• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming Software and Basics for Harris 7100 Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m new to civilian radios, my only experience being with military radios (152’s and 150’s) and bought 2 Harris 7100’s for my family. What programming software and cables should I get to get started?

merlin

These are commercial radios for like public safety etc.
The portables use a different programming cable from the mobiles.
I get mine from RF Guys about $70 USD
The mobiles, I make my own, about $20 USD in parts.
Programmer software, I use 'Programmer Ver. 17, 18, or 20 for these.
This is not like the simple civilian radios like Baofeng, it take a lot of reading the Harris/GE/MaCom programming manuals(several pending the features you want) the radios must have the features you want also.
Most of these are 800 Mhz band and you can't get an FCC license privately.
Lucky, you can find these in UHF band and program them into FRS frequencies.(possibly illegal here)
Sorry, I won't supply hardware, software. or advice how to use these illegally.
73s

These are commercial radios for like public safety etc.
The portables use a different programming cable from the mobiles.
I get mine from RF Guys about $70 USD
The mobiles, I make my own, about $20 USD in parts.
Programmer software, I use 'Programmer Ver. 17, 18, or 20 for these.
This is not like the simple civilian radios like Baofeng, it take a lot of reading the Harris/GE/MaCom programming manuals(several pending the features you want) the radios must have the features you want also.
Most of these are 800 Mhz band and you can't get an FCC license privately.
Lucky, you can find these in UHF band and program them into FRS frequencies.(possibly illegal here)
Sorry, I won't supply hardware, software. or advice how to use these illegally.
73s
What do you mean by “Programmer ver”? Is that on the Harris/ Ma-Com website?

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Like @merlin said, step one is what frequency are you licensed for? There is nowhere you can legally use that radio without a license and those radios are not legal on any of the license free radio services.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
What do you mean by “Programmer ver”? Is that on the Harris/ Ma-Com website?

Commercial radios obviously have their own versions of programming software, usually many versions/releases of it. For example in the Motorola world the APX cps is now up to version 22 or 23... it's constantly being updated and changed. On the Harris side they do things a little differently. Their legacy software was simply called 'Programmer' and covered a whole bunch of different radios. Programmer 18 was used quite a bit by hobbyists because it could be found in the wild and easily used. When Programmer R20 was released it required a license key to operate. That software has since been replaced by RPM (Radio Personality Manager) and subsequently RPM2. None of these software platforms are free or readily available for download from the L3Harris site.

merlin

So I’m not legally allowed to use it?
For a novice with commercial radio, no. For a well versed radio tech, one could use transverters that convert these to other bands like armature. you still need a ham license and the radio must be modified to comply with FCC part 97 for legal use.
Being a retired RF radio engineer, I started with ham radio in 1962. Still a hobby and passtime for me.
I have a box full of P7100s. When I program them, transmit is into a dummy load, not antenna. you can receive all you want. Some hardware work, they can go to 33CM ham bands.(still need that license).
Harris has an odd heirarchy with their programming software as 'Forts' outlined above and this can cost lots of money.
Harris (Tyco) or authorized distributors the only source. Test boxes and programming cables often turn up on ebay or GSA auctions.
My work in progress cubbyhole:
73s

Attachments

• MY_cubbyhole.jpg
    MY_cubbyhole.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 45
so I have to buy a license to use these? Is that like a business license? Or something anyone can get? As I said, I’m brand new to civilian radio

merlin

so I have to buy a license to use these? Is that like a business license? Or something anyone can get? As I said, I’m brand new to civilian radio
Hi. what licence is the key to install and use the programming software. That you may be able to get from a Harris radio
distributor. My key for ver. 20 cost $250, and only half works.the key for maintenance fails and I am out of luck there.
As for FCC, that takes a business station license and nothing for that is being licensed in the 800 Mhz band.
My suggestion is spend some time on FCC dot gov and read up about this band.
A user guide for your 7100s you can get and very recommended. (that I can supply)
73s

prcguy

The only FCC type acceptance for amateur radios is Part 15 for low level emissions, the transceivers are not type accepted for Part 97. You don't need any FCC type acceptance on a transmitter used within the US amateur bands.

For a novice with commercial radio, no. For a well versed radio tech, one could use transverters that convert these to other bands like armature. you still need a ham license and the radio must be modified to comply with FCC part 97 for legal use.
Being a retired RF radio engineer, I started with ham radio in 1962. Still a hobby and passtime for me.
I have a box full of P7100s. When I program them, transmit is into a dummy load, not antenna. you can receive all you want. Some hardware work, they can go to 33CM ham bands.(still need that license).
Harris has an odd heirarchy with their programming software as 'Forts' outlined above and this can cost lots of money.
Harris (Tyco) or authorized distributors the only source. Test boxes and programming cables often turn up on ebay or GSA auctions.
My work in progress cubbyhole:
73s

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I would love that user guide. And once I get my ham radio license, I can use it on those bands?
If your radios are 800MHz radios, then no. There is no 800MHz ham band. If the radio is VHF or UHF then you may be able to. Post the model number or a photo of the sticker on the radio and someone can tell you what it is. Maybe this hasn't become obvious yet, but the same model radio can be found in differing, non-compatible frequency bands. I see this lack of understanding mostly from volunteer fireman, who see the same model radio they use for sale on ebay and buys one only to find out they bought UHF when they needed VHF or vice-versa.

If your radios are 800MHz radios, then no. There is no 800MHz ham band. If the radio is VHF or UHF then you may be able to. Post the model number or a photo of the sticker on the radio and someone can tell you what it is. Maybe this hasn't become obvious yet, but the same model radio can be found in differing, non-compatible frequency bands. I see this lack of understanding mostly from volunteer fireman, who see the same model radio they use for sale on ebay and buys one only to find out they bought UHF when they needed VHF or vice-versa.
My model numbers are HT7170T601X

Loopy1

Feed Provider
Press the (M)enu key on the radio, scroll to "Revision" and press (M)enu again. Scroll through those screens and it will show you the RF band of the radio.

merlin

I would love that user guide. And once I get my ham radio license, I can use it on those bands?
As mentioned, these radios 'cannot' be used as is. It takes some serious modifications to make them work on the 33 CM ham bands, and that is it.
The user guide is too large to upload here. we can try PM.
73s

radiotech33

I would say if you are not a radio tech..or have a tech license...from the old school radio tech...my is for life time...lets get rid of programmers...

Status
Not open for further replies.