Programming problem with Sentinel software

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA1LMC

I just received a new BCD536 and set it up with Sentinel software. Pretty easy complained to ARC536PRO. today I decided o add a few new favorites. I compiled the new code plug and uploaded with sentinel. I deleted the favorites since it was uploading all the favorites. Well it went through the process successfully (or so i thought) the scanner was blank. So i created a small code plug using ARC536 and programmed the scanner ok. So why not just use Butel. Well it is difficult to use and being visually impaired, hard to see. I did reinstall the software with the current version but the problem still exists. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, is there a fix?

GeekNJ

Not exactly sure what steps you took and where such as "deleted the favorites".

You can go back into Sentinel and do a Write to Scanner. Make sure you have "Force Write Full Database" selected.
What is on the scanner when you are done?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Using Sentinel, in the profile both Download and Monitor have to be turned on for each favorites list. Also in the profile, check that all appropriate service types are enabled.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have "Force Write Full Database" selected.

It's not necessary to check the "force write full database" in Sentinel unless you are trying to over-write the master database in the scanner with one of the same date from Sentinel. The only time you would need to check that box would be if the master database in the scanner had somehow been corrupted (for example... a bad SD card), and you were re-writing the same date database to the scanner again.... a rare instance.

If the master database in Sentinel is working fine, and up to date, selecting "force write full database" unnecessarily will just add a fair amount of extra wasted time each time you are writing to the scanner.

Once you update the database in Sentinel with the weekly update, and it's newer than the one in the scanner, just writing to the scanner will always overwrite the one in the scanner without checking that box.

To the OP... Check the profile editor in Sentinel to be sure the favorite list is set to both "download" and "monitor".

Checking the "Erase Favorites Lists on Scanner" box is always good practice when uploading any changes to favorites lists. Otherwise you may end up with more than 1 copy of your favorites lists being in the scanner.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Butel says ARC536PRO “complements” Sentinel. You still need Sentinel for firmware updates, the stuff ARC doesn’t cover. I use ARC religiously for editing but still go back to Sentinel and save what I changed in ARC. It helps me stay familiar with both programs.

WA1LMC

Not exactly sure what steps you took and where such as "deleted the favorites".

You can go back into Sentinel and do a Write to Scanner. Make sure you have "Force Write Full Database" selected.
What is on the scanner when you are done?

The scanner is blank. The onoly way I can write to the scanner si with ARC536.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you have favorites lists showing in Sentinel? If not, you have to read the scanner into Sentinel after writing the favorites lists to the scanner using ARC536.

WA1LMC

Using Sentinel, in the profile both Download and Monitor have to be turned on for each favorites list. Also in the profile, check that all appropriate service types are enabled.

Give this man a cigar. I went into the profile and turned on MONITOR and DOWNLOAD and Sentinel wrote the entire favorites list. If I had to guess, they did this because unlike BUTEL, you can not select what favorites you will upload or download. So with new favorites turned on and existing set to off, you do not delete favorites if you are appending to the scanner. Of coarse if I was not legally blind I could have read the manual and figured it out. Thank you and everyone for the help!!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Give this man a cigar. I went into the profile and turned on MONITOR and DOWNLOAD and Sentinel wrote the entire favorites list. If I had to guess, they did this because unlike BUTEL, you can not select what favorites you will upload or download. So with new favorites turned on and existing set to off, you do not delete favorites if you are appending to the scanner. Of coarse if I was not legally blind I could have read the manual and figured it out. Thank you and everyone for the help!!
Actually, you can select which Favorites to download, and which ones you want to monitor by default. That selection is on the "Scan Selection" tab of your profile in Sentinel.

Status
Not open for further replies.