail, all I get is the Serial Number. The correct model number is not on the drop down list.

Bob
N2OAM

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I would continue with the one that best matches what you have. Try programing a few things, before you do too much work, and then write it to the radio, and see if it works.

When I read Connected Devices > Detail, all I get is the Serial Number. The correct model number is not on the drop down list.

Bob
N2OAM

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
It's VHF / 700 - 800.

Bob

As I recall, of the options you are presented, only one has a "V" in the model description. The others all have a "U" in the same or similar spot. I can't verify this at the moment as I am not anywhere near my laptop, but if that checks out you are safe to use the "V" choice. When I started my first profile I was also confused, but I took a chance on V and it worked out fine for my VHF flavor G5,

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
Bob, in your or original question, "programming problem or not" I would classify yours as an "or not" .
When I got that same question when I first started programming, I looked at the corresponding number on the box, and said " yeah I'm sure", hit yes and I was off and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.