• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Protocol list question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
498
Location
Cranston, Rhode Island
The protocol "Aliases" available in my G5 are: 2-tone, 5-tone, MDC1200, DVOA, DMR, P25-C and P25-T. Which one of these is for regular analog narrow band fm? I want to add a couple local conventional analog police and fire freqs to my radio but dont know which protocol is the right one. I also cant find any place to add the CTCSS. The freq is 453.675 ctcss is 192.8 NFM.......
 
Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
498
Location
Cranston, Rhode Island

RaleighGuy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
17,826
Reaction score
28,474
Location
Raleigh, NC
When I add the new freq to my existing conventional freq list, I go to "next" and there is a section "protocol parameter setting" but there is no option for conventional narrow band fm, so I am stuck.
You would need to share screen shots, I just added your frequency (as shown in post #2, and only when I added the PL code did it ask, then it offered ctcss. Your NFM or FM is set in the E3 when you set bandwidth.

Next just moves you to E4, it is not required for conventional, click save and move on to E7
 

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
498
Location
Cranston, Rhode Island
You would need to share screen shots, I just added your frequency (as shown in post #2, and only when I added the PL code did it ask, then it offered ctcss. Your NFM or FM is set in the E3 when you set bandwidth.
OK let me get the screen shots......
 

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
498
Location
Cranston, Rhode Island
OK let me get the screen shots......
pic 1 is my conventional list...new freq in yellow......I then click "next" and I get pic 2....but no option to set a protocol for a conventional fm freq
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 24

RaleighGuy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
17,826
Reaction score
28,474
Location
Raleigh, NC
pic 1 is my conventional list...new freq in yellow......I then click "next" and I get pic 2....but no option to set a protocol for a conventional fm freq
Again, read Posts #4 and #6 again, you do not use E4 which is where it takes you. Click save and jump to E7.

You would need NEXT and E4, if one of the conventional frequencies were DMR or P25 and you had not already set a protocol, you have all protocols set, none that are need for analog freqs.
 

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
498
Location
Cranston, Rhode Island
OK I am at E7 but the new freq is not listed in the available list on that page. only my existing stuff I put in there.
 

Attachments

  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 8

RaleighGuy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
17,826
Reaction score
28,474
Location
Raleigh, NC
OK I am at E7 but the new freq is not listed in the available list on that page. only my existing stuff I put in there.
Then you either didn't save it in E3 or your settings are different than showed in Post #2, it worked fine for me.
 

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
498
Location
Cranston, Rhode Island
OK I saved and saved 3 times in E3......then I go over to the E7 and click on the square knob position I want to add this new freq to, Zone 1 knob position 8.....then when I get to zone and channel setting page the new freq not there...left box empty...right box has 13 dmr freqs already done and working.
 

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
498
Location
Cranston, Rhode Island
This is different than whats posted in post #2 I cant figure out what I am doing wrong.
 

Attachments

  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 12

RaleighGuy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
17,826
Reaction score
28,474
Location
Raleigh, NC
Are you trying to add it to a scan list? Remember, anything in a scan list must have its own zone/knob position. Look at post #2
 

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
498
Location
Cranston, Rhode Island
Are you trying to add it to a scan list? Remember, anything in a scan list must have its own zone/knob position. Look at post #2
I am trying to add a freq to an existing scan list or whatever its called....I just want to add to the 13 freqs I had already programmed....they are in zone 1 knob pos. 8.....I am trying just to add a new freq.....its not intuitive what to do.....I cant find how you got to the pic in post #2 I cant get to it.
 

RaleighGuy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
17,826
Reaction score
28,474
Location
Raleigh, NC
I am trying to add a freq to an existing scan list or whatever its called....I just want to add to the 13 freqs I had already programmed....they are in zone 1 knob pos. 8.....I am trying just to add a new freq.....its not intuitive what to do.....
Well, I can't explain it any better than I have in post 2 and 14, sorry I'm not a teacher. Only other bit of advice is look at the other frequencies in that scan list and maybe you'll understand. Hopefully someone else can explain better.
 

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
498
Location
Cranston, Rhode Island
I found I need to set to monitor mode then I get the same screen but no option for ctcss
 

Attachments

  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 9

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
498
Location
Cranston, Rhode Island
I think I have found the problem. I was expecting to follow the same routine programming analog that I did with digital. So after realizing this I added 5 analog freqs to the list of conventional ones.......then went to E7 and clicked on each of the 5 new entries separately and putting them in monitor mode then I had access to the CTCSS/DCS settings and was able to get them programmed in zone 4 (Analog) knob pos. 7.
There is no clear cut detailed information anywhere I could find to make this basically EASY task doable. I might type up a step by step analog programming guide because there isn't one....I know the radio scans analog SLOWLY but I am only monitoring 5 channels. If I designed a program like this PPS I would make it so if you were going to program a P25 system, you'd check off the P25 box so that ONLY P25 system configuration pages would appear in the PPS. Same thing with DMR, and Analog.....right now I was jumping all over the place not sure where to go next. Programming these 3 different protocols is very different from each other. Plus with all the options we wouldnt have to bother with. Well its not a scanner!
 

RaleighGuy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
17,826
Reaction score
28,474
Location
Raleigh, NC
right now I was jumping all over the place not sure where to go next. Programming these 3 different protocols is very different from each other. Plus with all the options we wouldnt have to bother with. Well its not a scanner!

Nor was it designed for the scanning hobbyist, it is a professional grade receiver.

But...If you l click on a entry the help dialog pops up on the left explaining what it is and what you can enter in the section.

7.JPG
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top