Putnam County SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

biomedbob

Premium Subscriber
Love your feed. I'm a 17 year veteran of Putnam County FD. How are you hearing the SO? I have a new HP-1E and a bunch of old scanners including a Bearcat 800XLT which was built before the cellular frequenciy exclusions.

Can I do an excrimator tap on one of these and find some software?

Any help you can afford will be appreciated.

kf4br

thassler

The feed is from a dedicated XPR4550 mobile in the radio room at the Sheriff's Office. I'm the IT/Radio Tech for the Sheriff's Office (Trey). Right now the only way to hear MotoTrbo is with a Trbo capable radio. I've read about a Linux application out there that can decode audio via a tap but I haven't had the time to explore that. Rumor is Rescue and Fire will be asking for radio funding this budget. If funded, you guys will have Trbo capable radios before the end of this year probably.

iamhere300

All I can say good luck with the TRBO because everyone around my area that I know that went to it, has had nothing but problems with them, and one agency went back to there old analog system and the other has sunk so money into it that they can not go back,been almost 3 yrs. and still having communication problems with transmissions garbled. When a Dispatcher and a Officer within 2.5 miles of each other can not talk to each other without garbled transmission there is something wrong. They have had different moto techs working on this system from different areas and still can not fix it. I guess you get what you pay for.

Oh come on. You seem really negative about TRBO, but sadly your statements do not hold a lot of water.

What agencies are having such problems?

And the one that supposedly has so much money invested they can't go back, simply switch back to analog, all the equipment is capable via programming.

JRayfield

I'd like to know who these agencies are, that are having so much trouble.

I work a lot with MOTOTRBO and I'm a licensed Application Provider in the MOTOTRBO Application Developer's Program so I have access to information about MOTOTRBO to which dealers don't have access. I would like to visit with these agencies and see if I can help them solve their problems.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

All I can say good luck with the TRBO because everyone around my area that I know that went to it, has had nothing but problems with them, and one agency went back to there old analog system and the other has sunk so money into it that they can not go back,been almost 3 yrs. and still having communication problems with transmissions garbled. When a Dispatcher and a Officer within 2.5 miles of each other can not talk to each other without garbled transmission there is something wrong. They have had different moto techs working on this system from different areas and still can not fix it. I guess you get what you pay for.

iamhere300

Have you had any problems with your New TRBO System. 2 Law Enforcement Agencies I know have had a lot of problems with that system.

So TRamrod38 - you can't seem to answer which agencies you are talking about. You have two experienced people wanting to help them, myself I have a number of DMR repeaters on the air, and when it comes to DMR John Rayfield (I have got to give the devil his due) is probably one of the most knowledgeable individual there is.

I can only assume that possibly you were exagerating a bit?

thassler

Putnam Sheriff and Putnam EMS are using a digital radio system called 'MotoTrbo'. At this time there is no commercially manufactured scanner that will decode this type of digital. The audio feed is from a Motorola two-way radio (the same type radio that is used by the Deputies). The audio is sent to RadioReference.com's servers which allows internet users to listen to the transmissions.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Putnam Sheriff and Putnam EMS are using a digital radio system called 'MotoTrbo'. At this time there is no commercially manufactured scanner that will decode this type of digital. The audio feed is from a Motorola two-way radio (the same type radio that is used by the Deputies). The audio is sent to RadioReference.com's servers which allows internet users to listen to the transmissions.

Just curious--what is the "delay time" from when a call is transmitted to when it can be heard on RR "live audio"?

thassler

Does dispatch still have the old channels so if surrounding counties call in that they can talk to them?
Thank You

thassler

Sheriff's Dispatch and the Putnam 911 Center monitor the analog interop channel VCALL10 which is 155.7525 TPL 156.7 All the Sheriff radios have the following analog interop channels:

VFIRE21 154.280000 TPL 156.7
VFIRE22 154.265000 TPL 156.7
VLAW31 155.475000 TPL 156.7
VLAW32 155.482500 TPL 156.7
VTAC11 151.137500 TPL 156.7
VTAC12 154.452500 TPL 156.7
VTAC13 158.737500 TPL 156.7
VTAC14 159.472500 TPL 156.7
VTNTAC 159.705000 TPL 156.7
Mutual Aid Repeater RX:154.755000 TX:156.015000 TPL 100.00

thassler

The original analog frequencies 155.655 and 156.090 will be dedicated to the digital IP site connect system so outside agencies will want to use the VCALL10 channel to contact dispatch.

Trey
Thanks for the information. Our officer had been asking about how to make contact with putnam co. if need. I will let them know. We are planning to put the V channels in when we narrow band.

Thank again

JRayfield

It's nice to see someone handling interoperability like it is supposed to be done, using the interop frequencies. Having an analog repeater for mutual aid is also excellent. Going a step further, an 'interop controller', designed to connect into the IP Site Connect System at the IP level, and connected into the analog repeater, would give complete interoperability between the MOTOTRBO system and other agencies still on analog.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Chief2402

TRamrod38......I have been following some of your posts about the Motorola MotoTrbo system. I am located in the State of Ohio. In February, 2011 our agency began using the Motorola MotoTrbo system and have had nothing but problems with the system since inception. Now 16 months later, the problems are getting worse instead of better. I am curious of the agency names that have used this system and have either abandoned the system or are continuing to experience problems with it. Can you help?

thassler

We went from wideband analog to a 3 repeater site connect MotoTrbo system back in March. First hand experience is that it works very well compared to our only other choice of narrowband analog. What kind of problems are you having; coverage problems and/or garble voice? Are you running a single repeater site or IP Site Connect? Are you running mixed mode digital or digital only?

Chief2402

We are running the Motorola MotoTrbo system with a total of 5 repeater sites. Coverage problems are an understatement. We do experience garble voice transmissions and a majority of our problems, although not all our problems, are with public safety personnel using the portable radios when out of the vehicle. Our portables are the Motorola XPR6550. We also are experiencing transmissions where the Comm Center will copy someone marking, however, other sectors cars will not hear the radio traffic. Other times, personnel can transmit car/car but Comm Center cannot copy the traffic. We have experienced problems with this system since inception in March, 2011 and radio techs in our area cannot pinpoint a problem. Just curious of agencies using this digital system that may be having the same type of issues.

thassler

We had the same problem when we first went live. Our 3 site connected repeaters have a large overlap area. Some cars may roam to the east repeater while others may be on one of the other two repeaters. Dispatch works off the same repeater all the time but can change if needed. At first we had the exact same problem you describe. Mobiles hearing other mobiles but dispatch not hearing, dispatch hearing mobiles but other mobiles not hearing ect .... Our problem was within the IP wide area network connecting the repeaters. Some connections were direct microwave while others utilized internet connections with routers and port mapping. We switched all sites to a tunneling device designed specifically to pass multicast traffic and give the appearence to the repeaters that they are all on the same network. This fixed our problem completely. If you're interested in more info just let me know....

-Trey

Chief2402

MotoTrbo Questions

thassler......Thanks for the response. This may be the answer to one of the many issues that we have had with this digital system. I have expressed my concerns to are radio repair personnel that I believed that a roaming problem existed. Each of our repeater sites are named in respect to their geographic location. As you are driving throughout the County, you can watch the towers change on the radio ID screen on the mobiles in vehicle and on the portables. There are times that our guys can be within eye shot of a tower site, but showing a different tower site on their radio outside the geographic area that they are in. This results in garbled transmissions or guys just not getting into the Comm Center at all..

Status
Not open for further replies.