PSR-800: PSR-800 EZ Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Not sure what the hub bub is about. I had the old PSR800 before the upgrade by Whistler and I of course could not use the GRE ez-scan desktop app anymore. So I did what @Whistler_Support recommended and I was able to download the database and push it to my old GRE and had no scanning issues. BUT...I only used it for database changes and nothing else.

I cant test that any longer since my GRE is on its way back from Whistler after having the upgrade done. So now I am dedicated to using the Whistler 1080 ez-scan going forward.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
At some point a couple of years ago I attempted the hack upgrade (if I remember correctly) and failed. I havent touched the scanner since. I THINK I want to get it repaired...

Here's where I'm at with this. Power Off, No Batteries in, Hold Menu, Apply USB the following comes up on screen...
uP BootVer:RF1.1
uP App Ver: NONE

CPU SW Upgrade:
Waiting for USB

I release the Menu button. My computer detects the scanner. I click Test to test the USB Port. The software sees it. Pops up the message "The scanner currently contains no CPU application code! This update utility contains version 1.5" I click UPDATE.
The bottom line on the scanner changes to Error - Turn Off

the Software displays No data from the scanner (2). Please retry from step 4
At this point do I just send it to Whistler? What's the scanner worth after the upgrade by Whistler?

N8IAA

At some point a couple of years ago I attempted the hack upgrade (if I remember correctly) and failed. I havent touched the scanner since. I THINK I want to get it repaired...

Here's where I'm at with this. Power Off, No Batteries in, Hold Menu, Apply USB the following comes up on screen...
uP BootVer:RF1.1
uP App Ver: NONE

CPU SW Upgrade:
Waiting for USB

I release the Menu button. My computer detects the scanner. I click Test to test the USB Port. The software sees it. Pops up the message "The scanner currently contains no CPU application code! This update utility contains version 1.5" I click UPDATE.
The bottom line on the scanner changes to Error - Turn Off

the Software displays No data from the scanner (2). Please retry from step 4
At this point do I just send it to Whistler? What's the scanner worth after the upgrade by Whistler?

They will repair the "hack", and turn it into a WS-1080. The reason the scanner isn't recognized, is because of the "hack". But, it will cost you more than just the upgrade price..........

You'll have DMR capabilities.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
They will repair the "hack", and turn it into a WS-1080. The reason the scanner isn't recognized, is because of the "hack". But, it will cost you more than just the upgrade price..........

If the DSP 1.2 version was never applied, the PSR800 should be able to be recovered back to an 800 to eliminate the extra cost. But... if the 1.2 version of the DSP firmware was applied, only Whistler can fix that. It was the DSP version that bricked the firmware from further illegal hacks.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber

Wha'ts the best way to determine the cost?

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
If the DSP 1.2 version was never applied, the PSR800 should be able to be recovered back to an 800 to eliminate the extra cost. But... if the 1.2 version of the DSP firmware was applied, only Whistler can fix that. It was the DSP version that bricked the firmware from further illegal hacks.

What's the best way to try to recover?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
What's the best way to try to recover?

I'd first get a good set of batteries and try again.
If the radio comes on as soon as you insert the last battery, take a battery back out and hold the MENU key down while putting the battery back in.

It should stay powered off when you put all the batteries in though.
Once the batts are all in, then hold down the MENU key while plugging in the USB cable.
You should get the same screen you saw when you tried this before without batteries.

Give it 10 or 20 seconds or so and then select the correct Com port in the CPU Upgrade program you should have running already.
Click the TEST button in the upgrader program and make sure it sees the 800 again.
If so, cross your fingers and hit the UPDATE button and hope it works!
I'm thinking it may have thrown the error when you tried before if it did not detect batteries to keep it powered during the firmware upgrade.

If this works, great and you are back to a normal PSR800 that can be sent to Whistler for the cheaper cost official legacy upgrade.

If this fails again like it did when you tried without batteries, it probably means the scanner took the DSP upgrade that Whistler put out there to brick illegally upgraded radios. In this case, your only option is to send it in as is to Whistler and pay the higher cost for them to do their legacy upgrade. I was told when people send in models that were bricked, Whistler actually replaces the logic board which implies they cannot 'unbrick' a radio they bricked or it's just easier for them to replace the logic board. I'm not sure either is true.
Either way, you will now have the equivalent of a Whistler WS1080 which gives you DMR capability plus access to any future firmware and software upgrades.

If you used your 800 often until it was bricked, it's probably worth doing their upgrade as this model also covers P25 Phase II as well as DMR reception conventionally. It will not trunk track a DMR system though but they do very well for monitoring single channel DMR comms.

It's also possible yours is not really bricked and can be reversed back to an 800 using the same software hack that may have bricked it providing you saved any original firmware files needed to get back to original. That's all beyond my memory though as it's been so long since the hack was released. Maybe someone else can walk you through the steps to try to recover back to normal via email or something.

Good Luck!

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
I'd first get a good set of batteries and try again.
If the radio comes on as soon as you insert the last battery, take a battery back out and hold the MENU key down while putting the battery back in.

It should stay powered off when you put all the batteries in though.
Once the batts are all in, then hold down the MENU key while plugging in the USB cable.
You should get the same screen you saw when you tried this before without batteries.

Give it 10 or 20 seconds or so and then select the correct Com port in the CPU Upgrade program you should have running already.
Click the TEST button in the upgrader program and make sure it sees the 800 again.
If so, cross your fingers and hit the UPDATE button and hope it works!
I'm thinking it may have thrown the error when you tried before if it did not detect batteries to keep it powered during the firmware upgrade.

If this works, great and you are back to a normal PSR800 that can be sent to Whistler for the cheaper cost official legacy upgrade.

If this fails again like it did when you tried without batteries, it probably means the scanner took the DSP upgrade that Whistler put out there to brick illegally upgraded radios. In this case, your only option is to send it in as is to Whistler and pay the higher cost for them to do their legacy upgrade. I was told when people send in models that were bricked, Whistler actually replaces the logic board which implies they cannot 'unbrick' a radio they bricked or it's just easier for them to replace the logic board. I'm not sure either is true.
Either way, you will now have the equivalent of a Whistler WS1080 which gives you DMR capability plus access to any future firmware and software upgrades.

If you used your 800 often until it was bricked, it's probably worth doing their upgrade as this model also covers P25 Phase II as well as DMR reception conventionally. It will not trunk track a DMR system though but they do very well for monitoring single channel DMR comms.

It's also possible yours is not really bricked and can be reversed back to an 800 using the same software hack that may have bricked it providing you saved any original firmware files needed to get back to original. That's all beyond my memory though as it's been so long since the hack was released. Maybe someone else can walk you through the steps to try to recover back to normal via email or something.

Good Luck!

Just tried it step by step. Same results. I guess i'll bite the bullet and pay the higher price. As far as trying the original S/W I couldn't even imagine where that has gotten off to. Between the status of the radio, my schedule and the level of frustration I'm better off letting them do the repair then try any further. I do appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Dave

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
You will need psr-800 cpu firmware STANDALONE installer.

This works for the pro-668, psr-800, ws1080 and similar scanners.
If your scanner (Psr-800, Pro-18, Pro-668) has NOT had the legacy upgrade, your error may be caused by Whistler shutting down the update servers that those models used via ezscan/iscan, try this first... Facebook
You must have the comport driver for your scanner model installed and working on your computer or you will not be able to do this.
Unplug the scanner from the USB cord. Take out the batteries. Let it sit for awhile. Put the batteries back in. It should go back to a blank screen.

DO NOT TURN THE SCANNER ON!

Plug the USB cord into the scanner. DO NOT TURN THE SCANNER ON! Plug into the PC. An icon should appear on the bottom of your PC. It will show that the USB cord has connected. Bring up the EZScan/iscan software.

At the very top of the software, click on Updates, click on Check for all updates. Allow it to do all updates and upgrades (unless on unofficial hacked firmware). The scanner will tell you when it's finished. DO NOT UNPLUG THE USB CORD. When all updates/upgrades have finished, click on done/finished in the software. Then click on the icon and click on remove safely. Then your scanner should work.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

All you said was already tried. The OP has the correct serial drivers installed. The OP also has the standalone CPU updater for a PSR800 but it appears his radio was bricked when Whistler's DSP version was installed while running hacked firmware which then bricked the unofficial hacked firmware beyond repair by an end user.

You can update your info about Whistlers servers for the old GRE and RadioShack firmware and DB files! Anything that requires internet access while running the old GRE version of EZ-Scan for the PSR800 or iScan for the radioshack clones will no longer work due to Whistler not updating the certificate for the server(s) that hosted the GRE and the original clone models files. This includes any of the old firmware files and PC-App files as well as the weekly DB update files. If they are sent over an internet connection, the old EZ-Scan and iScan apps will crash and not give you any of the old files. Usually the old Ezscan and iScan apps just throw an error these days. In many instances, you must use task manager to kill the old app as the app crashes hard and hangs when you try to close it.

For those still running official GRE models or the clones will now need to manually copy the DB files over to their GRE EZ-Scan PSR800 folder to get the weekly DB updates into their legacy radios if they don't wish to let Whistler do the legacy upgrade for one reason or another..
The old standalone CPU updater for the GRE PSR800 is still available via a Google search which can be used to recover an unmodified PSR800 that looses it CPU App firmware. I think a copy of that standalone CPU updater is actually attached to a post in this thread.
I'm not sure if standalone CPU Updaters are available for the PSR800 clones sold by RadioShack but if they are, a Google search should find them easily.

I strongly advise anyone still running an original GRE PSR-800 or one of its clones to find and secure copies of the standalone CPU Updaters for their respective model if they do not plan on letting Whistler upgrade those radios to a WS1080 with their Legacy Upgrade package.
The time will probably come where the old model looses its CPU firmware and the only free way to recover is by using the Standalone CPU updater program for their respective model. I know GRE has a standalone CPU updater as mentioned earlier but I'm not sure about the two different radioshack clones and if standalone CPU updaters were ever released for those models. If so, I'd grab copies if anyone intends on keeping any of the old models running and does not plan on taking Whistler up on their legacy upgrade offer.

I think I recall seeing a post maybe in the radioshack forum where someone posted a link or info about this topic for the CPU updaters for the old unmodified iScan based models but I don't really remember what it all said.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber

If your scanner (Psr-800, Pro-18, Pro-668) has NOT had the legacy upgrade, your error may be caused by Whistler shutting down the update servers that those models used via ezscan/iscan, try this first... Facebook
You must have the comport driver for your scanner model installed and working on your computer or you will not be able to do this.
Unplug the scanner from the USB cord. Take out the batteries. Let it sit for awhile. Put the batteries back in. It should go back to a blank screen.

I clicked on the FB link and it says content not available right now.
This is the name of the updater I am attempting to use.
CPUUpdater_0602902_F1.5

Nasby

How would I manually copy the DB files into my PRO-18 programming software?

J9237

DO NOT TURN THE SCANNER ON!

Plug the USB cord into the scanner. DO NOT TURN THE SCANNER ON! Plug into the PC. An icon should appear on the bottom of your PC. It will show that the USB cord has connected. Bring up the EZScan/iscan software.

At the very top of the software, click on Updates, click on Check for all updates. Allow it to do all updates and upgrades (unless on unofficial hacked firmware). The scanner will tell you when it's finished. DO NOT UNPLUG THE USB CORD. When all updates/upgrades have finished, click on done/finished in the software. Then click on the icon and click on remove safely. Then your scanner should work.
so by what you are saying is that my pro18 not being hacked but the servers with lib updates and fw cpu updates are now offline? am i correct, i just moved and found that the hutchinson ks reno county ks an the tx is not being picked up anymore by this little scanner i got for $5 at yard sale, and i am having the same problem as described above i live on SSI and cannot afford this whistler prices thanks in advance 4 ur answers to my inquiry my scanner does pick up the state troopers after the last lib update i did over a year ago went to face book nothing there to help me thanks again

kruser

Premium Subscriber
wow GOT YOU tightie whities in an uproar do you? i have my bills paid and other bills paid, and from the other entries upgrade is like $50 to $60 and u did not answer my inquire above

Try and save up the money to send it in to Whistler for their official legacy upgrade.
It's worth the cost if you can swing it.
Not only will it give you access to the popular DMR mode today, it will also allow you to get updates from the radioreference database again as well as any future firmware updates they may release.

You stop using the GRE version of EZ-Scan for the PSR 800 and use Whistler's version for the WS1080 instead as that's basically the model whistler turns your PSR800 into with their legacy upgrade.

I'd try and do it especially if you only paid $5 bucks at a garage or estate sale for your 800.

Status
Not open for further replies.