Programming RS PRO-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma-2

Premium Subscriber
Bought the cable from Radio Shack & figured out how to install it (instructions were garbarge, didn't match the CD).

However I still can't communicate with the scanner, even through the cable is properly installed. Does anyone know if the scanner is supposted to be put into a special mode for communicating? When I plug in the cable nothing happens (continues to scan).

There's nothing in the manual about communicating with a PC except * "You can also upload or download programmed data to or from a PC using a USB cable available through your local RadioShack store." *

THAT'S IT.

That's the sum total of all they have to say about how to communicate with a PC.

I'm frustrated

Highpockets

Bought the cable from Radio Shack & figured out how to install it (instructions were garbarge, didn't match the CD).

However I still can't communicate with the scanner, even through the cable is properly installed. Does anyone know if the scanner is supposted to be put into a special mode for communicating? When I plug in the cable nothing happens (continues to scan).

There's nothing in the manual about communicating with a PC except * "You can also upload or download programmed data to or from a PC using a USB cable available through your local RadioShack store." *

THAT'S IT.

That's the sum total of all they have to say about how to communicate with a PC.

I'm frustrated

You need software to program your scanner, here are two that will work:

PSREdit300 - Configuration Editor for the PSR-300, PSR-400, PRO-163, PRO-164, PRO-97, PRO-2055 Scanners

Win97 - Data Management Software for the PRO-97, PRO-2055, PSR-300, PSR-400, PRO-164, and PRO-163 Scanners

enigma-2

Premium Subscriber
You need software to program your scanner, here are two that will work:[/
QUOTE]

Sorry, should have mentioned that I'm using BuTtel ARC300.

Here's what I've done: entered all local police freqs in bank 0, and some other stuff in bank 2 (left bank 1 empty). Clicked upload, both red and green lights on cable flashed and flickered. After it was through I found the scanner programmed with entirely different set of freqs in bank 1 (which was not supposed to have anything in it). Bank 0 and bank 2 were both empty. Have no idea where those freqs came from, ... could the preprogrammed freqs been entered somehow??

Reprogrammed manually, tried upload and nada. Nothing happened.

So original question, since the Radio Shack docs are as worthless as the local RS sales jocks, how does one program the scanner? Do I have to put it in a program mode to up/download data? And why is the BuTel not programming the scanner?

What do those of you who have a PRO164 do, to program it?

kvieira

When you plug the cable into the 164 the screen should change to clone mode. If you do not see this then you may be plugging the cable into the headphone jack and not the jack on the side of the scanner.. Also make sure you are not using the extension cable that comes with your programming cable.. you don't need or use that part of the cable for the 164.

On the side note.. did you set the ARC300 to use the proper comm port for the cable?

enigma-2

Premium Subscriber
When you plug the cable into the 164 the screen should change to clone mode. ... Also make sure you are not using the extension cable that comes with your programming cable.. you don't need or use that part of the cable for the 164.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

There was no manual that came with the cable (purchased new at local Radio Shack) and I read what I could on the RS website. (Store told me to use the extra cable).

Tried your advice and it finally worked perfectly. Went into clone more and was able to program from both ARC300 and Win97. (Think I like ARC300 as it seems easier to figure out.)

Thank you again, now I can sleep comfortably again (and at my age that's getting more and more difficult). <g>

Dennis W.
Northern Indiana

kvieira

So glad you got it working.. I too like ARC300 better.. Was easier to understand the screens.. Enjoy your sleep.. Coming from a guy who has sleep apnea I know very well how rough a bad nights sleep can be.. :)

MistressGwen

Premium Subscriber
programming pro 164

I just bought 1 yesterday - but on p27 of the manual u can dl for free off the net - just google radioshack pro 164 scanner manual and get it -pdf form - any manual just the same way- it tells u how to program so press SRCH REPEATEDLY until u get SR7 - there is a 7 step process - go dl the manual - I have a mac- but I want to try loading this thing manually, I have freq's I want of my own - let me know how u do!

Status
Not open for further replies.