Programming Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Please post the names of software which will program the Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT scanner.

Thank you.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'll do you one better - we have a wiki article (links are always blue) with this information...

Uniden DMA Software Support - The RadioReference Wiki

However before you jump in, you should realize that no matter what software you use, programming DMA is very different from the old bank scanners. In order to utilize software correctly, there are many concepts that must be understood. This article has lots of links to help you get started, and the Easier to Read manuals are all linked at the bottom - don't even think of using Uniden's offerings...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

FreeScan is freeware, and many folks start there...Mike

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Well thank you kindly for the information. I did look around Wiki, but had not come across the information that your links goes to. Thank you.

teufler

Freescan is good, many of the 396 users use this software. From there , some use Proscan and some use Arcxt by Butel. The 3 packages are very similar, though each had s unique approach, I think. Freescan is free, proscan and arcxt cost $30 dollars and up. If you subscrive to RadioReference (premium membership), data can be downloaded directly for radio use. All the programs do this though Freescan has an Ezgrab function that provides a diect entry approach. Ezgrab is Free, so there are two benefits in using Freescan. All three porograms offer a vitual mode or a mode where the scanner appears on your pc screen. Porscan and Arcxxt has a little more glitzy presentaion but you will get a logging and recording option on all three programs.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
My friend scanner did not come with the programming cable, so she is going have to buy one. Is the cable proprietary?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually, I think - I could be wrong - that his scanner didn't come with the serial cable - the one with that wierd mini connector on one side, and the DB9 on the other. Fortunately they can be had from Scanner Master...

Uniden 4' Serial Cable (BC15/95/246/396/996/230)

And then yes, one of the USB generic cables , if you already had the serial cable...

Or use the USB-1 instead of having to get both, which should also work...pay very close attention to the drivers - under Win8.1 it's a bit of a nightmare...Mike

Last edited:

darkwolf

Premium Subscriber
I will agree that win 8.1 just don't like the prophilic cable I have tried all drivers one worked for one day since then its been a bi*** nothing has worked at all maybe I need touch buy another cable I have now clue what else I van try

eaf1956

Feed Provider
My friend scanner did not come with the programming cable, so she is going have to buy one. Is the cable proprietary?

It is possible to use a generic Serial (NULL) modem cable to the rear of the 996 series the 396 series I believe require a cable from UNIDEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.