VE3MTQ said he wanted to Guelph City Operations, not emergency services. City OPs are MotoTRBO Capacity Plus which he most definitely can monitor with a TYT radio. (As mentioned above, see: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8334)
That Cap+ system has 5 channels on it, so in a nutshell:
- enter the talkgroups you wish to monitor as digital group contacts
- make an RX group list and put these contacts into it
- program in each of the 5 channels twice (each frequency with both time slots)
- set those channels to autoscan
- assign the RX group list to these channels
- make a scan list containing the 10 channels (5 freqs x2 to cover both time slots) and assign the scan list to each of the 10 channels
- add the 10 channels to a zone
That's the quick a dirty way of doing it. If you want to be able to sit on an individual talkgroup then it gets a little more involved.
thanks, FORTS, your added to a 390 is top the point. On an idvidual talk group, can't you just kerchunk the radio, assuming you had the privilege of using the frequency;s. I'm satill learning about the 3290 but doesn't that stop a scan?
Negative.... you don't want to be making any transmissions at all while monitoring a commercial system. In the setup I listed above that's one point I left out... all channels should be set to RX only.