Public information request for talkgroups denied

kandcclasen

The talkgroups recently changed for PSERN in King County, Washington State, so I submitted a public information request and received the following reply. They actually sent me three pages of redacted info (attached). This doesn't seem correct. They must not realize that bad actors can figure this stuff out quite easily:

In accordance with RCW 42.56.520 I am acknowledging receipt of your request and providing the responsive records. However, these records are redacted based on the following exemptions.

The PSERN Operator has a Talkgroup listing which is exempt from disclosure pursuant to RCW 42.56.420 for security purposes. The public disclosure of the PSERN Talkgroup information would endanger the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of our information technology and telecommunications infrastructure because a member of the public could use this information to interfere with public safety communications during response to an emergency incident, including terrorist acts. Accordingly, these listings are exempt under RCW 42.56.420 (1) and (4) on the following bases:

(1) Talkgroup listings are “portions of records assembled, prepared, or maintained to prevent, mitigate, or respond to criminal terrorist acts”, and

(4) Talkgroup listings are “Information regarding the public and private infrastructure and security of computer and telecommunications networks, consisting of security passwords, security access codes and programs, access codes for secure software applications, security and service recovery plans, security risk assessments, and security test results to the extent that they identify specific system vulnerabilities, and other such information the release of which may increase risk to the confidentiality, integrity, or availability of security, information technology infrastructure, or assets.”

Based on these exemptions, we have redacted the Talkgroup listings from the attached documents related to the PSERN Talkgroup ID list.

PSERN now considers your request fulfilled and closed. If you believe that PSERN has misconstrued your request in any manner, please respond to me with the bases of your contentions so that we may work together to resolve any concerns.

Best regards,
Tracey M. Doss
Administrator | Puget Sound Emergency Radio Network Operator
O: (253) 346-0848 | www.psern.org

Attachments

• Wave talkgroups.pdf
    303.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Wave talkgroups ATG.pdf
    26.9 KB · Views: 104

louisik1

Feed Provider
My mostly ignorant understanding is they tried to do this years ago but "the court said they had to provide the info as a matter of public interest", or something like that. It has been a don't ask don't tell situation since, I think. But I could be totally full of bs, which it seems I am more and more as I get older.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The talkgroups recently changed for PSERN in King County, Washington State, so I submitted a public information request and received the following reply. They actually sent me three pages of redacted info (attached). This doesn't seem correct.

I'm surprised they sent you that much info, most agencies claim law enforcement exemptions and don't send anything. Doesn't surprise me at all.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I'm inclined to say... don't poke the bear!!

I'm actually surprised that they haven't enabled PSERN LE encryption - yet. I suppose it's only a matter of time, but why remind them? The system is stable.... maybe in 2024?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
So who is going to decode all the info and post it here?
There are a number of us that monitored/(still monitor) PSERN with multiple RTL-SDRs, when it was coming on-line and reported the info to the RR database.

Some TGs were easy to figure out, (PSERN TG# X 16 = old KCERS TG#).
Some new ones are still being documented.

Sure, post it here, and certainly this is the place to post if you see/hear something, or have a question, but any VERIFIED info should be submitted to RR (menu/submit changes).

lnlaswell

Premium Subscriber
You live the United States of America. But if you are in Washington State and been involved in the legal system the following statement holds true.
"Welcome to the United States of Washington", were normal doesn't apply. Even if they could give you information. they won't. That is until they are sued or threatened to be sued. Now I will bite my tongue and say no more as I have said way too much already.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
You live the United States of America. But if you are in Washington State and been involved in the legal system the following statement holds true.
"Welcome to the United States of Washington", were normal doesn't apply. Even if they could give you information. they won't. That is until they are sued or threatened to be sued. Now I will bite my tongue and say no more as I have said way too much already.
Lol, I believe I first remark washington state as "marshal law state" when I was around 10 yrs old..