PSR-800 Encrypted TG Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azuth

Sorry for what might amount to a stupid question. I've searched the forums before posting this and didn't come up with anything that actually answered my question. I found some stuff that talked about my issue but didn't talk about a way to actually resolve the issue.

I live in Hawaii (Oahu) and the County of Honolulu's trunked system is of course listed here on the RR site. It's also in the Library listing (the most recent update from the RR site) of the EZScan software.

However, all of the Police, Fire, and EMS talkgroups are X'd out. I've read, and understand, that the X next to a talk group either means that the TG is encrypted or uses a system that the PSR-800 can't listen to for some reason or another. This is confusing for me because I thought the PSR-800 was supposed to be the cream of the crop when it came to scanners. It's brand new, so wouldn't they outfit it with the necessary tech to handle every system out there?

I've seen hinting in the threads that I've come across that there is a way to get these TGs added manually and I've done just that. I made sure the Import Options allows for the "Import of encrypted and unsupported talkgroup objects", and that both the "Lock out" and "Do not assign" options are unchecked.

I've then had to of course use the "select all" option for importing talk groups since the huge X's keep you from selecting the checkbox for that specific TG. Once imported into the scan list I've made sure that none of the TGs are checked for L/O and then imported.

In the scanner settings itself I've made sure that the "Simple Display" mode is unchecked and that EncMode is set to Noise. I figured that if they were encrypted that at least I'd hear something to let me know I successfully imported them.

I've also verified on the scanner itself after import that the TGs actually exist in the "Browse Objects" portion of the menu. They do in fact exist in the scanlist and when I monitor a single one I can see the signal strength meter moving back and forth and the "T" symbol shows so I'm pretty sure it's working.

However, nothing. After scanning for 15 minutes, I heard absolutely nothing. No encryption noise, no static, no nothing. Either I'm out of range (which is unlikely, and I've played around with the squelch to make sure I'm not cutting out everything), or there's nobody talking (which is HIGHLY unlikely), or I've screwed something up.

Could anyone please give me some advice, or point me to a "Programming the PSR-800 to listen to encrypted talkgroups for dummies" How-To website so that I can get this thing up and running?

The reason I bought this bad boy was that I read up on it. And from what I read (unless I'm a complete idiot, and I don't think I am lol), I thought it was clear that there wasn't a system that this thing couldn't handle. Was I wrong?

I appreciate all the help you guys can give me. Thanks in advance!

David

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The system is a hybrid of ProVoice and standard EDACS, from what I am seeing. ProVoice is not handled by any scanner, but can be monitored with DSD.

Any encrypted transmissions are not able to be listened to, and the GRE scanners mute them.

Are you sure you have selected the correct information for the towers you are near? (Trying to monitor the Whitmore tower in Waimanalo or Kuhuku is not going to work.)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8350i/4.6.1.294 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Yopu are very mistaken in thinking it will work on all systems, the big feature about the PSR800 is that t wiill decode 2xTDMA. There are many systems it will not handle. NXDN, Mototrbo, Opensky, and Provoice,TETRA, and TETRAPOL are some of the digital formats that it will not decode, and although it will follow EDACS it will not decode the digiital talkgroups. Provoice is not encryption, it is just a format that Harris/Macom/Ericson/GE never published, nor has the format been liicensed. You are SOL unless you use DSD to decode the audio

Status
Not open for further replies.