Programming Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
What do you use to program the BCD996T? I looked at the Uniden program and it seems very complicated. FreeScan seems okay but there is so many steps that I would mess up. Is there anything simple?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Software

The ARC program from Butel is a third choice, but I doubt it you will find it any easier. As the scanners become more complicated, so does the programming.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Butel, FreeScan and ProScan have/are software packages that can be used for programming the BCD996T scanners. FreeScan is "free" while there is a charge for the two others.

My primary "work horse" for programming is ARC 996 Pro. However all three will get the job done.

Scanner programming software is a lot like photo editing software. There are several choices available and some do certain things better than others. Just like the photo editing software takes the photo data and manipulates it, the scanner programming software maniuplates the scanner data.

In other words, the software is merely an interface between the computer and the scanner itself.

Modern scanner programming is complex and you should prepare yourself for the frustration of making mistakes. This is a rite of passage that most of us have experienced. It happens, but the good news is that you can fix it and have a good result, eventually.

Even better news - no matter how badly you may mess up your programming, you will not destroy your scanner. There is a way of doing a factory reset so that it can be internally re-programmed just the way it came from the factory.

Also if you are a Radio Reference premium subscriber, the programming software all have features where you can download data directly from RR. That makes quick work of programming and reduces the potential for data entry error. I think this feature is a "God-send".

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I have a BC15XT but it also works great with FreeSCAN. Very flexible program. Personally I think it's great.

teufler

File for Burleigh Cty

Here is a file that will get you going. Its Freescan 2.17m all the counties around Burleigh. Only a couple of trunking systems as that is what they are called in 996 land. I have added Quick key asignments to the varios counties so you can shut them off or turn them on as desired. It is a zippedfile, 7-zip works good as a utility for zipping and unzipping but any zip program will do. I struggled trying to locate the NDHPO Frequencies as I could not locate in Radio Reference. Found some with Sentinel.

Attachments

• BURLEIGH.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 51

teufler

burleighndhp file

Disreguard the first file. The state Highway Patrol was not complete. This file, its corrected. THE BURLEIGHNDHP.ZIP is correct or more complete

Attachments

• BURLEIGHndhp.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.