PSR-800 issues with a BRAND NEW radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbabubba

I am having a problem with my new PSR-800. I first tried to use the USB port to send the updated library to it using ez-scan, the scanner will not initialize. It scrozzled the SD card.

If I try to reformat the micro SD card through the USB port and ez-scan it seems to work as far as the program is concerned, but the scanner will not initialize.

If I remove the supplied micro SD card I can format it with a micro-SD adapter and transfer the library to it with ez-scan. The scanner works.

I have had no luck with micro SD cards except for the one supplied with the unit, even if I use the SD formatter recommended on the GRE site. I tried a 4gb PNY and a Lexar. Both class 4 cards.

What am I doing wrong? I tried calling support and the GRE mailbox is full and no one will answer the phone. I guess they are closed today (the 26th) even though their message does not say so.

So, I can only use the micro card they supplied, and the USB library transfer does not work. URGH!!!

Jeff

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Is radio turned OFF while trying to update library?

PSR-800 works well with San Disk Micro SD Cards.

bubbabubba

Yep. Radio is turned off when I try to transfer the data files. And, it scrozzles the SD card that came with the radio, which is a real bummer.

I guess I will need to try a SAN Disk if I can find one on sale. But, THANKS for the suggestion...

Jeff

Jakemcgraw

If your referring to updating the library while the 800 is connected to your pc with the usb cable, the scanner needs to be turned on.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
If your referring to updating the library while the 800 is connected to your pc with the usb cable, the scanner needs to be turned on.

Yes, if you want to corrupt the SD card, leave the radio on.

If you want to update your config or library without a hitch, leave radio off.

Jakemcgraw

Yes, if you want to corrupt the SD card, leave the radio on.

If you want to update your config or library without a hitch, leave radio off.

Ive done it according to the 800's instruction manual. Radio on, and connected to the pc,,scroll down on the radio menu to update library, no problem here at all.

rwier

Ive done it according to the 800's instruction manual. Radio on, and connected to the pc,,scroll down on the radio menu to update library, no problem here at all.

"update library" in your above...Did you mean "Update from LIb", from the radios menu? If yes, you are confused and BeerNutz is correct. In that case the "connection" to the pc is for power only, and no data is transfered.

Last edited:

bubbabubba

According to page 42 of the manual, the scanner must be off when trying to update via USB cable...which is how I was trying to update it.

I just bought a 4gb SanDisk--the third brand I am trying. I will post my results shortly. The Shack had it on "SALE" for 9.99, down from 13.00. Best Buy had only PNY which I tried earlier without luck.

Will reply back shortly. THANKS for all of the replies.

Jeff

Jakemcgraw

"update library" in your above...Did you mean "Update from LIb", from the radios menu? If yes, you are confused and BeerNutz is correct. In that case the "connection" to the pc is for power only, and no data is transfered.

Yes i believe i messed up there, im going by updating the library from the radio...referring to page 58 of the 800's manual.

Last edited:

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
According to page 42 of the manual, the scanner must be off when trying to update via USB cable...which is how I was trying to update it.

I just bought a 4gb SanDisk--the third brand I am trying. I will post my results shortly. The Shack had it on "SALE" for 9.99, down from 13.00. Best Buy had only PNY which I tried earlier without luck.

Will reply back shortly. THANKS for all of the replies.

Jeff

Get ready to have some fun.

Use EZ Scan to prepare your SD card. After formatting it will create the directories needed for when you update your config or library.

When updating your config or library you will need a little more patience than you had on your prom night or waiting in line at the liquor store. Sometimes the window showing files being tranferred is very slow to pop up. Do not unplug USB cable or turn radio on till a small window pops up saying something like, update complete.

bubbabubba

a little progress with the new card

The good news--the SanDisk 4 GB did format properly using the SD card utility mentioned on the GRE website, and I was able to use ez-scan to program the card using an SD adapter. The scanner sees the card and scans.

The bad news--When I tried to use the ez-scan program via USB port connected to the scanner...my computer sees the scanner and starts charging the NIMh batteries. The bad news is that it corrupts the card when I try to format it via the cable/scanner.

That leads me to believe there is a problem somewhere between my system (Win 7 32 bit), ez-scan, my USB port, and the scanner.

I guess I see what gets posted tonight and try it in the morning...or hope GRE can help if they are opened...

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Jeff

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Ok, just skip the PC/USB problem. Many here program their 800 by taking the SD card out of the radio and program it with an adapter. They say it is much faster this way.

Last edited:

rwier

....................................................................., im going by updating the library from the radio...referring to page 58 of the 800's manual.

From the area of the manual that you referenced above:
data in your Library. As you browse and pick new objects for your
programming, you can be confident that your programming will
be based on current Library data."

The above quoted is the activity that requires the radio to be turned OFF to avoid damage to the MicroSD Card. Data will transfer FROM your computer TO the TURNED OFF radio. Now we will look at the next two paragraphs (they follow the above paragraph) in the manual:

you never have to worry about missing changes that may be
made in the RadioReference data from time to time."

"To use this feature, first connect your PSR-800 to an external
power supply. The PSR-800 will not begin the Update from
Library process unless the radio is connected to an external
power source. Once the radio is connected to an external power
source, select the Update from Library command from the Main
Menu. The PSR-800 will update all programmed objects with the
latest data from the Library."

This activity is done with the power on but the power needs to be external (not batteries). It is, of course, done with the radio ON. The computer "connection" is ONLY for providing power (you could supply this power other ways). All activity occurs IN the radio. NO data is being transferred between the radio and the computer.

This activity is known as Updating the Radio FROM the Library (the Library in the radio). There is no such thing as "updating the library from the radio" (from yours above). At least I can't find a reference to it.

Jakemcgraw

rwier .. What your saying I understand...to be exact, what im referring to is on page 43 of the manual, if you read all of that page.

CVASSB

You turn off the PSR800. Plug the scanner into your personal computer to update the library. Then turn it on. Scroll down to update the library,and press the button. When it has loaded the library updates,turn the scanner off before you unplug it from the computer.

Jakemcgraw

You turn off the PSR800. Plug the scanner into your personal computer to update the library. Then turn it on. Scroll down to update the library,and press the button. When it has loaded the library updates,turn the scanner off before you unplug it from the computer.

You explained it much better than me.

bubbabubba

ok--i am ready to give up and sell this thing for $1.00.

I tried the load again from the USB and got an error when trying to transfer a certain .dat file. What causes that?

I tried to deinstall the program completely, and re-installing, but it is hiding my old libraries somewhere. Short of going to another computer, how can i COMPLETELY remove the installation and all data files and try re-installing again???

ANy ideas?

jeff

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
ok--i am ready to give up and sell this thing for $1.00.

I tried the load again from the USB and got an error when trying to transfer a certain .dat file. What causes that?

I tried to deinstall the program completely, and re-installing, but it is hiding my old libraries somewhere. Short of going to another computer, how can i COMPLETELY remove the installation and all data files and try re-installing again???

ANy ideas?

jeff

I'll give you $5. Try deleting (or moving) the data files under "Documents" or "My Documents" (depending upon your OS).

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.